March 25th, 2009

Thompson: I don't want Obama's policies to succeed

Fred Thompson, a former GOP White House hopeful, said Wednesday that he doesn't want some of the president's policies to succeed.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Count former GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson among the growing chorus of prominent Republicans who want President Obama's policies to fail.

Tuesday evening Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called pressure to support Obama's policies "political correctness run amok."

Related: Jindal defends those who want Obama to fail

Thompson told CNN's John Roberts Wednesday that he agreed with some of his fellow Republicans who have said publicly they do not want the president's policies to be successful.

Watch: Thompson on American Morning

"I want his policies that I believe take us in the wrong direction to fail," Thompson told Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

"If he takes us down the road of tripling our national debt in ten years and making us vulnerable to higher interest rates and higher inflation, and things of that nature, I want all those policies not to succeed," he said.

Thompson, who made the rising cost of entitlement spending a focus of his 2008 presidential run, said he'd be happy to help Obama overhaul those programs.

"If he wants to do that, I will join with him. I'll do everything I can to make him succeed with regard to that because that's the whole ball game in terms of our fiscal future in this country," said the former Tennessee senator.

Thompson criticized Obama's ambitious health care agenda, telling Roberts the president's plans would cost the government more than they would save.

1. Get Well Soon GOP

How can you want your president to fail? If you want his policy to fail you want him to fail. Is that American? GOP, stop fighting the process. You lost. Be loyal, come up with a plan, and beat us next time because you have better ideas, not because we stink.

March 25, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Fair is Fair

Well, given the audience I see here, I'm sure I'll catch heat for this.

I wonder what would have happened in WWII Germany if more people wanted Hitler's POLICIES to fail, instead of blindly following.

I wonder what would have happened if more people wanted Lenin's POLICIES to fail, instead of blindly following.

In NO WAY am I comparing the president to Hitler or Lenin. What I am saying, though, is that his POLICIES have, at best, a 50-50 shot. In my opinion, the odds are worse.

The fact is that no one knows. But blindly following has a dangerous precedent.

March 25, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. jj

Is this the new dawn of Republican party? Is this their message to American people when they are hurting? Well, I say you have a long way to go!

March 25, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. Michael,FL

Surprised by the Republican reprisal against Obama. Republicans want to prove they were right for the last 8 years.

People wake up. We need new direction.

March 25, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  5. Patriot Guy

I don't want his policies to succeed either……just like all other patriotic, freedom-loving Americans who love their country.

March 25, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Michael - USAF Veteran

As Commander in Chief I support President Obama but I do not support and hope a lot of his economic and socialization policies fail. I've been stationed around the world and people who live in Socialist countries, I do not want to happen here.

March 25, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. Willa

The definition of policy success or failure depends on who you talk to, these days and what side of the political spectrum they're on.
    Many Republicans would like Obama's policies to fail for two reasons.....they don't benefit many Republicans and if the polices fail, it would be a bad mark on the Obama administration (good for the GOP agenda).
    It appears that some Republicans would like nothing better than to bring back the last eight years.....what they might even refer to as the "good 'ol days". Republicans want to be able to feather their own nests, even if its bad for the country and so long as they get to win an election.

March 25, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  8. Paul from Phoenix

I love the hypocrisy going on. I voted for Obama, but this is an absurd attack by the Dems, and here is why.

For 8 years, the Bush administration took the "If you aren't with us, you are against us" approach. This is a bad approach to take, and Dems called them on it, with the most famous being Hillary's stump speach saying that it is our duty to question the government.

Many dems wanted Bush to fail, both policy wise and personally.

Now, with the script flipped, Dems are acting butt-hurt, and questioning the patriotism of Republicans.

The most pathetic part is that the Dems hold such large majorities, they shouldn't even have to worry about the opposition. Ok, so the Senate can still filibuster, but the longest a flilbuster has gone was 24 hours.

Yup...1 day. That is it. Filibusters don't last. Dems are showing me that they are truly incompetent, and making me seriously question my vote.

March 25, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Matthew, Houston, TX

I heard the criticism from Frddie but still have yet to here a plan.

GOP – stop your whining, complaining and naysaying and give us a plan. Just remember that the same crap you guys have been pushing for 20 of the last 28 years is what got us where we are so don't even think that 'tax cuts for the wealthy' or 'trickle down, supply side economics' will be an acceptable plan.

March 25, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. Guy Next Door

Look all you Dems, we Republicans don't want our country to fail, but what we want is BHO Socialist Agenda to fail. Far too long our country has traveled down this socialist path, like Europe, and look at the mess they are in. Look how our educational system has failed. It has dumbed down our children that they grow up to be less informed and are moved by their "feelings", and now you all want to stand in line for your Government handout, pay your mortgage, pay your hospital bills, and like. You take no responsibility for yourselves and blame everyone else for your life's decisions. Grow Up. Yes BHO policies should fail!

March 25, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  11. Cromwell

After the controvery created by Rush Limbaugh's statement that he wanted President Obama to fail, the Republicans revised that and said that they didn't want President Obama to fail, but they wanted his policies to fail.
    Isn't that the same thing?

Fred Thomson said that he wants President Obama's policies to fail.
    If President Obama'a policies fail, then America fails.
    The Republicans are hoping that the country sinks deeper into a depression and millions of Americans lose their jobs so they can blame it on President Obama and the Democrats.
    The Republicans are putting selfish partisan politics above Patriotism.

March 25, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  12. Matthew, Detroit

Ghost.

It is a fact that Barack is a socialist.
    There are many interviews with him and his belief of changing the constituiton. I have heard some of the interviews post harvard days.

He believes in redistribution of wealth on a large scale (on tape)
    He believes in changing the constitution so that it changes your rights of people to the rights of the country. The rights of goverment to make
    change for what it feels will benefit its people.

He believes in nationalizing companies and distributing that money via the goverment (just like Putin and Chavez).

Yes Barack talks out of both sides of his mouth but at the end of the day the man has a very strong socialistic agenda. This is COMPLETELY against what the founding fathers stood for and what the United States of America stands for. DONT TREAD ON ME.

March 25, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. Steph

So, he wants policies that improve the education of all American children to fail or policies that improve health care and reduce health care costs to fail. Maybe he wants the policies that provide support for our returning service men and women to fail.

We should try the Republican way of running this country...wait, we did. Look where that got us...run right in to the ground!

March 25, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  14. Will-South Dakota

Leave it to GOP HAS BEENS to jump on any band wagon. Typical GOP leadership here folks, DENY, DELAY and DO NOTHING but complain cry-baby around.

March 25, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  15. richie

Fred, well you are one of 300million people in America. I am so sorry to hear your wishes.

the rest 299million have no platform to say they want our President and our country to succeed. Too bad, looser!

March 25, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  16. Barbara

Republicans want his policies to fail because their own policies couldn't succeed in the last eight years. That is why we are in the shape were in. Gee They can cast the stone, but they can't come up with anything better. They all want to go back to bushes failed policies. They really need to get their head out of their behinds and start helping the american people. OR the next four years just may be all Dem in house and congress.

March 25, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. soren

I wish old Thompson would stick to being a second rate b-actor and
    stop trying to talk about subjects he knows little to nothing about.
    He is a cozy and lazy little, old man. And that is perfectly O.K.

March 25, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  18. Kroelkey

I don't understand wanting the policy's to fail even if you don't agree with them. Is that the same as saying "I don't agree with that, so I would rather it just go wrong". If it doesn't fail will they be disappointed? Do they also wish the country's economical well being to fail because that is a possibility if these plans don't work? Is it because it is different than what has been done in the past? Because we have proof that didn't work. So you want it to fail because you didn't think of it, or its not the way you would handle it? To me that is a scary opinion, its seems almost childish in nature and these are the people that are supposedly helping to run our country. How could anyone that it is supposed to being serving our country WANT something to fail. Just so they can say we were right. I mean I didn't agree with the war in Iraq but I by no means wanted us to fail, because those are our troops going over there. I don't know there mind set is truley frightning.

March 25, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  19. Joan B

Ditto ! Obama's policies are an attempt for an overall takeover of the American Society. Giethner wants more power they say today to stick his nose in American Companies – it's obvious they are after a Power Grab and Americans better get their dander up as we will be in a Soviet style Country. If you think the effort is not to get their nose in all Americans decisions – you are dreaming. This is trouble and I've seen that trouble in Obama for two years now.
    Joan B
    Minnesota

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  20. jbm

This is more short term thinking of tired politicians who, like our CEOs, cannot see beyond the next fiscal quarter. This inability of vision and lack of investment in what has made this country great, education, science, technology, is part of the behavior that has resulted in the current mess. Please retire or go back to TV Mr. Thompson.

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  21. Jake

Go figure, republicans are always looking out for themselves instead of others. Some of us can not afford to stay afloat if Obama's policies fail. Of course we want him to succeed!

On the flip side, a large percentage of republicans have the funds to 'weather the storm' if his policies do fail.... GO FIGURE.

Political gains do not equal humanity gains.

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  22. yonimal

i don't get this- wanting obama's policies to fail . if it is a bad idea, it will fail on its own. why don't they offer some alternatives instead of just saying that they want the president to fail.

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  23. Expat American

For many in the GOP...an economic recovery takes backseat to their true motivations; that is for President Obama to 'fail'. They aren't concerned for Americans; a la Dick Cheney "well, they volunteered...."

I'm glad Sam Waterston is the D.A. now.

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  24. Barbara Ward

By saying you want President Obama to fail that means you want our country to fail. Remember he was voted in by The People-and how refreshing it is to have our President visible-communicating-and listening to the People!

March 25, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  25. Anthony

The real question is that is it ever acceptable to want this country to fail no matter if the plan is something you like or not. Its kind of like republicans are so afraid that they'll end up being irrelevant to the future progress of America so their "hoping" with their fingers cross that Dems fail so that they can say they have a better idea. Frankly it annoys me when anyone criticizes so harshly without an alternative and all I keep hearing is we want Obama to fail.

Wake up, Obama is the president of this country for now...and loyal opposition means to agree to disagree...because truth is obama's administration will do what they want to wether Repubs are on board or not, and I guess right now both sides are showing their best poker face and we'll find out soon enough which side is bluffing.

March 25, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |