March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

"Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. alex arichards

She is whinning and about things that were her fault. She refused to talk to the media. What happens when you do that? THey can't get answers and they have to judge her solely on her actions which spoke very clearly.

March 25, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  2. Cheryl

Go Palin! The people want to hear how it really is and that is what I liked instantly about you. You do not have a problem calling a duck a duck and saying what you stand by and actually doing in your daily life what you stand for. A definite breath of fresh air! Everything has become so 'political' correct, the media is biased, and either tells half truths or no truths at all. And they wonder why people don't read newspapers anymore....duh, there is nothing in them but garbage.

I hope you run for President, the United States needs you to guide us back to what our founding fathers meant for us to be. Free to pursue happiness, less intrusion by government and free enterprise. The government was not designed to take care of everyone and I resent their intrusion in my life. I resent that our politicians do not listen to the people but do what is in their best interest, special interest groups and unions. Go Palin!

March 25, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  3. Shannon Dunn

She seriously needs to just not talk. Her mouth was the undoing of the McCain campaign. Not that I am complaining....lol.... I am sooooo glad they lost. I shiver when I think of her in charge of our country. So, keep it up Palin, so we don't have to worry about hearing you in 2012.

March 25, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  4. fed up!

Ms. Palin: Put a lid on it! Of course you're free to say whatever you want, but the people have spoken!! If anyone major-league in the Democratic party would say what she has been saying (incessantly!) about the media these past months, the Republicans would be screaming their heads off that leading Dems must believe that the American people are stupid, and have to be told what to think. From her, its like the proverbial silk from a spool. The McCain/Palin ticket lost because the Repubs had no viable plans other than to keep flinging mud and resorting to the same tired old scare tactics, and the public is too smart to keep buying it!

March 25, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. Peter Johnson

As disappointing as Obama's presidency has been so far, occasionally it's nice to be reminded that things could have been much worse.

March 25, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  6. BG

"....Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

What does that even mean? My God, I do not miss Palin at all. I have all the respect in the world for John McCain, but thank god he lost. I'm sure he regrets introducing Palin to national politics.

March 25, 2009 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. george becker

This woman cannot keep a trained thought and her grammar is about at 4th garde level. I cannot imagine what good a self serving politician could ever offer this country. Her reliance on trite 3rd partry speak makes me feel nothing she says is genuine. Had she and McCain been elected, we would be screwing with the banks and budget lines to a degree that Madoff would find sophomoric.

March 25, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  8. Tim Regler

Didn't the GOP used to pride themselves on being "The party of personal responsibility"? What happened to that?

March 25, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. eric

Of course news media has slant: Fox and MSNBC both take sides. CNN is not quite objective either. However, if she thinks the reason she lost is media slant, she really must be isolated in her winter wonderland. She lost because she was ridiculously inexperienced on every metric and was spouting off unpopular, reactionary views that don't play with the public any more. Palin is free to criticize, that is the right of an American citizen, but don't expect the rest of us to give her a shot at the presidency EVER.

March 25, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  10. Casey

Selective memory. Of course, nothing about lying, pandering to fear, calling people terrorists, etc. And certainly nothing about that "bridge to nowhere" made a difference.

The republicans are just plain pathetically laughable.

Sarah - notice how Obama's approval rating is going UP? It's a clue for the clueless like you.

March 25, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Tom Shepherd

Can we please have Ms Palin stop this incessant blame game about the "liberal media". There is , I believe, an equally good case that she received such wide spread adulation from conservative news channels and radio talk show hosts, that it as least balanced out whatever perceived negatives she got from other media.
    And why is it that arch conservatives are constantly using the media to criticize the media ?

March 25, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  12. H Sandford Pinyan

Yes, I agree that the media coverage of Ms. Palin was slanted. Almost all of it was entirely too kind. Very little of the press coverage came right out and said that she was less prepared to run for national office than my 14 year old, deaf, blind, kidney-failing dog.

Yes, entirely slanted.

March 25, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  13. Expat in Canada

How can anyone "lash out" at the media after she bombed the Couric interview? Seriously, if you can't answer a question like "what newspapers do you read?", then you can't blame reporters for wondering if you're qualified.

March 25, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  14. Carole

I see she is using big words now like 'candid'. Wonder if she knows what that word means? She does not practice candid.

The PRESS is not the culprit, her mouth is. Everytime she opens it she creates her own demons. Quit blaming the press!

March 25, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. Bill Powell

Just what we need, another President who's language and grammar skills didn't get beyond third grade.

While not everybody agrees with Obama's policies, most would agree the guy can talk eloquently and with conviction.

March 25, 2009 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. SmallTownMama

Oh yeah, Governor. Keep "bein' who you are".

More reason for the majority of us to retain the White House for at least one further term, in an attempt to repair just a fraction of the damage of the past 8 appalling years.
    You go, girl.

March 25, 2009 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  17. Dave Wyman

>"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11"<

Palin has become a parody of herself.

And she's wrong to claim no terrorist attack followed 9/11. In fact, the anthrax attack occurred within days of the first event, and 9/11 itself followed similar attacks on the World Trade Center some years earlier.

March 25, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  18. Roger

Never before in history has anyone said so little using so many words. But I'm not complaining. I just call it like I see it.

March 25, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  19. Richard L

The media DID NOT force Palin to run a campaign of lies, smears, innuendos and ignorance. The media DID NOT cause Palin to show a lack of respect for Barack Obama although he and Joe Biden showed respect for her and McCain.

Palin got the loss she richly deserved.

March 25, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Yeah, the pro-big business, conglomerate controlled media is what ruined you, Sarah. Never mind that you were too stupid to answer questions like, "What newspapers do you read?" It was the media.... PS I'll gladly debate you for money. Wink!

March 25, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  21. Todd B

This woman continues to blame everyone else when the real reason John McCain lost the election was because of her. But he chose her as his running mate so ultimately it was his mistake.

You can blame everyone else, but ultimately, intelligence counts, Sarah!

March 25, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  22. Big Mowma

Well good for her. Those of us working our tails off to just get by can call it like we see it too. I want to see Ms. Palin live for a year, paycheck to paycheck and then call it like she sees it.

March 25, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  23. Helen

she grinned and said she meant no disrespect.

What are we supposed to take from this? A holier-than-thou attitude is really just not that attractive in anybody, but especially not in a public servant.

Ever thought, lovely Sarah, that nobody wanted to hold hands with YOU?

March 25, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  24. cd

When you can't deliver a message coherently and when that message is in-effective... don't blame yourself. Blame the media.

March 25, 2009 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  25. Penrosewd

"How about we just keep it simple?" you sure do: "I speak from the heart and I do such a thing."

Compare this rambling with Pres. Obama's articulateness last night: a man who uses words like "systemic", "problematic", "mechanism" effortlessly – the language reflects the thought process. I don't need to say more.

March 25, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |