March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Marie

I hope the republicans was listening to that answer since they seem to be shooting off at the mouth so much with no solutions

March 24, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  2. DA

Way to go Mr. Prez!! I'm glad you gave Ed Henry the answer you did because I'm sick and tired of reporters who try to act like they are smarter than you are or worst yet, try to put words in your mouth. CNN has taken such a negative tone towards any proposal you make..CNN must be run be Republicans! I suppose that's why MSNBC has left them behind in ratings!

March 24, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  3. Carl Justus

How could anyone in their right mind think that was improper answer?
    What do you expect of Obama, he is not superhuman, he is a smart person that happens to be president and I would rather a person take a little to find out what they are talking about than to give answer they do not know what they are talking about.

IF Ed Henry is miffed about that answer, then Ed Henry should get into a job where he does not have to ask questions or deal with people for he is way to sensitive to be asking questions and reporting on them.

March 24, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  4. From ct

I agree with Obama, it was a stupid question for the media to make such a big deal out of. What is great about President Obama is that he take's the time to understand the situation and doesn't rush to conclusions, so to make such a big deal about him dealing for a COUPLE OF DAYS GODFORBID to get a handle on the situation is rediculous!

March 24, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. Eleanor

I thought President gave an *amazing* press conference
    Sorry I do NOT agree with some of the pundits .What a difference between this President and Bush
    He is so intelligent , so articulate
    Its really sad the media and a lot of other people seem to really just want him to fail , I thought he covered a great deal and I must say this president really conveys a great deal of self confidence!!!
    that in turn should make the American people feel confident IF they dont listen to the continuing negativity from the media heads and the republicans who CREATED this mess in the first place!!!!

March 24, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. Ken

Obama was elected President to create a balanced budget and ease the national debt, not give the OK to the most pork-filled budget in American history, and triple (or worse) the national debt within his first term.

First term... ONLY term. How is it that we went from bad (Bush) to worse!!! Change? Someone should have made sure the change he was talking about was for better, not worse!

No wonder they were so determined to impeach Clinton, he actually IMPROVED the economy AND balanced the budget... I'm surprised those crooks running Washington did only that to him.

March 24, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  7. Toby in Florida

"It took us a couple of days because I like to think about what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

if President Bush had given that answer, you folks would have pounced upon him the minute the show was over

I think Obama didn't give too many answers all the way around, long winded and short on substance.

March 24, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. Patriot

Ed Henry was rude and impertinent; and the President rightly pushed back
    A leader with so much on his plate should not be subjected to such childish attitude about the relatively 'small' by a media person with a tiny brain.

See, what the media could do is go after the greedy and thieving individuals who tank the US economy; and the President can focus on the Big Picture of American advancement.

However, the media reporters are too busy siding with unpatriotic business people.

March 24, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  9. Lynette

I don't think the President was ready to go home after Ed's question. I think the question was a stupid gottcha question that does not matter to people that are trying to feed their families and keep a roof over our their heads. This question keeps us talking about useless crap that has nothing to do with solving any problems.

March 24, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. James

Ed had it comming. Grow up Ed ... no responsible person will react immediately then and there.You need to find out exactly what happened and where you stand. I think what Ed liked was the good old days of Dubya attack first and defend later.

March 24, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  11. WE Shall Overcome

He answered the question...unlike Bush.
    Or better yet...Cheney..."so"

March 24, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  12. Brian

It was a stupid question and it got the attention it deserved. Obama didn't jump on the sensationalistic media bandwagon, and I respect him for that.

March 24, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  13. Rick

I don't know what press conference you were watching, but Obama's remarks about wanting to know what he's talking about before he speaks signified a key change in policy from the Bush administration when our former commander in chief would discuss issues he was clearly not informed about. I applaud Obama for wanting to understand the issues before he discusses them. An educated President gives me piece of mind that he has all the facts when making important decisions.

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  14. Wendy Ontario, Canada

Ed Henry asked his question in a very rude way, why should the President show him any respect?

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  15. truthsayer

These talking heads just have too much time on their hands.
    Ed Henry got a well deserved smackdown

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  16. yeah right

I think the president had a good night and I also know that conservatives will say anything to diminish the president.

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  17. Eliot

This was a stupid, loaded, attempted gotcha question, and Obama handled it well. Next time Ed Henry should try asking a real question that someone who is not a pundit would care about the answer to.

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  18. Lyndsi

Wonder how many days he took to think up that special olympics crack.

March 24, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  19. Steve

This president showed outage when the people was outraged. Otherwise it would have been business as usual. His many lies are starting to add up.

March 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  20. Mike from Ohio

Thank you Mr. President for finally putting one of CNN's hysterical so-called journalists in his place. These guys go way beyond reporting to actually inject their personal opinions in everything with the hope of creating public fevor over phony issues. Now we have to set Rick Sanchez and Don Lemon straight or send them back to J school!

March 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. Terry

This is news?

CNN correspondent Ed Henry, a member of the best political team on earth, a representative of America's premier news organization (CNN), and a carefully trained representative of CNN's premier journalism asks US government leader a tough, thoughtful, and no-holds-barred question. CNN's Wolf Blitzer will present fabulous analysis of the brilliance and cogence of the question asked by a CNN reporter. Ed Henry's biography can be seen tomorrow on CNN reports. The President's expression showed that he respected CNN far more than rival news networks.

March 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. marianne from phila

I'm watching more MSNBC. CNN is too conservative for me. I thought the president was believable and seemed sincere in his answer. AIG executives are crooks. The goal of the AIG bailout was not bonus payment. Your reporter is beating a dead horse!

March 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  23. TrueIndependent

Ed Henry was confrontational, and that was the second time. He is simply unable to conceal his right wing claws.
    You can ask a question without challenging the person. The reporter that asked the most thoughtful question tonight was calm and non-confrontational. We expect everyone to respect our president, whatever the president's party, republican or democrat. We are Americans.

March 24, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  24. rr

bill bennet, he did wonna go home , he said what we have learn about him, don't open your mouth if you dont have constructive thing to say

March 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  25. nancy in florida

I don't care if the President knew about the bonuses 2 days ago or 4 days ago. I am more interested in how he plans to address the issue.
    I think the President deserves more respect from the News Media than has been shown.
    With respect to his travel. I find it refreshing to see the President travel around the county and stay in touch with the people that elected him instead of staying holed up in the White House. Give the guy a break and stop critizing everything he does.

March 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |