March 25th, 2009

Thompson: I don't want Obama's policies to succeed

Fred Thompson, a former GOP White House hopeful, said Wednesday that he doesn't want some of the president's policies to succeed.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Count former GOP presidential candidate Fred Thompson among the growing chorus of prominent Republicans who want President Obama's policies to fail.

Tuesday evening Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called pressure to support Obama's policies "political correctness run amok."

Related: Jindal defends those who want Obama to fail

Thompson told CNN's John Roberts Wednesday that he agreed with some of his fellow Republicans who have said publicly they do not want the president's policies to be successful.

Watch: Thompson on American Morning

"I want his policies that I believe take us in the wrong direction to fail," Thompson told Roberts on CNN's American Morning.

"If he takes us down the road of tripling our national debt in ten years and making us vulnerable to higher interest rates and higher inflation, and things of that nature, I want all those policies not to succeed," he said.

Thompson, who made the rising cost of entitlement spending a focus of his 2008 presidential run, said he'd be happy to help Obama overhaul those programs.

"If he wants to do that, I will join with him. I'll do everything I can to make him succeed with regard to that because that's the whole ball game in terms of our fiscal future in this country," said the former Tennessee senator.

Thompson criticized Obama's ambitious health care agenda, telling Roberts the president's plans would cost the government more than they would save.

1. gregory

This is scary stuff people.

If he want him to fail, tell me what we should do. Tell me your Ideas....

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. Kim

It all boils down to everyone just 'wanting to be right..." instead of finding solutions to the problems in a constructive manner.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Dan

These people are pathetic. Obama is cooking. I like him more every day. I don't expect him to be perfect, but he's already way better than Bush the Idiot ever was.

Keep carping, Repubs. The hole you're digging only gets deeper.

If the Repubs had any sense at all they'd be looking at someone like Condi Rice to represent the future of the party rather than these sniveling old white guys and Sarah "Moose Burger" Palin.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. bob

No wonder the GOP wants Obama to fail. If he succeeds you won't see another Republican as President in the next 50 years. Who cares what Thomson has to say anyway.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. Matthew, Detroit

Why are Democrat Senators and Congressman coming out against

the Presidents budget. YES folks Democrats as well.

Are they obstructionist or do they have their own belief. I may not agree with it but they have a right to their belief and I have the right to tell them they are wrong.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. Steve

Last week the Republicans finally admitted they have no alternative plan to what Obama is trying to do. There is only one thing worse than trying something and failing at it. That is, doing nothing at all. The Republicans (of which I am a former member) have had 8 years to create the perfect financial model for this country. They've failed miserably. And now all they can do is whine about Obama's policies, which are geared to fix the mess the Republicans created.

The time is ripe for a new, third political party in this country. The Democrats need to be challenged by people who are not of the same mind, but who are critical thinkers and who have actual plans of their own. The Republicans have lost that ability and are, frankly, in full chaos. A third party of conservative moderates, somewhere politically between Obama and Steele's posse would quickly grow to power as Americans who like neither end of the political spectrum we are seeing now flocked to it.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. WhoCares?

"To say the Republican party is the party of "no" is somewhat hypocritical, given that the dems are the ones who are telling the repubs "no"

No..The President has said he just doesn't want to be given ideas (tax-cuts) that have been proven not to work.

And since that is all the Republicans have to offer (Tax cuts for the top 1%).....he has said "No" to that idea.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. Carolyn Jones

Thompson, Jindal, Limbaugh, McCain – I am so grateful they are Not Leading Us. These are the folks, along with all who agree with them should be put in Gitmo and tried along with the rest of the terrorist – If the President Fails, we fail – if we do not support him we all go under their comments are ridiculos they have Zero Ideas they are worthless

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Watchful Cowboy

We are where we are because Americans – not Republicans or Democrats – made some pretty bad decisions. I want the men and women who are sent to Washington to do the right thing – whether Republican or Democrat – get out of in front of the camera and go to work! Stop arguing who is responsible or not and say – – WE ARE RESONSIBLE – and go to work! Keep playing the blame game and I hope as Americans we get smart and do a whole sale change! Personally I think Obama is all ready campaigning for the 2012 election and he is only a few days into this term. And I know those up for relection in 2010 are campaigning – guess what if you go to work and show us what you got – reelection should be a walk in the park.

March 25, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. Ghost

Well, being objective does not mean blindly following anyone. There's nothing wrong with saying I think his policies will fail. Hoping they fail is another.

March 25, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  11. Ch in Maine

Of course you don't. Because when they do the GOP will look even worse. It is one thing to have youyr policies fail, BUSH, but it will isolate you from the voters even further when Obama's policies succeed. Don't look at Bush as a failure though: He always said government was the problem and so he made it the problem. Let's hope Obama is as successful in showing that the government can help.

March 25, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. Frank

Of course I want Obama to fail.

How else will I be able to achieve my lifelong dream of living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland strewn with the wreckage of our old society?

March 25, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. STEVE/HOUSTON,TX

This is really getting ridiculous! I am really getting tired of Republicans wanting President Obama to fail. People need to stop playing politics with Americans lives! If the president fails, we ALL fail! If you can't be a part of the solution then SHUT UP! I support President Obama to the fullest!

March 25, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  14. Vicki

What is going wrong with our country, republicans in particular? By saying they want Obama's policies to fail means we as Americans fail!! So while all of you are "playing politics" Americans are suffering! I wouldn't vote republican, simply because their policies for 8 years did not work and all they are looking out for is THEMSELVES!!

March 25, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  15. Deb

A healthy debate is admirable but, if you want our President's policies to fail because they are not of your belief then shouldn't you and the other republican whiners have an alternate plan available? Is the gimmick just to say NO and disagree with the President at all times? It seems odd that in 60+ short days there is such impatience from the Republicans yet they were willing to sit out 8 years of incompetence. As my daughter might say, "What is up with that?"

March 25, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  16. Laverne

This is not about what is good or bad for America, this is about wanting President Obama to fail, because he is President. This country is so full of hatred and dishonor that it makes me sick to my stomach. As the republicans cries grow louder and their call for POTUS head on a platter, the ones who campaigned, voted and supports the president must stick together to change this country for the better. I would not worry about too much though, I believe with all my heart that our president does have a righteous wing at his back!

March 25, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  17. JIm

The country needs to reorg. All the producers need to declare their freedom from government and all the people who don't produce can form their own goverment and country with their own welfare program to support themselves.

This will happen once whe have more people sucking of the government teet then producers actually helping the country succeed.

March 25, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  18. Louis Coleman

Where were all these critics( who wants Pres. Obama to fail) during the past 8 years when the country was going to hell in a hand basket? It's easier to stand back now and blame a Pres. who has been in office 60 days, than it is to try to come together as a nation and do what's right for all. Those wishing failure, is doing so for the entire nation. Obama did well before becoming Pres. and I'm sure he will do well after leaving. Let's all pray the same can be said of our nation.

March 25, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. Maggie from Virginia

If the President's economic policies fail, all the money pumped into the system will be wasted. If the GOP are the fiscal conservatives they claim to be, wouldn't they be trying to make sure the President's economic policies succeed? Who in their right mind want to see billions wasted just to prove a point?

March 25, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. KR

Like I have said before you are not worried about the debt in 10 years wgat you are sore at is the loss of the WH. The repubs are doing everything in their power to make him fail and I hope it backfires in your faces. Republicans are for the rich and always have been they do not care about anything else and it scares them that they do not have control.

March 25, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. Carolyn Jones

These comments and all those Jindal and the rest are the Very reasons we the people who I might had we support these jerks – we need to write to our senators and house representatives; through emails or letters to voice our support for the President – The President needs the support from the People of America – email your support @ http://www.senate.gov and http://www.house.gov – locate your senator and congress person and voice your support

March 25, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. PAM

We are definitely on the road to ruin. With so many Democrats and Republicans opposing Obama's out of control spending plan, it's beyond my comprehension how Obama can drive our country into the ground. It is inevitable that Americans will suffer much worse hardship in this new socialistic order. Cash will become a thing of the past, and we won't be able to buy or sell without "the mark."

March 25, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. .ot boston

How patriotic to wish for the failure of the president's policies. It is sad and heartbreaknig that actually politicians like these do exist. It is high time that the reps. put the need of the American people first. The funny thing is that all these unamerican/unpatriotic groups haven't come up with a plan of their own. We the people are fed up with who is right and who is wrong this is not a beauty contest. We need result s to our issues whether it comes from rep. dem. or ind. even from the Green party for that matter.
    All the best to my fellow americans and keep you chins up.

March 25, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Anthony in Morgantown

I hope the Republicans are learning from this...they need a more progressive party. Hopefully the end result is a party that is more libertarian at its core than anything. That is something that would thoroughly resonate with the American public.

March 25, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  25. Linell, Winter Park, FL

Pardon me, Mr. Thompson but what policies do you want to "succeed?" I've heard nothing but empty criticism from you and your ilk. Heaven forbid that we have POTUS who finally wants to tackle our problems head on! Keep on dragging your heels clinging to your old ideology and what you think won't have any relevance. You'll be standing in a cloud of dust wondering what happened.

March 25, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |