March 26th, 2009

Obama brushes off 'petty and trivial' cable chatter

Obama spoke at two Democratic fundraisers in Washington on Thursday night.

Obama spoke at two Democratic fundraisers in Washington on Thursday night.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama mused Thursday night about the "petty and trivial" news cycle in Washington, calling the media chatter a distraction from the real problems facing the country.

"I know that in Washington sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day cable chatter, and be distracted by the petty and the trivial, and everybody is keeping score - are they up, are they down?" he said at the second of two DNC fundraisers last night in Washington. "You know, one day I'm a genius; one day I'm a bum. Every day there's a new winner, a new loser."

"So what we understand is there are going to be days where things don't go exactly the way we planned, and days where things go smoothly," he said. "There are going to be days where the market goes up, and days where the market goes down. But that's not how we measure success. We measure economic recovery in a different way. And we're seeing progress all across America - because we measure recovery by how many Americans can bring home a paycheck that helps them make ends meet."

He offered similar remarks at the earlier fundraiser, saying "there will be days where we may be declared winners, and there will be days where the umpires say, oh, they lost that one."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. M

I support you Mr. President, and like yourself, I am trying to stay positive.

You are a good man!

March 26, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  2. Sammy

I love his attitude. I wish some of his calm demeanor would rub off on the nation – particularly to the leaders of the right like limbaugh et al. Who makes his living working people up til they're frothing with anger and armed with bad info – this accomplishes nothing productive.

March 26, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. The Last Patriot

Obama wants to introduce almost $10 trillion in additional deficit spending. This is no short term media phenomenon, this is something that will bankrupt us and lower standard of livings for generations.

With all due respect, I think it is fair for the media to look at this with a critical eye.

March 26, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. Joanna

He rocks. I am so happy with the job he is doing. Finally some logic and reason in the white house!!!!

March 26, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Jay

President Obama's ability to respond intelligently and formulate solutions to this nation's serious challenges is something that his detractors cannot do.

March 26, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  6. MICK in MESA

Americans are getting the caliber of "news" dished out to them that they ask for and I'm glad to see that Obama knows it.

Thanks for the clarity in helping all of us understand our short comings when it comes to the "info-tainment" that we have come to accept as news Mr. President

March 26, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  7. Larry from Apex, NC

I like this guy more and more every day. He is honest and refreshing with no b.s. You have our support Mr. President!

March 26, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. An American

4 Years of your policies will be quite enough thank you!!

March 26, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |