March 25th, 2009

Thompson: I don't want Obama's policies to succeed

Fred Thompson, a former GOP White House hopeful, said Wednesday that he doesn't want some of the president's policies to succeed.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Count former GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson among the growing chorus of prominent Republicans who want President Obama's policies to fail.

Tuesday evening Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called pressure to support Obama's policies "political correctness run amok."

Related: Jindal defends those who want Obama to fail

Thompson told CNN's John Roberts Wednesday that he agreed with some of his fellow Republicans who have said publicly they do not want the president's policies to be successful.

Watch: Thompson on American Morning

"I want his policies that I believe take us in the wrong direction to fail," Thompson told Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

"If he takes us down the road of tripling our national debt in ten years and making us vulnerable to higher interest rates and higher inflation, and things of that nature, I want all those policies not to succeed," he said.

Thompson, who made the rising cost of entitlement spending a focus of his 2008 presidential run, said he'd be happy to help Obama overhaul those programs.

"If he wants to do that, I will join with him. I'll do everything I can to make him succeed with regard to that because that's the whole ball game in terms of our fiscal future in this country," said the former Tennessee senator.

Thompson criticized Obama's ambitious health care agenda, telling Roberts the president's plans would cost the government more than they would save.

1. Sue M

Another traitor and turn coat.........this President is in office for the next 4 years whether you like it or not and for you to say you want his policies to fail is too say you want the next 4 years to FAIL so that all the people that are out of jobs will still be out ot jobs, those who have lost their Health Insurance will have to do without , for all the people who have lost your homes, you can live in the streets for all the republicans care cause they want all of Obama's policies to FAIL, for the next 4 years they want the Banks to stop loaning you money, they don't care if you need a new car to get to work, or to buy a house to put a roof over your head, they don't care if you can't afford to sent your kids to college, just as long as President Obams's policies FAIL.......as long as the Republicans continue to call for the FAUILURE of Obama's policies they are going to FAIL, (what you reap you shall sow) This is not putting your country first or the people of this country first..........all you care about is your next elections, well we don't want and this country doesn't need men like you........

March 25, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. Get Well Soon GOP

If Obama suceeds the GOP will benefit once they get their act together

He only hopes that because he knows GWB Failed and he does not want to be upstaged by the brother. Look, if Obama is right Americans will do well. If he is wrong the GOP will get a compounded problem because of Bush and Obama. What they should want is for Obama to succeed and for their leadership to capitalize on that success. That is how Bill Clinton did it. HW Bush suceeded in the first Gulf war and Clinton had a clean slate to build the best economy ever on.

March 25, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Bill

I wan to know where these Republicans were when Bush tripled our national debt?
    I want to know where they were when the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act deregulated the financial industry which led to the financial disaster that we find ourselves in.
    The Republicans did not complain when Bush spent trillions of dollars to invade a country that did not have the means to harm us but God forbid a Democrat tries to fix a school or pave a road!

I cannot wait until 2010 so we can vote the obstructionists out of office altogether and get on with the job of restoring this country to its former greatness.

March 25, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Liz in Texas

Of course they want this President to fail and they want our country to fail so they can say "see I told you so." The Republican Party is not interested in solutions. They are only interested in regaining power.

March 25, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. WhoCares?

You know the conservatives are completely and utterly out of things to whine about when they all jump on the "Teleprompter" bashing.

Amercia is failing and all the right wants to focus on is that our President like to use a teleprompter for speeches.

OMG!!! The HORROR!!!

March 25, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Chris from texas

I cannot believe this! They want his policies to fail because of political gain. I am sick and tired of this. I bet that half the guys that say that they want him to fail think that most of his ideas are good, but because they are republicans they can show any kind of cooperation with the other party. The same goes for democrats also. when can we get a politian who is in it for public service. I think we need to get off the this idea that every new idea is branding america something other the democratic republic it is and look at the big picture. People that think we are turning socialist of communist need to look up what those forms of government actually are. do I agree 100% with Obama? No. But I feel that we are in a grave situation and failure is not an option. I don't want these policies to fail, and I don't that you should eithier because there is alot more at stake than mid-term elections and 2012. I want my daughters to enjoy the freedoms that I enjoy daily now when they become adults. I think policies need to work for the sake off our country.

March 25, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Matt from CT

How can you want a President's policy's to fail. I never supported Pres. George W, but I never wanted his policy's to fail. There is so much hate behind wanting someone to fail and also how can you hope for failure without providing any indication on how your policy is different and can succeed. There is just way too much hate...

March 25, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. Michael

The GOP rails against the Obama administrations push for reregulation as a decided push for socialism. Yeah, like capitalism is working so well these days! If the idiots from both the Republican and Democratic parties had left alone the regulations but into place by FDR in the 1930s, a lot of the mess of the past three decades would have been avoided. For example, deregulation worked so well for the airline industry in the 1980s and the auto industry in the 1990s. But we had to go off and follow the pied piper of Simi Valley, California into the deep end of the ocean with this deregulation nonsense - the same one who said that colleges and universities "should not subsidize intellectual curiosity." These people should let the intelligent and education people take the reins for while, perhaps we will see progress!

March 25, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  9. obama-mama

It's amazing that Thompson knows so much but isn't president. This is not but a GOP lynching of our new president. They will never join him in coming up with a plan to help America they are all thinking about the upcoming election. I hope and pray that Obama's policies work and the republicans will have to walk the plank come election time. They are a miserable bunch.

March 25, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  10. Peggy - TX

Fred Thompson comes accross like a used car sales men talking out of both sides of his mouth. If he wants Obama to fail just say it plainly, instead he plays with vaugely worded phases and then says that we can interprete his words how ever we like. When the journalist sought, Thompson says that it is is not adult like to nit-pick at words. he is just a wind bag.

March 25, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. John

George Bush stared his presidency with a federal budget surplus. True to his republican philosophy, he cut taxes. He forgot the other part. You know, the part about cutting spending. Republicans like Fred stood by and watched silently while federal spending syrocketed, as did our national debt as a result. Partisan politics at its worst Fred, and your comments continue that legacy. History will not look favorably on your party.

March 25, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. sgj

I guess Fred Thompson will probably be "plain tuckered out" after this interview and go back to sleep or acting.

Its disgusting that the the republicans are willing to sacrifice the American people for politcal ideology ...

March 25, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  13. Ken

Fred Who?? Oh yeah!! The brilliant man of tactics who ran such a successful campaign!! CLEARLY – his ideas and and opinions are are so valid and valuable – not.

March 25, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Americans WANT TRUTH

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things,

not because they are EASY but because they are HARD

(if these things were easy,, someone would have done them already)

Sound familiar?

RECYCLED IDEAS

But for our BENEFIT not to Bankrupt us and

I support cleaner energy sources
    Who is against cleaner air??? no one

WORDS DO NOT MAKE A GREAT PRESIDENT

JFK backed up those words
    Lincoln has substance

You still have not given me a plan a way that will not hurt us more to get to your great goals
    Our common goals of clean air to breath.. heath care that is fair and education for all

March 25, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. Aviate

Thompson is a lot more credible as a DA on Law & Order. As a political leader, not so much.

We had an election, you guys lost, Thompson. Remember that? (PS-I recall you ran for President–how did you do?)

March 25, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. renobill

That these Repukes want Obama's policies to fail doesn't bother me a bit. I wanted Bush's policies to fail for eight years. Of course, given Bush's intellect that was a slam dunk!

March 25, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  17. Shawn

Who?

Through their own incompetence, extremism and sore loserism, Republicans have painted themselves into a corner from which they can only cheer for Obama and America to fail. Their worst political nightmare is that this country recovers. Think about that. Pathetic.

They have no ideas, no vision, no values and no hope.

March 25, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. chris

well, the guy has only been in office for 60days not 2years. So keep hoping...You have a long way to go!

March 25, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. Nathan

Can someone correct this logic for me, or are some politicians this dense?

If Obama's policies succeed in the way he intends we will have cheaper health care, a war ending in success, a low unemployment and strong economy, If his policies fail we will have the opposite.

By saying they hope Obama's policies fail they are saying they hope that health care stays over price, more American troops die, and a further decline in the economy so they can be right.

I am not confident Obama's policies will work the way he intends and have the right as an American to question the effectiveness of his techiques, but hoping that things get worst so I can say, "I told you so," is childish, immoral, and un-American.

March 25, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Karin

If you want the President's policies to fail you are saying I want him to fail, don't give me a spin on owrds. Party of NO, your policies failed and we are now if a WORLD of hurt.
    GO Obama, I have confidence in you and your agenda. Keep explaining to the American people what your vision is because as long as we understand we will be with you.

March 25, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. WhoCares?

"Their worst political nightmare is that this country recovers. Think about that. Pathetic."

Honestly....this is about all that needs to be said. This is the sad truth of what the Republican Party has become....A Cheerleader for Amercia's Faliure.

March 25, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  22. Ghost

Question: What happens if all the doom and gloom they are predicting doesn't happen? What happens if Obama's "socialistic "plans work, the economy rebounds, unemployment drops and we become sound again?

Do you people want him to fail because his agenda is to make turn this into a Socialist country? Do you know that for a fact or because someone told you so?

March 25, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. Joe in Kansas City

The "cradle to grave" care comment above is certainly appropriate. I am a public educated accountant and I hope he fails. My children are degreed (one a teacher) and public educated and, thankfully, they feel the same way. Where is the personal responsibility? If parents teach their children the value of education and work with them from the early ages forward, then they will be successful. Healthcare is a personal responsibility. Of course, there is very little of that nowadays thanks to the "dumbocrats" philosophy.

March 25, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  24. Kim

It's like beating a dead horse. How many times does the prez have to explain how this works? We are spending but we are also going to grow. It takes money to make money. Surely the old fool has heard that said before.

March 25, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  25. Obamalism

America is made up of more than just the Presdient...they've failed before and we've lived on.

I Hope to God that America doesn't fail. I also know that Obama's current policies and budgets won't allow America to succeed. I don't need to wait and see and give him a chance... you don't jump off a cliff to see how things go...

Obama succeeding with his policies does not mean America succeeds. Carter succeeded in getting his policies through...America did not prosper.

Folks, this spending is not a "maybe it will work, maybe it won't " – it's been tried time and time again and always ends with total failure.

March 25, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |