March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

"Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Anonymous

give me a break. palin is loving every second that she can complain about losing. sore loser. get over it. i'm sorry that the journalists thought that grammar and a coherent speech was important. i guess that makes them "elite" because they are "picky" about the english language making sense!

March 25, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  2. ang

When will she ever shut up and when will the media quit giving her the the exposure or the time of day? I see a nation slipping ito the abyss and we got Jerry Springer candidates talking out of side of their necks. Wow, republicans really have an all star line-up, Limbaugh, Steele, Jindal, Palin, Bozo the clown...

March 25, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  3. Corwin7

Well...Honey you just keep on being "who (and what) you ... really are" and we will just keep on signing all the people who can't stand "what you really are" up with a brand new liberal democrat voting registration ok? I have an idea...how about hang a sign over the local GOP district office that reads NEEDED: Stupid people and bigots apply within and maybe just a tiny little arrow so they don't get confused on the way in the door.

March 25, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  4. Tami

Shut up already. When you call it like you see it over and over and over, we in the real world call that whining.

March 25, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  5. John Seal

Poor Sarah. She's forgotten the anthrax attacks. Or does she not consider those terrorism?

March 25, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  6. efd600

Part of me wishes Palin would go away. The other part loves to read the dumb statements she makes. What to do ...

March 25, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  7. Patricia T.

Sarah keeps on talking - and yet she says nothing. She says she "calls it like she sees it" - but you read the sentence, and there's nothing there. She still cannot put together a coherent thought. She spoke for nearly an hour? Oh my . . .

Before she speaks again publicly, I wish she would hit on a . . . topic. And please not the standard bit about the biased media . . . old stuff. Actually, I'm just wishing she'll go away!

March 25, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  8. bforget@etfsinc.com

whawhawha........it's all the media's fault........maybe all those years at college you should have been paying attention and LEARN something....

March 25, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  9. Eric

Yes, there were a variety of reasons the Republicans lost, and she's one of them. It's funny how she left that out of the speech.

March 25, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  10. T.Robinson

Palin had the worst first impression in the history of the country. That's what ruined her not the gotcha media or the liberal media first impression.

March 25, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  11. Kenneth

This woman can not put a sentence together, yet she has the audacity to talk about her "journalism degree she had in college." in an effort to slam the media.
    Could she be any more ridiculous?

March 25, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  12. Cynthia - Arkansas

She STILL doesn't understand that McCain and Palin lost the election because of their MESSAGE, not the press. All they did was spew hate and fear. People are sick and tired of that. Why is this woman still getting any press time at all? Her 15 minutes are up.

Still today, the Republicans are out in full force spreading fear and discontent. No ideas, No solutions. Just twisted half truths and gloom and doom. They want President Obama's "policies" to fail? If his policies fail, we all go down. What a bunch of political hacks. Even as bad a Bush was, we never tried to scare people or talked about a revolution in OUR own country. Just crazy talk!

March 25, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  13. David from NOVA

Way to go Sarah!! The Obama is ruining the American economy it'll be an easy win for her in 2012.

March 25, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  14. mike

As a parent of 6, 8, and 10 year-olds, I know whining when I see it. The phrases "like I see it " (twice), and"I speak from my heart" are admissions of her bias. Let's face it – we all are biased. We all come from different pasts. I wish all would acknowledge that fact and not try to always whine about how those with whom we don't agree with are biased.

March 25, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Condecending CNN.

March 25, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  16. dooley

What a lady!

March 25, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  17. Tim

She didn't know jack, and it was quite obvious from her inability to articulate a sensible answer. The media picked up on what was right there for everyone to see, if they were actually willing to look. She needs to look in a mirror when she starts pointing fingers. The future of my country was at stake, and neither I nor millions of others were willing to trust it to someone who cannot construct a sentence.

March 25, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  18. Rick

The liberals probably don't care what she has to say, but she is 100% on about the media. If the media can slant things one way, they can do it against a liberal candidate as well. I think it is a travesty with all the bias in the media today. They are a big part of the problem and it is great to see many liberal newspapers struggling financially.

God Bless America

March 25, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  19. WMB

After all the focus on her fighting the powerful Republican establishment in her state, her record of reform as a Governor, her experience on energy issues, the constant replay of her youngest daughter licking her hand to paste down the hair of her infant brother during her convention speech...how dare her claim the is media bias!

March 25, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  20. Dan

Yeah, ok, Sarah. Media bias lost you the election. Not the disgraceful performance of Bush or your inability to name one newspaper or magazine you read. That's a really hard-hitting question, ain't it.

Sap.

March 25, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  21. drahcir61

Earth to Palin ... you proved thru many interviews last year that you ARE NOT an intelligent person. That is why you received so much bad press. You continue to be scrutinized because you have nothing intelligent to say; all you do is complain.

Last year you said stupid things over & over yet your enormous ego still gave us the "wink" & the beauty-queen-wannabe-smile because you didn't even realize that what you were saying made no sense to anyone listening. Please go away, you offer nothing of value to anyone.

March 25, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. Bob

What the heck is the "media elite"? I'm guessing it's anyone who doesn't agree with her or takes her to task on ridiculous statements. I guess Fox News is not "elite". Wow.

March 25, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  23. FactCheck

Typical Republican Neocon.. blame everyone else but never bother to ask the real questions of what happened and how can it be fixed.

March 25, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  24. Todd

I love it. CNN's use of the direct quotes from the speech just make it crystal clear how lame and unsophisticated Palin is. The "evil media" don't need to slant anything; they can just quote the lady and let her incomplete thoughts and sentences speak for themselves! Love it, love it, love it. Keep it coming, Republicans.

PS Compare her quotes with Obama's speech last night. Isn't it fantastic to have a smart and articulate person in the Oval Office?

March 25, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. Don't Know Alaska Talk

Is this how Alaskan's talk. I'm not trying to be disrespectful. But, really, I cannot make any sense out of what she said.

And this blaming the media thing - come on. If the "liberal media" is as all powerful as some like Sarah Palin would like us to believe, then how the heck did George Bush end up in the White House for two terms? It's a convenient but poor argument.

March 25, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |