March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Ellen

I want to know why there are not more Democrats out there stumping for the President's agenda... there certainly are enough Republicans trashing it. How quickly they forget – do any of those Democrats who aren't standing up in support of the President think they would be sitting in the cat bird seat right now if it weren't for Obama??? Do they think they will be able to hold onto the cat bird seat if Obama loses these first critical battles??? Now the pundits are saying he's overdoing the media thing – but who else is out there saying, go team!?!?

March 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  2. Tim

That is the best thing American People could have ever witnessed!!

March 24, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  3. pamewaller

Touché, Mr President or as the youngsters would say these days "Zing!"

March 24, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Patsy Madison, TN

Ed Henry was trying to act smart, and he got the right answer from President Obama. He is not like Bush where he talks he makes sense.

March 24, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  5. Rob Stumpf

Take more time before you speak, oh glorious leader. Did he say Republicans still act if they were in the good times of the early 90's? You remember the 90's...recession? Ring a bell?

Like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster, stories about Barry's super-intelligence abound. But they are all myths.

March 24, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  6. Vivian

Who cares about the president's expressed level of outrage. We now know that nothing could be done about the bonuses. Those idiots who you think expressed a "high level of outrage" proposed the unconstitutional idea of taxing the bonuses. The presidents job requires level headedness. Just because he is not ranting and raving does not mean that he is not upset about this. The last president who went off, got us in a war that we can not get out of. The man has been president 60 days with the weight of the world's poor economic conditions on his back, and your concern is mearly his expressed outrage over bonuses.

March 24, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  7. Perusing-through

President Obama: "It took us a couple of days because I like to think about what I'm talking about before I speak."

BRILLIANT!!!

March 24, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  8. cocopiaul

The Question was impertinent!

Go Obama!

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  9. Dave

Ed Henry at least tried to ask a tough question of Obama, but the rest of the questioning was pure softball. It was a bit like pro wrestling. All acting and no fighting. Can't these people ask a tough question and follow up on it, really pinning Obama down when he skirts the issue. They need some courtroom lawyer training in how to grill a person.

Or is it possible their employers will fire them if they ask a really useful question?

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  10. Greg

Obama said, "...because I like to KNOW what I'm talking about before I speak."

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  11. Bob W

Get over it CNN. I thought it sounded like a pretty good answer.
    And then the dig by Mr. Smugness himself? Jeez, sometimes you guys sound like Fox Not-News.

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  12. Eric

Ever the coward that only cares about his popularity, Obama had to wait several days to see what was the safest reaction.

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  13. tmctn

since when does obama think before he speaks, boy please!!! He waited because he was getting the spin just right thinking how can I fan this flame to maximize MY benefit. Please obama, get over yourself and undeserved fame and try to be a president we can respect. You are undermining the office of the President of the United States of America with your arrogance.

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  14. Ryan Irwin

Ed deserved it. The exchange really captured the tension between the 24/7 news world and actual governance.

You guys need to chill out. And smarten up.

March 24, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  15. Alex

I love our President.
    He is super smart, but most pleasantly, I love the illuminating way he shares the hard facts he is basing on to make these important decisions.

I am so confident President Obama is going to get the job done. Thank you America for voting change that gets results.

March 24, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  16. Rob from Pa

It seems to say that he new his Administration screwed up and was hoping it would just all blow over.

March 24, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. asl

It is very sad to see that a newspaper of this stature would even pose a question like this when the country is facing such grave issues like economy and war on terrorism. We the general public would want to hear and get answers to issues that we are facing everyday.

March 24, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. mal

Ed Henry deserved the reply he got from the president. He wasn't respectful in his tone or in the way he spit out the question. I thought the president did a masterful job of explaining and answering the questions thrown at him. Think back to the previous president's news conferences and the difference is astounding. CNN's group of nay sayers of the president's news conference should look themselves in the mirrow (particularly Mr. Blitzer ) and ask "What answers do I have to our nations many difficult problems?" From my viewpoint they don't have ANY answers just negativisms!!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  19. txgirl

I thought President Obama answered the question quite appropriately. It seemed to me that Ed Henry was looking to irritate The President and when he did get his answer Henry was shocked. President Obama is very intelligent and when pushed he will push back. I say good for him. Best answer of the night in my book. I do not know what Bill Bennett saw; I think The President, as usual, was cool, calm, and doing what he does best - giving us the truth.

March 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  20. Mike Syracuse, NY

Obama just couldn't think of a way to lie his way out of the fact that it was his administration that told the Dems in Congress to allow the bonuses in the stimulus bill. How can you be outraged by something you caused?

March 24, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. Mia and Mike

Ed Henry rightfully deserved that response, and I don't think that he looked like he was ready to go home- it looked like he officially put on his game face after that question and nailed all the other ones after it. Bravo President Obama, job well done and good response to Ed!

March 24, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  22. Karl

I'm sorry Mr. Bennett, President Obama was in his element and did not mind the questions. Simply, he felt that the question was answered. Now, I give much kudos to Ed Henry. It was a good question. It was answered. Is it possible the President wanted to close this issue and quickly? I believe so, and he did it with a smile. Can't be angry with that.

March 24, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  23. R. Easton

Ed Henry framed his question in a hostile accusatory way implying there was wrongdoing. He could have framed in a more thoughtful way. I think Obama was justified in replying the way he did. I also think Bill Bennet should be taken off the air as a commentator on CNN. He is becoming increasingly partisan in his comments. I heard him say a few days ago that "Next thing Obama would take credit for spring coming" in response to another commentator saying there were some signs of improvement in the economy. I found the comment nasty and inappropriate. When people have a public platform on TV they should be responsible and not inflammatory in their comments. Being subjected to nasty comments makes me turn off CNN and watch another station like PBS that is less biased. I want to hear thoughtful newscasts and comments not someone venting their ideology.

March 24, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  24. rush

its about time start calling this idiot president out. his policies are failing. wait 4 more years and you will see the deficits that we'll have! this is most incompetent president ever!!

March 24, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. Rick

"'After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home,' conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said."

Really??

I must have watched the wrong press conference, because I thought the Ed Henry ocnference had no effect on Obama.

But then again, this is the same Bill Bennett who thinks America is a "center-rght" nation, so his opinion on Obama might be a tad bit slanted.

March 24, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |