March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Janet

That's a "tough" answer?

March 24, 2009 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  2. Bush League

LOL...."seemed to imply???" Sure....it was just an innocent question.

March 24, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. sprkl12000

And it was....that was the BEST answer of the night...people must be use to having a President that speaks on things before getting all the facts...

March 24, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  4. patrick

I was like darn it!

March 24, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  5. Joan , Ontario

The other journalists asked good, thoughtful questions on important issues. Ed Henry seems to always ask questions that try to cause controversy. Why do they waste time allowing him to ask negative questions? There are important issues to discuss.

March 24, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. laughing@theGOP

I wish many more would wait a few days.. think a few days without trying to beat the press to the headlines.. 98% of the time not having all the facts.. getting everyone in a bunch..

more people should think more.. talk less..

March 24, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  7. abraxis

I know this is shocking for some people but intelligent people who have to deal with complex issues often have to think about how to proceed!

March 24, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

President Obma is brilliant and it is sometimes diffcult to understand after failure from the past 8 years.

March 24, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  9. Anonymous

The question became impertinent when he hogged the floor to ask it three times in an acusatory manner.

March 24, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. serah

I think that was great answer, It is good for him to get the facts right and then take action because the matter was serious.

March 24, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. Require registration for comments

Seems like a pretty impertinent question to me...

March 24, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. Chad

I liked the answer. To most of americans fed up with the drama, it was quick and direct. I like Ed but come on, lets move forward.

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  13. Mike

Obama couldn't go public and talk about it until his statement had been writen for him and posted on a teleprompter.

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  14. rexx

He likes to "think" before he speaks?!? It took him DAYS to "think" about this? lol And this is the guy who is the Messiah the one who will save us ALL? lol Oh just keep spending money we don't have Mr President that should work lol.

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  15. Ben

No, he wanted to stay there and talk to me and get that annoying Ed Henry on my behalf. Today, justice was served!

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  16. Ms. Lady

That is NOTwhat he said, he said, "I like to KNOW what I'm talking about before I speak". CNN quit trying to soften the blow for you boy Ed Henry. He got shut down on national television...lol.

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  17. phoenix86

That was a "tough question"? Obama can't handle the softball CNN throws to him. Heaven help us when he meets foriegn leaders.

March 24, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  18. Gary

I thought the quote was "It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak"

March 24, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  19. Dave in Illinois

It wasn't an answer, it was a brushoff. And, there are no impertinent questions to our elected public servents.

March 24, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  20. jdp

"Tough" answer... you guys are such babies. How about this for an answer – it was a stupid question... who cares why it took him 2 days to "express outrage?"

March 24, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  21. Susan

speeches, speeches, speeches and speeches................
    this is all he got.

sorry for wasting my vote. McCain is responsible for this. Had he not selected Palin, he would have got my vote.

March 24, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  22. Carson New York

You guys are reading too much into that. Seriously. Honestly, wouldn't you prefer the leader of the free world to prone to careful thought before he starts shooting from the hip?

March 24, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  23. Other Jean

That wasn't how it seemed to me. I thought his anger was directed not at the individual asking the question at that moment but at the idea, often expressed over the past week, that he should have 'performed' his outrage immediately. This is not a man who goes off the deep end or acts impulsively. Why would he rush before the cameras to express outrage? He'd take in the information, think about it and only comment when he was ready and if he thought a comment was needed. I'll bet any President sees and hears far more that's an outrage than we'll ever know.

March 24, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  24. LaShawn

I thought the answer was pretty good. He is good. I frankly am tired of hearing about these AIG bonuses. Majority of the people gave them back. The media needs to let this story go.. It has become tired.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  25. Tom

No he waits to see hoiw the political winds are blowing.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |