March 26th, 2009

Gibbs takes aim at GOP budget

Gibbs took a swipe at the GOP's budget proposal Thursday.
Gibbs took a swipe at the GOP's budget proposal Thursday.

(CNN) - White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs dismissed House Republican's newly unveiled budget proposal Thursday, saying the 19-page document lacks any specifics.

"It took me several minutes to read it," a sarcastic Gibbs said at the White House Daily Briefing. "I will note that there is one more picture of a windmill than there is of a chart of numbers. Just for your knowledge there is exactly one picture of a windmill."

"It's interesting to have a budget that doesn't contain any numbers," Gibbs added. "The party of no has become the party of no new ideas."

The comments came hours after House Republican leaders unveiled the document and pledged to introduce more specifics next week.

"We're going to show a leaner budget, a budget with lower taxes, lower spending and lower borrowing," said Republican Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

House Majority Leader John Boehner called Obama's record $3.6 trillion budget "completely irresponsible" and pledged the GOP plan "curbs spending, creates jobs and cuts taxes, while reducing the deficit."

Boehner would not say where the spending cuts might come from. "We'll wait and see next week," he said.

Filed under: Robert Gibbs
  1. Dan, TX

Hey I just read the Republican plan for the budget. It appears to share Obama's goal of universal health care and energy independence. It said we should stop bailout money for banks and AIG no matter what. It said nothing about education.

It said that there should be a flat tax of 10% on incomes below $100,000 and $25% on people making over $100,000 with generous deductions.

There were no numbers given to the cost of the proposal. But the tax cuts alone have to amount to $100s of billions in new debt each year.

Let's get some numbers on that puppy. I want to know how the republican plan to allow everyone to have health insurance will work.

March 26, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Brian Crooks

"We'll wait and see next week?" Haven't they had almost a month since President Obama released his budget to come up with their counter? This is pathetic, and Gibbs is absolutely right to ridicule them. How can you even have a budget for a family vacation and include no numbers? I guess they got used to a president who liked picture books more than all those boring words. Oh brother.

March 26, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. LIZ

Gibbs is always sarcastic if you don't agree 100% with him or the President. I think he definitely needs to read another budget proposal with an open mind–we're in debt head over heels and are leaving a debt to our children and grandchildren–surely, there's an alternative to spending, spending, and more spending

March 26, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  4. Rob in Detroit Mi.

What budget ? it was smoke and mirrors again,the party of no is the party of no ideas.

March 26, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  5. Sniffit

I'm leaving this one alone...it's just too easy. At some pont, you start feeling bad for those poor fishies in that barrel.

March 26, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. Peter (CA)

Though the Republicans continue to show themselves devoid of any ideas, it would serve us all better, Mr. Gibbs, if you would cut down on the sarcasm. It looks arrogant and has no place in this country at this time.
    The administration has political capital and it shoud spend it wisely.

March 26, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  7. yeah right

Oh my its that budget a joke haha no numbers,more taxees cut for the wealthy ,no new investment s for the future ,seriously as an independent are they drunk or stuck on stupid. Obama's budget is not perfect that why I expect the blue dog to trim it a little bit but come on GOP this ridiculous to the max.Now I have no choice but to vote democratic. Pathetic!!!

March 26, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Colin

He's exactly right that the Repubs have run out of ideas, which is scary because the proposed Obama budget is a WMD.

March 26, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. B

Gibbs and Obama love to be smart butts. If they looked as good as they think they do I might take them more seriously.

March 26, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. zach

Haha I love Robert Gibbs!

March 26, 2009 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. mtv

LOL GOP put together a Plan with no Numbers..........Taking Que from John McCain..........LOL way to go GOP!!!!!!!! Got 0 Plans!!!!!!!!!

March 26, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. Ken

Plan away Boehner. Luckily your plans are now irrelevant, like your failed party.

March 26, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  13. Objective Thinking

While I agree with the content of Gibb's words, I can't help but feel like he is the most unprofessional White House Press Secretary we've had in a LONG time.

March 26, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  14. The Broker.

Can you Sing! Rob Gibbs. I don`t believe I know you.

March 26, 2009 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  15. tedious898

Have any of you seen this budget at GOP.gov? I thought I would bust a gut laughing at this waste of toilet paper.

I have to say this....Americans are NOT ideologs (at least not the one's with rational / critical thought). But rather most Americans are pragmatists. In other words, if something works – it works. If something doesn't work – try something different. A "DUH" moment if you will. So please GOP, sit down for now and listen. Stop your incessant complaining. You had 6 years in full control and 8 years with the WH and YOU FAILED. Let the adults handle it from here.

March 26, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  16. dan a

Go get them Gibbs-–These Republicans and their warped thinking and negative attitudes are dangerous for this country. This Administration should fight back against these morons !!

March 26, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  17. Shooky

Oh no, not Robert Gibbs! He's only shown to be a total flop of a press secretary. What poignant insight.

March 26, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  18. NYC REPUB

Whoa Mr. Gibbs bad form...... I like it though..... to present a mini budget w/ no detail is ridiculous..... however I would consider it and use any good ideas....

March 26, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. steve

Gibbs must go, he's such a smarmy jerk and joke of a press secretary, he does nothing but discredit Obama "bi-partisan" message.

March 26, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Reatte Beaumont, Texas

I will be so glad when these dummy's leave office he is about a funny as his boss they seem to think that all americans think like them each and everyone on the hill needs to be fired and start all over again including the so called white house all obama can do is read the statments that is prepared for him and when he tries to answer a question he stumbles and babbles it is so funny to watch these dummy's that are so called smart

here's your change and I don't want it so all the obama supporters sure can have

GOD BLESS AMERICA BECAUSE SHE SURE DOES NEED IT

March 26, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. ~~ July ~~

John Boehner face turn red ... OR it might have but since we can't tell because of that DEEP tan stray ...

Eric Can't do said ' Oops we did it again ' ..

GOPs .... are sooooooooooooo funny

March 26, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. To RUSH and JINDAL: I do not want the levees in Louisiana or Florida to fail, just the policies of the Corp. of Engineers building them!!!

I am liking Robbie more every day!

"Budget (from French bougette, purse) generally refers to a list of all planned expenses and revenues. It is a plan for saving and spending. [1]A budget is an important concept in microeconomics, which uses a budget line to illustrate the trade-offs between two or more goods. In other terms, a budget is an organizational plan stated in monetary terms."

Ok, you moronic repubs, here is my RNC donation card stating I am going to make an mega donation of ____ for 2012!

Try to manage the campaign wisely, on all of the donations!

March 26, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. Kaiwa747

Robert Gibbs: You go for it!!! LoL...I like this guy he is straight forward.

March 26, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. Ancient Texan

Gibbs is a total hoot. Can't complete a sentence, and makes little sense when he does. Reminds me of "Baghdad Bob" of Iraqi TV fame when the Iraqi war was getting underway.

March 26, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. j

So the republicans have yet agains offered no details, plan, or idea. From what little they said it's all tax cuts for the top 1 percent (35% to 25%) of the wealthy in this country. They want to give Paris Hilton even more tax cuts after all the tax cuts that she got under Bush. At least Obama's budget has targeted tax cuts for small businesses.

March 26, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |