March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

"Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Cystem Phailure

"Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly," Sometimes? How about, EVERY time. That's why McCain had to keep you muzzled and on a leash.

March 25, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. Obama is one and done.....

Sarah, see you in 2012. However, get ready because Obama is going to leave you a bankrupt banana republic.

March 25, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. maf

More Sarah Palinisms

"the GOP had really better can stand together" excuse me?

"But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to." huh?

I had almost forgotten about her run on sentences that really don't say anything, or say the same thing over again without a purpose other than to just hear herself talk.

When can Alaskan's vote her out? Can't wait. It's long past 15 minutes.

March 25, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  4. Beryl

Perhaps it would be wise for Ms Palil to look at some of her campaign comments, her history, her method and manner and the demographics of her voter appeal and the comments of those who spent time with her, like members of the McCain team. Then, since that will no doubt baffle her, she could look at her behaviors around clothes, her family and the comments about her use of political funds to outfit and equip her family. If she were a staff member in my business, she'd have been fired for her actions. Just what we need in a politician, someone who milks the system for their own benefit. Oh my, perhaps I should have said, in yet another politician. the problem with her is she wasn't, isn't, smart enough to realize how people actually view her. Can you, in your wildest imagination, think of her as our president? Oh, wow! What a disaster.

March 25, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  5. Bob Raper

Is Sarah Palin ever going to go away? Enough is enough, let's at least have a few years of calm without her constant whining until the next Presidential debates.

Is that really asking too much?

March 25, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  6. Tim

Please, keep reporting on anything Palin says or does. If she remains in the spotlight, she might end up on the GOP ticket again and nothing she will ever do in her lifetime will be a greater service than that. I only wish she could torpedo some additional Republican campaigns in the meantime.

March 25, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. JR

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November.

And the number one reason was you, Caribou Barbie.

March 25, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. ninos

When will this thing learn to speak English? Please, God! Make this horrid thing go away!!! Maybe the people of Alaska can appease the volcano Gods by throwing her into Mr. Redoubt!!!!

March 25, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  9. Beryl

Perhaps it would be wise for Ms Palil to look at some of her campaign comments, her history, her method and manner and the demographics of her voter appeal and the comments of those who spent time with her, like members of the McCain team. Then, since that will no doubt baffle her, she could look at her behaviors around clothes, her family and the comments about her use of political funds to outfit and equip her family. If she were a staff member in my business, she'd have been fired for her actions. Just what we need in a politician, someone who milks the system for their own benefit. Oh my, perhaps I should have said, in yet another politician. The problem with her is she wasn't, isn't, smart enough to realize how people actually view her. That's the problem with not real smart people, they actually think they are. Can you, in your wildest imagination, think of her as our president? Oh, wow! What a disaster.

March 25, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  10. Time for Term Limits

Once again Palin is playing the victim card. Suggesting that because she is a woman she should be treated with kid gloves. This is very sexist.

March 25, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. Rex A. Crouch

Sarah can blame the media all day long, but it was Sarah who made herself look like a joke, not the media. I hope Alaska votes Palin, and her First Punk out of office soon. Sarah needs to go back to being a hockey mom, and Todd needs to go back to fishing where he can't use his wife's office to intimidate people.

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  12. zack

please stop covering this woman. i would be embarrased to be a republican if this was the face of my party.

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  13. Laszlo in L.A.

I'm so happy that Sarah Palin so plainly doesn't get it. If she ever got smart, Democrats might really be in trouble.

If my state were suffering economically and environmentally, the last thing I would want to hear from my governor would be whining about a media bias. That doesn't inspire or solve any problems. Replaying the 2008 presidential election over and over again will not generate a different result.

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  14. Beryl

Perhaps it would be wise for Ms Palin to look at some of her campaign comments, her history, her method and manner and the demographics of her voter appeal and the comments of those who spent time with her, like members of the McCain team. Then, since that will no doubt baffle her, she could look at her behaviors around clothes, her family and the comments about her use of political funds to outfit and equip her family. If she were a staff member in my business, she'd have been fired for her actions. Just what we need in a politician, someone who milks the system for their own benefit. Oh my, perhaps I should have said, in yet another politician. The problem with her is she wasn't, isn't, smart enough to realize how people actually view her. That's the problem with not real smart people, they actually think they are. Can you, in your wildest imagination, think of her as our president? Oh, wow! What a disaster.

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Matt

Is it just me, or do most people find Palin's words to be a whole lotta jibberish? I mean, seriously now. Her words have been presented in text on CNN, and it's still nearly impossible to understand what she's saying.

I also think there's a lot of humor in the constant threats we hear from the Republicans. "Beware, folks! 9/11 might happen again! Be afraid and don't question the policies of us Red believers!"

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  16. David

Plain and simple, Sarah Palin wasn't prepared to run for office of the vice presidency. Outspoken she may be, but she lacked the experience, the knowledge, the foresight for how things happen in the world of national politics. She should have known what the process entailed. To commit to the candidacy without considering that her life and her family would be closely scrutinized was naive, to say the least. If she does, indeed, desire a future in politics, she has a lot to learn. John McCain and the Republican party did her no favors by capatulting her into the spotlight, but she only makes it worse.

March 25, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  17. Thank God for Barack

Still complaining about the McCain staff's handling of her...still blaming the media...still whining to anyone who will listen.

Still singing the same dumb song.

March 25, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  18. David Jacobson, New York NY

That "media slant" helped keep voters informed of Governor Palin's right-wing, ideology-driven, bible-thumping governing philosophy.

What would this underexperienced former sportscaster do as Vice President- pray her way out of the fiscal crisis?

March 25, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  19. I'm just sayin'...

In the immortal words of the poet and prophet "Larry the Cable Guy"... "I don't care who you are, that's FUNNY right thar!"

Keep it comin' Carribou Barbie...

March 25, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  20. Grego

Sarah don't blame your lack if knowledge of world issues on the media. That is just lame. You just were not ready. Instead of bashing the press, go educate yourself, then come back ready to lead. People gave you a chance you just blew it. Could you imagine McCain and Palin dealing with the current economic issues?

March 25, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  21. Dan

Please stop giving her press.

Thanks,
    America

March 25, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  22. Georgia Gal

I hate to be the one to break it to Sarah, but the press is not the reason the Republicans lost in November. It was that John McCain didn't have a clue about the economy (Him saying "The fundamentals of our economy are strong" the same day Lehman Brothers went under) and that he nominated a completely clueless woman to be his V.P.

March 25, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  23. KD

A degree in journalism? I invite everyone to read this excerpt again and tell me truthfully that this woman has even a basic command of the English language. And to think she could have been negotiating with Putin. Goodness me, I want to return to school where she got that degree. Judging by these standards, and a plethora of previous examples that have spewed from this marginally-educated political lightweight, I could get myself a Ph. D in the morning and fit in 18-holes in the afternoon; or as Sarah would say “I could like, get a.ya know, degree thingy that makes you like a doctor, a er, Hd. P.”

March 25, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  24. walker

I am a little astonished by Ms. Palin's comments. It was she that was protected and made inaccesible to the press by the McCain camp. It was she that gave those stupid answers to Katie Couric. Ms. Palin is sounding like a giant case of sour grapes.

March 25, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Pete

1. Sarah, not every religious person practices the "hold hands and loudly pray before each and every activity" kind of thing that evangelicals like to do. Of course, you all do it to draw attention about just how darn religious you are.

2. It is utterly disturbing how Republicans are seemingly openly cheering for another terrorist attack to occur as a way to retroactively exonerate Bush for his completely incompetent way he dealt with the attack that occurred on his watch.

3. Sarah, you're confused about the press. The economy cratered under GOP leadership. The GOP ticket promised to maintain every single policy of Bush, and the press was supposed to, what, sing hosannas about this?

I've never seen such a thin-skinned politician in my adult lifetime. She makes Nixon look like Timothy Leary in comparison.

March 25, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |