March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Alex

That was good!

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  2. Eddie

You ask an imbecilic question you should expect a hot response.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  3. Chin

Mr Henry's question was, indeed, impertinent. I, for one, was ecstatic at the President's timely and befitting (of his office) response.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. Perusing-through

President Obama: "It took us a couple of days because I like to think about what I'm talking about before I speak."

Ahhhh . . . Finally . . . . Intelligence in the Presidency; what a wonderful and fresh idea.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  5. Camille

Bennett can say what he wants about Obama's demeanor before and after Ed Henry's question but I say his answer resonated with me. It seems that when CNN doesn't have a focus group they don't know how answers are perceived by the American people.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  6. fella from chicago

Man was on national television. Why wasn't he surrounded with only his Apostles and given questions only from the so-called news people from NBC and MSNBC? And where was his teleprompter? Just wasn't fair.

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  7. Lynn

Ed Henry was again showvboating and was attempting to raise his own "stature".

March 24, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  8. Thomas

I don't think this was meant for Ed Henry. I thought it was a brilliant answer! In the fast moving time of instant news and fast judgment, it is a pleasure to see someone think before he talks!

March 24, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  9. Concerned GA voter

That was not a "tough" answer at all....what are you talking about. He just stated that instead of a knee-jerk reaction response, he waited until he knew all the facts.....can always depend on CNN to distort the truth!!!

March 24, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  10. mario greg

the president was cool. Ed Henry was trying to make him look like a liar

March 24, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  11. David

This is a misquote. Obama said (paraphrasing) that he likes to KNOW what he's talking about before he speaks.

March 24, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. Natalie

I think Obama was very effective with Ed Henry. Ed was really trying to get a rise out of the President and, in turn, made himself look foolish. I am tired of members of the media trying to play one person against the other. The President sat him down quite nicely.

March 24, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  13. alvino

I think this would have been a good time to ask an intelligent question. I thought Obama answered the stupid question and went on to the next.

Bill Bennett still doesn't get it.

March 24, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. steven

when bush took a couple days to address katrina he was slaughtered for it just like any conservative would've been attacked if they would've made the same "Special Olympics" comments...and the media treats Him like some saint. way to go.

when conservatives take time to think about it, they're attacked as fumblers and unable to make tough decisions off the cuff. when obama takes a couple days it's like...."oh mr. president, thats a brilliant idea, brilliant!" nice.

March 24, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. what gives?

lol..good smack down mr president,that was sweeeeeeeet..lol

March 24, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. Tommy

Obama wanted a couple of days to think about the AIG problem, but would not take a couple of days to think about the stimulus package that started all this. Kind of ironic . Isn't it

March 24, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. Linda Scharp

Yes, I voted for President Obama. Ask Bill Bennett what he would do differently re: the deficit. I know he's supposed to give the conservative spin, but I'm so tired of listening to criticism when this President who is articulate, smart, in command of multiple tasks, and pushes himself so he can talk to "real" people has done more in 60 days than Bush did in 8 years. He was absolutely right that most Americans are sacrificing or have sacrificed. He was correct about the lack of funding for returning veterans. Where were the Republicans then? They know how to send troops in, but after they're through with them? Hah! I still think Haliburton execs should be prosecuted for their greed in carrying out the war.

March 24, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  18. alvino

Even Fox News' Garrett put some thought into the question he asked the president.

March 24, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  19. Susan's iPhone

What did he mean he wanted to know what he was talking about when he waited to speak? He still did not know what to say when he finally spoke. I can't say I'm proud of his first 60 days, let's hope the next 60 show us the leader we voted for.

March 24, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  20. Jerry

I think Obama's response to Ed Henry was quite appropriate and timely. Ed likes to draw attention to himself, and many times he (Ed Henry) speaks without thinking. CNN should rethink whether they want to keep Ed at the White House

March 24, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  21. J. Parham

We are dealing with too many problems for the press to keep dragging this story along. I wanted to hear about the budget and how it will affect us...not some AIG old news. They are giving the bonuses back and the administration is putting in new regulations about executive pay...ENOUGH ALREADY! I am worried about my own job!

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  22. c spurgeon

I thought he did a good job and I want this president to be given a chance to move forward. Between the media,the obstructionists in both the republican and democrat parties it appears they want our country to fail.

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  23. Shonna

Good answer and he should have added "now sit down". I think President Obama looked strong and gave good, well thought out answers. Maybe we're just not used to that after the last 8 years.

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  24. bob

Loved the Ed Henry smackdown.Ed's question gets a D for relevancy and an F for substance. C'mon Ed –you can do better. Listen to the other questions!

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. Michael H. Oil City, PA

Ed Henry is obviusly a GOP hack reporter. I'd bet my last buck after his gig with CNN, like Major Garrett, he'll be headed to that "fair and balanced" down under Fox News! I have noticed he has a twisted version or misinformed nature. That is NOT getting to the Truth like good reporters do.

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |