March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

"Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Ed from Durango

What, the media shouldn't have reported on Governor Palin and her pathetic lack of any understanding of the world around her. Poor Sarah, she likes the spotlight, but doesn't want to be portrayed as she is. Please give me a break.

March 25, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  2. ib

Way to go Sarah somebody needs to tell these people. I can't figure why the left media and liberals hate her so much. I think they are scared of her and won't admit it.

March 25, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  3. Ted R.

Really!?!?!? Gov. Palin sneezes and you run an article?? Is there anything in her speech that she hasn't said (and CNN hasn't reported on) before? Stop feeding the trolls, CNN. Don't drag the 4th Estate any farther into the mire than it already is.

March 25, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. Jim

It stands to reason that Sarah Palin would blame the press for her failures as a vice presidential candidate. After all, the press is who exposed her for the unprepared person for the job. I personally thank them for the fine work, because the thought of her being just one heartbeat from being president scared me to death.

March 25, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  5. catmom

Wasn't she the person that said something about Hillary Clinton making women look bad by whining about the treatment she was receiving from the media?

March 25, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. AKTOPGUN

She should probably announce her presidential campaign now!!!

March 25, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  7. JT

Can this woman do anything else with her time besides complaining about what's going on. If she isn't happy of what's going on with the economy, she should of came up with any type of plan to help the economy when her and McCain had a chance. Why is she even an issue of any sort? Palin, do us a favor and shut your mouth and worry about getting re-elected for your own state.

March 25, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  8. carol

She is lashing out at the media to blame them for her incompetency.
    She was a part of the reason McCain lost. Her incompetency was witnessed by millions of people, not just the media.

March 25, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  9. roig

Sarah Palin is whining just as she always had. She is a heavy weight that the Republican party has hung around its own neck.

March 25, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  10. JB

More rants about slanted reporting?!? Grow up, Ms. Palin.

There was plenty of obfuscation during the recent presidential campaign; however, the manure and misinformation emanated from media sources at BOTH ends of the political spectrum.

March 25, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. mike

why are we still talking about this lady? What relevance does she have. Shes some Jane six pack that doesn't matter anymore. As long as Americans keep evolving, we should never have to hear about her again. You don't even hear as much about McCain as you do hear about her. Lets ignore her and maybe she will go away.

March 25, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  12. les katz

I am sick and tired of republicans saying that we haven't had a terrorist attack since 9-11. Well we haven't had a attack on American soil by by foreigners since WW 2 when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. 9-11 happened when Bush was president! Quit distorting history and current events to suit your religious holier than thou attitude. The republican party sure isn't the grand old party anymore, they should be called the American Taliban party for shoving their religious values down our throats. They want to regulate womens bodies and our sex lives and marriages. But when the government under democrats start to bring policies to try and fix the mistakes that the republicans made the last 8yrs thats when the say the government is itruding, intervening and we are becoming socialist! The double standard is so plain to see.

March 25, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  13. C W

Here's a suggestion for Simple Sarah: If you don't like the media, stay out of the spotlight.

Oops, I forgot: She's a Republican, the party that only has fear, division, blame, self-pity and lies to offer the American public. She obviously firmly believes that if she keeps saying the same nonsense over and over again ("We lost in November because of the media!"), enough of her "base" will believe it.

How pathetic to want to lead such a group of ignoramuses!

March 25, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  14. Mike Campbell

She uses a state political dinner to whine about how the media did her wrong and she isn't complaining? Reading the quotes is nothing but a continuous whine. If my 3 year old daughter was rambling like that I would stop her and ask her to think of the right words and give me one sentence. Wow, almost 2nd in command, yet speaks like a 16 year old in a Van Nuy, CA mall

March 25, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  15. steve

Palin is completely out of touch with reality.

She brought everything she got upon herself.

March 25, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  16. Victim's Rights ... Old GOP rallying cry

Mrs. Palin – It would seem that you and Mr. McCain have no responsibility for lossing the election.

I now understand that it wasn't your fault .... it was somebody elses.

You poor, poor victim!.

March 25, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  17. anthony

Republicans give the media too much credit. If the media was reason the Republicans lost the election, how did George W. Bush won two elections? The media was just as liberal in 2000 as it was in 2008. Reagan won two elections back in the 80's. Was the media conservative then? No.

March 25, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. Laurie

Thanks, CNN, for the laughs. As I read the quotes from her speech, it's obvious that the economy was not the primary reason for McCain's defeat... it was having Palin on the ticket.

March 25, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. ztormtra

The Media & the DNC Socialist Left is really afraid of strong principled women that have children AND a career AND are leaders.

March 25, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  20. gwen

Just like a republican, blame, blame, blame. Hey why not own up that the republican's failed miserably and that is why they lost!!!!! OH and the fact that you were seriously under qualified for the job!!!

March 25, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  21. BKrause

How is it that such an illiterate and shallow individual gets so much attention? There must be an inverse proportion between ignorance and spotlight. What's Palin complaining about? Every time she burps, the light's on her, again. And we have to endure another boring invective.

March 25, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  22. Brad

"Complaining, whining"
    Oh of course not. But them why do I read this comment from you at least once a week?
    Sorry the media asked to see your cards only to see you had nothing to offer.

March 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  23. Texas Annie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Ya know, I've read her comments about 4 times now, and I'm still trying to figure out what she said– or thought she said– or meant to say–

March 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  24. cate

you have go tot be kIdding me! Gov. Palin wouldn't know how to speak from the heart if it hit her in the face..her whole schtick is "politics"...how can I say or do something which is going to move me forward politically!! And to continue blaming the press for her "bad press" (interviews, debates, etc.) is just a joke! She will use whatever she can (ie: her children, husband, Alaska legislature) to get what she wants...her kind of politics is what the American people voted against in November and will continue to vote against...she can go with her right wing Evangelical hypocrites and start another party cause that is the only way she will get anywhere (and it won't be into Washington, DC or the White House!)...I have alot of friends who live up there and they keep saying that she won't get a second term as Governor...maybe she and her husband should worry about their family first and careers second!!

March 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. KR

This woman does not deserve a comment. It was not the media's fault that McCain lost and ultimatley it was McCain's ticket and not hers she was like Joe Biden Veep candiate. I am sorry I do not see a whole lot of personal growth on your part or growth on your party's part

I feel you have been whining since day one..

March 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |