March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Andrew

Why is she newsworthy? It's very clear she externalizes all her problems. Most of American could clearly see the problem was her, not the media, yet she still doesn't get it. What does this say about her judgment to remain in politics?

March 25, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. Alex, NJ

No Way No How No Sarah Palin 2012.

March 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  3. Red Maple

oh golly! Still doing the victim of the media thing. Somebody needs to paint a big 'V' on her forhead! Does this woman never learn to keep her mouth shut. Can you even image the difficulty she would have in taking the heat in a national office should she ever win one. The GOP better take a very hard look at her before nominating her for anything in the future. She's an embarrasment. What a wimp. Our nation is in the middle of one of the most difficult times of it's history, she has no suggestions for any positive solutions, just whining about how the media treats her. Thank heavens she lost!

March 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  4. Ricardo

From the sound of it, she obviously wrote this speech herself. She sounds like a whiner and a bad one at that. Why does she always speak in incomplete sentences?

March 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. Tina, NC

I know what I'll be praying for. I'll be praying with my fellow Democrats that Palin runs in 2012!

This woman is a walking/talking billboard for education reform.

March 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. t

"And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also."

awesome.

March 25, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Rob R

Is it just me? or is Palin so clueless? She needs to only read this portion of her speech to understand why she can never aspire to a higher office:

Is this the leadership of the GOP?

March 25, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  8. CNN Junkie

Ms. Palin:

Can you lay low for a while? It takes a lot to be president/vice president. It may be best if you do a reality check and realize that you do not have it in you!!! The media is not crazy to lampoon a brilliant person with trmendous potential. Rather than blame the media for all your gaffes it would help to do some introspection.

March 25, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  9. Gary O

"she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate ". Maybe she should have spent that time preparing for the debate by learning the sorts of basic facts that any American citizen should be expected to know, nevermind the Vice President. Or pray to an imaginary superman and blame the media. Whatever.

March 25, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  10. C W

First of all, the media isn't the problem. Has this woman ever read a transcript of her speeches, debates, rallies, interviews? She's just not that bright – that's not bias, that's fact.

Case in point: "Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

What the heck does that mean?

March 25, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  11. Drew Williams

The media reported EXACTLY what she said, and she came across like an idiot. The media reported EXACTLY what Obama said and he came across as intelligent. So, this is the eeeeeeeevil MSM's fault how?

March 25, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  12. Santa Maria

Amen, Mrs. Pahlin. The media should be ashamed of the outright lies they spread about you. If they had put half an ounce of energy into trying to find out the truth about Obama instead of lying about you, we would have a great presidential team now, instead of the down the tubes in a hurry boneheads we are stuck with.

March 25, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  13. Bob D

Poor, poor Sarah.

Isn't it possible she wasn't the best candidate?

Isn't it possible John McCain wasn't the best candidate?

Isn't it possible the media reported how she was alternately shielded from the press, then how she failed her press interviews, correctly?

I think it is more than possible.

I can't see Russia from my house, but I can feel and see, and experience the failed Bush/Cheney/Blunt policies from my house!

Thank God, we have a new President.

God Bless our new president AND America.

March 25, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. p

The media was all slanted in the same direction.

Because they all recognized and reported that Sarah Palin was horribly unfit for any office, let alone the Vice Presidency.

But Fox news went against the grain. They said she was only marginally horribly unfit for office.

March 25, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  15. David Ferguson

Ever notice that people who say they aren't complaining about something usually are? I think the Republicans communicated their ideas plenty well prior to the election, which is primarily WHY they lost. Be interesting to see when election time comes around again if she gets re-elected as governor.

March 25, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. Michael - USAF Veteran

And Governor Palin has a right to criticize the media. Out of 50 Governors in the Union she gets picked on. Leave her alone. The media is slanting stories about the new young Republicans; Palin, Jindal, Schock, and Cantor because they fear them. All these politicians have the ability to make conservatism a main stream youth movement.

March 25, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  17. Dustin

"And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail."
    Either CNN needs some new copy editors or the things that come out of Mrs. Palin's mouth are only nominally English sentences. What the heck is that even supposed to mean? "Had better can stand together"? I suppose in a context, and perhaps heard spoken aloud, that might make a tiny bit of sense, but otherwise, um, no.
    I find it dismaying how so many of us are so quick to accuse others of having a "slant" or persecuting us unfairly, but very few of us are willing to take a moment to reflect on the messages that we're sending. Maybe the media was a little harsh on the Governor because words are their stock-in-trade and Mrs. Palin mangles them so badly. (Incidentally, am I the only one who finds it mind-boggling that she has a degree in journalism?) Or maybe we should expect more from our elected officials – more insight, more vision and more ability to communicate effectively. After eight years of "Mr. Is Our Children Learning", I for one am thrilled to have a president who can articulate a complex thought.
    Or maybe, in the immortal words of Mr. Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."

March 25, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. Thomas Harris

Sad she just does NOT get it...........even yet.

Instead of blaming the press for her bad performance, why can't she look at herself? She is the one who could not answer the simplest of questions.............then, rather than accept responsibility for her shortcomings...........she blames the press.

That's two strikes against her............1) lacking the intellectual fortitude to be able to respond articulately to the media in an intelligent manner and 2) not being able to accept responsibility.

She will never be able to improve herself until she does an inventory of her shortcomings and acts to overcome them........just more of the same; different face, same tactic.

Will she EVER get it? I doubt it!

March 25, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  19. No. VA Conservative

You go Sarah. The folks who don't like you just back it up with vagueness. You stand for what you believe in and a lot of us feel the way you do about conservative fiscal and social values. You were treated very unfairly last fall . . .

March 25, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. Larry

I continue to be baffled by the Republican party's inability to recognize the American people's ability to choose the best canidate

Instead they choose to search for reasons ... lost souls

March 25, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  21. Paul

Sarah Palin cannot stop whining and complaining. She cannot accept the fact they they, she, lost because they were being who they are. It is forever something or somebody else to blame for the loss that she simply cannot accept. So now she is really saying they have to come up with a new mask not a new party. Same old party, different image. So she prayed to god for strength and still lost anyway presumably because she could not pray with McCain and his staff? Apparently god didn't like her either I suppose? She sounds so much like a whiney child who cannot understand why everybody doesn't love them. Will she ever put it behind her? If she has serious plans to run in 2012 and I have no doubt she will, Obama simply has nothing whatsoever to be concerned with.

March 25, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. Mat

Look the biggest problem Palin has is the fact when she opens her mouth she sounds stupid, uneducated and naive – the US spent 8 years with a President that couldn't help but be the butt of all jokes the last thing the country or the GOP needs is another easy target for 'the liberal media elite" or whatever they'll call it in 4 years!

If the media was really that unfair to her, and actually she did know all the answers to the questions she was asked but for some reason she couldn't spit them out, just stop talking about it –

I would never vote for this woman, as she scares me, she's extreme and cares more for her political career than anything that's going on in the world –

I would vote republican if 1) they could get behind an idea and not just bash anything Obama says or does and 2) had someone that inspired me – it's not hard, stand by something other than family values (that most Republicans seem to break) religion (that has no place in politics) and Abortions (really – let it go) Until the GOP can turn that corner they'll be an afterthought in most voters minds!

March 25, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  23. Jim W.

What a great speaker, that would-be-vice-president Sarah Palin, not complain', but just callin' it like she sees it as she wanders across this great country talkin' to everyday folk like Joe the Plumber who got to see firsthand just how bad the media is in this great country where, God bless, someone like her could run for president against a communist like Barack Obama and Joe Biden and those liberal tree-hugging democrats that let the media run wild with all of their 5 W's that she learned back in journalism school where she says she got a degree but based on the fact that she can't seem to ever end a sentence it's hard to believe that she ever even went to high school anywhere in this great country where, God bless, she ran for vice-president when the media attacked her, even though she's not complaining, just calling it like she sees it....

March 25, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  24. C W

Regarding the term "enemy combatant," if we're at war, then why didn't Cheney and Bush call those detained "prisoners of war"?

Oh, I remember now. If detainees were called POWs, the United States would have to abide by the Geneva Convention regarding their treatment.

And since Cheney and Bush had no intention of abiding by International Law (regardless of the consequences it would have to not only our reputation, but would put our own military personnel at greater risk of maltreatment if captured), Cheney and Bush simply changed the term to "enemy combatants." Just like so many of their other maneuvers to circumvent the law and the Constitution.

Surely, even Simple Sarah can understand this ...

March 25, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  25. Lesley Anne

I'm sorry but she still sounds self-righteous, and try as I do, I can't understand what she's saying. She doesn't speak coherently, although I can tell she is lashing out at the world for interrupting her plans. I thought Meaghan McCain made more sense on the Larry King Show.

March 25, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |