March 26th, 2009

Palin unplugged in speech to Alaska GOP dinner

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

Palin said there was 'unprecedented' media slant during the campaign.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin is teeing off on the media once again.

In a little-noticed speech to a GOP dinner in Alaska last week, Palin riffed for nearly an hour on a variety of topics - including her relationship with former McCain staffers, the Bush administration's anti-terror efforts, and actress Ashley Judd.

But the Alaska governor returned multiple times to the "unprecedented level of media slant" that she witnessed during her two-months on the Republican ticket with John McCain.

Her speech, delivered last Friday to the Anchorage Lincoln Day Dinner, was recorded by the Alaska Republican Party and posted online Tuesday.

Reflecting on the campaign, Palin said there were "a variety of reasons" Republicans lost in November, namely the faltering economy, but she seemed to place most of the blame on the press.

"Some in the media actually participated in not so much the 'who-what-where-when-why' objective reporting on candidates and positions, those five W's that I learned when I had a journalism degree so many years ago in college, when the world of journalism was quite different than it is today," she said.

"No, things have changed," she continued. "But complaining? Or whining? Absolutely not. But I am going to call it like I see it. It doesn't do any good to whine about any of this. But I can call it like I see it. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble when I speak candidly, and I speak from the heart and I do such a thing. But I am going to."

"And there was that media slant this go round," she said. "And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. I call it like I see it and like I lived it on the campaign trail. Not complaining, but dealing with reality."

"Those are the cards that are dealt us," she said, "and we had better learn to play that hand and do things right and do things better."

Later in the speech, she told a story about praying for strength before last October's Vice Presidential debate with Joe Biden in St. Louis.

"So I'm looking around for somebody to pray with, I just need maybe a little help, maybe a little extra," she said. "And the McCain campaign, love 'em, you know, they're a lot of people around me, but nobody I could find that I wanted to hold hands with and pray." As the crowd laughed, Palin grinned and said she meant no disrespect to the McCain campaign. She said she ultimately prayed with her daughter Piper.

The governor also took a shot at an environmental group fronted by actress Ashley Judd - the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund - that has mounted a campaign against the governor to halt the practice aerial wolf hunting in Alaska. Palin called on her fellow Republicans to "stand up to those goofy Defenders of Wildlife celebrity starlets who don't even know about Alaska."

She mocked the Obama administration's elimination of the term "enemy combatant" and reminded the crowd that "we're at war." She lauded former President Bush for his efforts to prevent another terrorist attack after September 11, standing up for the 43rd president even though "the political and media elite ridiculed and mocked him."

"It's no small accomplishment that no terrorist attack has occurred since 9/11," Palin said.

Adding her voice to the debate over the future of the GOP, Palin said the Republican Party would be happy to welcome Democrats and independents who might grow frustrated with Democratic overreach, but she rejected the suggestion that the party should become more moderate. Instead, she argued, Republicans need to better communicate their ideas.

"Sometimes, the middle of the fence is really the most uncomfortable place to be," she said. "How about we just keep it simple? To grow, we've got to be who we are."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. T

Sarah Palin is yesterday's news. She had her 15 minutes of fame and she lost. She's a sore loser still living and dwelling on the past. I'm sure if the media was made up of nothing but Fox News and Rush Limbaugh she would say it was great. Fortunately, it doesn't work that way.

March 25, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. david Armendale, SF, CA

It makes my head hurt trying to make any logical sense of the sounds or words that spill out of this woman. She seems to be comfortable operating from approximately the same level of immaturity and under-developed ideas as W. Given that, she's sure to go far in the GOP.

March 25, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. rob verdi

and she was right, compare and contrast her to Biden and there is no way a person can think otherwise. Please you had democrats using her special needs child against her while the media was cutting and pasting her speeches to make a caricature of her. Good for her.

March 25, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  4. Joanna

"And unless things change, the GOP had really better can stand together, 'cause we got that on the battlefield also. "

Sarah is as eloquent as always, Enough said! lol also you betcha

March 25, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  5. Kathy

Simple is who you are, Sarah. If you are the best the Republicans can do, we are all in big trouble.

March 25, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  6. Nancy

wow – I can barely understand Palin! She has no real command of the English language! Thank goodness she's not in the white house – we don't need another leader butchering our language for eight more years!

March 25, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  7. Sammy

The 'its the medias fault' blame game has been around forever so Sarah saying it is to be expected. However, I dont like the insinuation that I cannot think for myself and decide whom to vote for on my own regardless of what the pundits say. Some slant this way others slant that way. So what? I dont listen to them anyway and make up my own mind thank you very much. And... I made up my own mind and decided she was not ready to be VP.

March 25, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  8. Ed of Portland

Of course Palin is whining – as she has done since November. Her problem with the media is that they simply televised and reported what she said – and what she said revealed her ignorance, the shallowness of her thinking, the emptiness of her political and intellectual cupboard. The reason so many people – including Republicans, independents, and a number of conservative writers (like David Brooks) were so down on her candidacy is that we all felt insulted by it – offended at the idea that we should take seriously her readiness to be Vice-President, and perhaps President. Palin has no one to blame but herself.

March 25, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. Los

I guess from now until the end of time we can expect Sarah Palin to be completely blameless of everything since, according to her, everything and anything is the media's fault.

March 25, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  10. Strange

Yes, I see. During the six years that the GOP had the White House, Judiciary, Congress and Senate, it was the media that oppressed the party. Give me a break. The GOP stands for nothing but division of the American people, and the GOP has no ideas for running the country other than "cutting taxes" as if that isn't what helped get us to where this country is now financially. Palin does not have and has not displayed the educational merit to be the leader of the USA. Blaming personal ignorance on the media won't work this time. What do the neocons have against well-spoken, intelligent people in their own party?

March 25, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  11. Matt In WA

Makes one wonder if Palin will ever accept that her lack of qualifications for the job were a factor in why the GOP lost. Maybe she should start by watching reruns of SNL, in which Tina Fey got huge laughs by simply mimicking her rather faithfully. Sad that Palin has no clue about the depth of her cluelessness.

March 25, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. Anonymous

I think she is talking the truth. I am an independent and it was absolutely obvious that the media was in the tank with Obama. They are a big reason why Obama is the president and not because his questionable brightness and judgment. A junior senator with very little or nothing to show to the world other than speeches and telepronters. I still think that he is an empty suit and is going to drive this country to the toilet.

March 25, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  13. chippa

Gov. Palin used the words "not complaining" , yet that s ALL she does. She also used the word "goofy" . This is Presidential??The american people tried and rejected what she stands for . I watched the campaign and saw NO media slant. I believe it;s just an excuse. Finally, I believe that americans respect accountabiity, something , sadly enough , that Gov. Palin does not have.

March 25, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  14. Pat M

I agree with her. Doesn't mean she will be a good candidate in the future, but she is right, media is biased. Now, the democrats will argue what about Fox...when they make that statement then you agree there is bias in the media.

Secondly, many a political great didn't do so well there first time in national spotlight, but how soon you forget that...but in this case seems like everyone is on a witch hunt. Guess everyone that posts a negative comment never had a bad interview, never made a mistake. She should of not been chosen as a Rep. VP candidate, but that doesn't mean she won't be a good choice in the future.

March 25, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. chris

NO really you ARE whining and you ARE complaining . Just like every other repub. You are a child, unwilling to take responsibility for your own actions. Including the actions of the 8 years of George BUsh's rule, WHICH btw , for the first 2 or 3 years enjoyed tremendous media bias in his favor. Never was the media turned more biased and used to propagate a political agenda than under the GOP. FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 25, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. paul

I'm sorry, but she is a one-trick pony. She has to do something else besides berate the media

March 25, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. Ted D

To think that she could have been a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Wow! To this day that is a frightening thought.

March 25, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. John

For once the media was honest about a candidates stupidity, ignorance, lack of integrity and bigotry. I thought they were being nice to her. I would have pulled out every hate-mongering reference in the books of her "church" and plastered them across every TV Screen in America. The only slant was away from the right wing biased that plagued most major media outlets the previous 8 years towards a more centrist view.

March 25, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  19. I want my party back

Please, go away. Or learn to string together one coherent sentence. Or maybe don't say you're not complaining when clearly you are.

March 25, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  20. Jesse

Yes, we are all slanted against the republicans. Why should we bother listening to these people who are only out for money and power. When is the last time a republican has done anything positive for America? When was the last time a republican helped out at all? Besides, we all know that republicans are the downfall of America thats why they lost....We gave you a chance and you blew it big time so get out of the way .

March 25, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. Matt

Oh, man. her intellectual capacity to understand issues is paper-thin at best. The media does not decide elections - voters do. The media, for the most part, reflects the public's curiosity. They focus group and focus group and focus group. They respond to emails and calls. The public liked Obama and screamed for some kind of change, even if the Dems are only slightly different than Repubs. Palin is not "callin' it like it is," she's complaining and whining. if you want to win the 2012 nomination, Alaska Barbie, you better learn how to play the game or you'll be eaten alive (probably by a bear she fogot to shoot from a 'copter). Just sad to hear her continue to gripe and complain. Just no shame.

March 25, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  22. Judy Zukoski, Barnesville, PA

I could say that she is illiterate, have her comments attest to that, and just let it go.....unfortunately, I cannot, as this egotistical blankety blank blank.... is declaring all-out-war on our Nation's wildlife, not to mention criticizing our current Federal Govt. policies when Alaska Natives are starving, with no help from their Governor....i.e., HER.

If anyone wants to know her policies regarding our Nation's wildlife, google Defenders of Wildlife, which she is so quick to criticize. (Gee....that journalism degree must have helped alot in coming up with that adjective....."goofy" Defenders of ....." )

March 25, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  23. Daisy

I blame the media as well....very corrupt for sure! I agree with Sarah Palin that Obama eliminated the term enemy combatant. Does he think we will all sit around in a circle and hold hands? May the good Lord help us. We shall see if CNN publishes this comment.

March 25, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  24. Jared

That is exactly the problem: you have been exactly who you are. When will they understand that the reason they lost is because a majority of Americans have rejected their ideals. Movement conservatism is no more!!!!!!

March 25, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  25. joe

I do believe the media was hunting and hurting Govenor Palin. I would not disagree that she is a brilliant person and a great Govenor. I'd like to know the Govenor's real reasons for accepting the Vice Presidential nomination?

March 25, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |