March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. Gary

Obama is a good guy and I think he wants to help the economy, education and healthcare....but we just can't keep borrowing huge amounts of money. Even if he plan works as well as he hopes, he would add more to our national debt in 4 years then Bush did in 8. We are making bad spending decisions. His plan is weak. Gietner is weak. The democratic leadership in congress is weak. The way that the administration is working, our economy may be in real trouble.

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Sharon, TX

So, CNN & Ed Henry did not like the answer the President provided with his answer, so you go along with the obviously partisan Bill Bennett and attack him PERSONALLY. Besides, what was up with his (Henry's) attitude? He acted like he was angry with the President in the way he asked his question. Do I detect a little frustration by the media that the President, voted in by a clear majority of the American people, is still able to relay his message to the American people and about what he is trying to accomplish for the American people despite your efforts to interfer with your constant and irrelevant spin and commentary? Hmmmmm ... I find it quite humorous and will encourage the Obama Administration to continue to speak directly to us ... the American people ... and not allow his message to be filtered through the trivial media filter. The media, who by the way in all formats (cable news, major networks and print), has consistently failed the American people.

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  3. ELI

That will teach Mr Ed Henry to ask pertinent questions next time!
    How I miss Jennings, Rather, et all!

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  4. Brandon

I was always taught to think before speaking, with such "sensitive" issues at hand, nobody wants a President or politician to jump the gun and have to retreat on his/her words later. No one knows the pressure of the Presidency, not even I, so I say Kudos to playing it like he has always shown....a deep thinker, a man of logical reasoning, and someone who plans out what he will say so that all points are observed and noted.

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  5. Craig B

I think it was a pretty good

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  6. Don Eiermann

The question from Ed Henry served no purpose other than to try and cast a cloud on the actions of the President. Like always, the President calmly and professionally put the jerk in his place..Go Pres!

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  7. Keith

The president's reply implied that Henry's question was impertinent because the way the question was delivered made it so. I thought the president's response was honest and candid.

March 24, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  8. ladyk

He did not look like he wanted to go home. He looked like he wanted to move on to the next "relevant" question.

March 24, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. Bob Lees

Ed Henry asks a stupid question and gets spanked. That's got to smart.

After 8 years of tossing softballs at Bush it must be easy to forget that this guy has brains.

I think it was Ed Henry that looked like he wanted to go home, not Obama. The laughter behind him was priceless.

March 24, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. Robe

The President did great he's the best we have had in along time he can only do so much with what he was left with if we are true American will get behind our President and help turn this Country around.

March 24, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. PHH

This was a refreshingly pointed answer to the question. In the world of 24/7 news, taking time to think through an issue is seen as avoiding it. Not so. Bill Bennet is simply trying to frame the press conference in a negative light. We are in unprecedented times. What I find troubling is the time the press and critics spend on distractions rather than the mess at hand. We are still more entertained with the politics than the substance, and it will be our undoing. Thankfully the administration seems focused on our long term health.

March 24, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. Tina B

I disagree, I think the President is cautious.

March 24, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  13. David

If Ed Henry and others at CNN would have asked Dick Cheney and Bush the same type of questions, we would not have been in this mess in the first place. Let him fix the problem! Give the President time, he has a mess in his hands. Ed Henry's question was inapropriate, just as the silence of John King's during the Interview of Dick Cheney.

March 24, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. Briana

You deserved that. If there was nothing he could legally do about the bonuses it doesn't really matter when he knew about them. I suspect he kept his mouth shut because he was waiting to find out if he could do anything about them first.

Quit trying to score points; it demeans your profession.

March 24, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  15. Survivor

Obama doesn't want to shoot himself in the foot! he says ready aim fire not fire ready aim! I rather like someone who can think some things through – not all questions or problems deserve a rapid response.

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  16. Just Shut Up!

For the first time, Obama was asked a real question by the media. Incredible.

By the way: WE DON'T WANT YOUR BLOATED BUDGET!!!

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. Don Eiermann

Oh, Bill, find something important to bring forward as an issue. The President putting a cocky reporter in his place is fun, but not newsworthy.......

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  18. Andres Guevara

The implication by Schneider (and the loaded and obviously biased quote by Bennett) is that Obama was impertinent and quick to dismiss Ed Henry's question. I understand that the CNN folks want to protect their own, even in cases when their own reporters ask stupid questions.

Obama has answered the question before and he sounded calm before, during, and after the question. Time for CNN and Schneider to troll for complaints somewhere else.

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  19. Simmy

I hope Bill Bennett meant that Ed Henry looked like he wanted to go home. Funny how each persons take their spin on what they think is important to them. I was pleased with the manner in which Mr. President responded to Henry. He (Henry) is constantly trying to make a name for himself at the president's expense. Next time, I hope he thinks before he speaks.

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  20. Larry Buchas

Ed Henry ought to listen to the previous questions given. Why he chose to essentially repeat the first question asked was a waste of time.

Note to Ed Henry:

Of the hundreds of issues and problems to be dealt with, you could have found one alternative. You made a fool of yourself. Don't take my word for it. Listen to some of the other news services. You should feel lucky to be asked but you blew it.

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  21. Meesh

The question was impertinent. The response was justified by the question.

March 24, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  22. gail

It was impertinent andPres. Obam was to the point when he served Ed Henry. Who needs to please, oh please, stop asking 500 hundred things when one would do in the one question he gets. He wasted his question and the President time and mine.

March 24, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  23. lede3957

From my view, Ed Henry thought he was going to have an "I gotcha" moment and was being obnoxious. The President appeared to be "sick of the s...t " and responded thusly putting Ed Henry in his place. I also disagree with Bill Bennett that the President looked as though he wanted to go home after the verbal encounter. After the President responded to Ed Henry, there was light laughter in the audience and the President went on about the business of the press conference. The message was clear – do not mess with me.
    Go OBAMA

March 24, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  24. Robert Carruth

I think Ed Henry was chasing an old controversy and Obama rightly didn't spend time giving the AIG bonuses any extra air.. The delay on pushing this forward may have some significance, but at this point, not much. Obama did very well tonight. Bill Bennett tried to make a case that Obama had done poorly. Not. Unfortunately, whenever I see Bill Bennett I'm reminded of his self-righteous tenure as the National Scold, then his outing as a compulsive gambler.

March 24, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. Jennifer Bailey

The President gave Schneider the answer he deserved...It was direct, most effectively affectively, and intelligently correct!!!

March 24, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |