March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Terry, TX

This President...knew that Dodd and Geithner inserted the authorization for the bonuses to be given out. The whole sham of grilling Mr. Liddy was heinous and orchestrated....and could endanger peoples lives. Obama was not outraged....I think it was just ploy ...to now try to grab more power for the Treasury....However this Treasury Power Grab is unconstitutional... Truman tried it and it was overturned .

These guys are really good about not upholding the Constitution... speech, guns, tax laws...etc

March 24, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. Lajuanda, Dallas TX

Actually he said that he likes to know what he's talking about before he speaks.

March 24, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  3. Grant in Calgary

There was no doubt the question was impertinent. It was also delivered in an arrogant and condescending fashion.

I understand Mr. Henry is relatively young and trying to make his name with a major news outlet, but he needs to do so with insightful questions and thoughtful analysis. Not with these sort of "gotcha" jabs.

He was rightfully put in his place and I cheered when your President did it.

Peace and love from the north

March 24, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  4. tom NY

ya, because it was a impertinent and rude/stupid question. I hate when reporters do that.

March 24, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  5. kysha

Thank GOD a prez who thinks!

March 24, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  6. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

The question was impertinent.

March 24, 2009 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  7. Debbie Jo from Kokomo

Impertinent? Naw – Ed Henry was just looking to:
    1) Pick a fight
    2) Get more air time
    3) Appear more credible than Ann Coulter
    4) ALL of the above!

March 24, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  8. Tammy

Wow! Someone who likes to know what he is speaking about before he actually speaks – such a novel idea. Maybe the folks at CNN should try this approach. Stop the "gotcha," alarmist journalism and actually practice real, meaningful journalism. I do hope that CNN replays the brief Obama/Ed Henry exchage over and over and over and over and over and over again until we are all delirious over the next several days. One up for President Obama.

March 24, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  9. kaydeedee

The media and the opposition party have been pick, pick, picking apart every word or move by Obama since Day 1. I can see where he might think that was a stupid question. It's so refreshing to have a President who thinks, period.

March 24, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  10. sam69

I did not like Ed's tone. He should be polite but firm

March 24, 2009 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  11. sallly

"It took us a couple of days because I like to think about what I'm talking about before I speak," this guy is not in touch with the past and how often he speaks, uh, I hope he was speaking w/o thinking the umpteen gaffes uttered; otherwise, it speaks volumes about his noodle. this is outrageous that he supposedly needed so long. it did not take anyone else that long to process foul and tragic. here we go.

March 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  12. Josh

I am sorry, that is stupid reporting. He is obviously not implying that there is anything wrong with the question or questioner. He is stating very clearly that he did not want to jump to alarm or conclusions about the bonus' until he had adequate facts.

The media has GOT to stop pressing people for immediate and thoughtless answers. This is a time when any rash comment can cost billions of dollars and thousands of jobs. Bravo for Mr. Obama for stopping to think before making a comment.

Bill Schneider has got to listen to the both the question and the answer and think about it himself before commenting. I have lost much respect for his reporting from this simple and wrong inference.

March 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  13. Marty, FL

Well said, President Obama.

March 24, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  14. Hmmmm....

Wasn't that what he said as Russia was invading Georgia- I think we may want a little quicker cognitive ability here.

March 24, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  15. Ray in North Carolina

Yeah, or in other words "Sit down and shut up!"

Go Barack!

March 24, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  16. Stanley Kolodziejczak

Great answer. Shows knee jerk reactions, especially when on the attack should be carefully weighed.

March 24, 2009 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  17. linda

RE Ed Henry's question:
    Indeed, the question was not worthy of CNN...rather the scent of tabloid journalism wafted about with Henry's insistence on repeating the inflamatory tag. And he was duly shut down with a pointed rebuke!
    Obama is so intelligent and articulate that I stand amazed...and grateful for this man at this time.

March 24, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  18. Seth in Jacksonville, FL

Best answer of the night.

March 24, 2009 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  19. Eyitayo Onifade

Why would you want the president to give a rushed answer to a question that didn't require an immediate response?

March 24, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  20. HPfan77

I believe the answer to this question was the exact one that he SHOULD have given. Finally, a president that thinks before he speaks!

March 24, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  21. Peter E

Wow! A politician thinking before speaking? What the heck is he doing in Washington? That's not how it works! Politicians are required by the pundits of their party to parrot talking points without questioning or thinking! That's how it worked for the past decade at least!

March 24, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  22. Jan Illinois

And it was, we have just gotten out from under the old cowboy way of not knowing what your talking about, just mouth off and think later, it cost us 4500 soldiers, enough is enough of that.

March 24, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  23. YBM

No, the delay was so he could try to figure out how to cover his behind since he knew and approved the AIG bonuses in his Spendulus package. I cannot believe how many sheeple are believing this guy and not listening to what he says or paying attention to what he is doing. I guess the sheeple are all waiting with their hands out. Well, pretty soon no one will be working then where will the hand out money come from????

March 24, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  24. george

Should the quote have been "...I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak." ??

March 24, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  25. r white

If you go back and look, the President said that, "I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak." Hardly impertinent, highly refreshing.

March 24, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |