March 26th, 2009

Seniors to receive $250 stimulus check in May

Biden announced that seniors will receive their stimulus check in May.
Biden announced that seniors will receive their stimulus check in May.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – An estimated 50 million Social Security recipients will receive their one-time $250 economic stimulus check in May - several weeks ahead of schedule, Vice President Joe Biden announced Thursday.

Biden also announced the distribution of $3.2 billion in new funding for state and local energy efficiency programs from the Department of Energy.

The checks to Social Security recipients, worth a total of $13 billion, "will make a big difference in the lives of older Americans and people with disabilities – many of whom have been hit especially hard by the economic crisis that has swept across the country," Biden said in a written statement.

The energy efficiency funds will come in the form of "formula grants for projects that reduce total energy use and fossil fuel emissions," according to a separate White House statement.

"Local leaders will have the flexibility in how they put these (energy efficiency) resources to work – but we will hold them accountable for making the investments quickly and wisely to spur the local economy and cut energy use," Biden said.

Biden, who made the announcement at a meeting with several cabinet and other senior White House officials, is the administration's point man in overseeing the distribution of the $787 billion stimulus plan. He is being assisted by former Interior Department Inspector General Earl Devaney, who has been tapped to head a new Recovery Act Transparency and Accountability Board.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Stimulus
  1. Alfred E. Neumann

Thank you.

I am remodeling my house and this money will sure come in handy.

Thank you America.

I have my eye on a BMW next year, can I count on your support America?

March 26, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I love the transparency. VP Biden is the right guy to oversee how these funds get distributed.

March 26, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. Shari, NY

This is good news for those people who qualify and who are most likely facing great harship. I would advise them to use this money WISELY because careless spending will set them back.

March 26, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Island girl

Mr. Neumann – I don't know if you are trying to be sarcastic, but this money is not intended for able bodied people. It is intended for SENIORS and people with DISABILITIES. Respect is due!

March 26, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Tony

WOW!! Dont spend it all in one place.

March 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. nel

I'm not "remodeling a house" nor do I want a new car, however I do want to continue purchasing the medicines I need along with my other monthly items. I will use this money for those reasons and be grateful for receiving it. I just don't understand the how some people think....is there ever anything that can take away complaining and just encourage people to be happy for all the litttle blessings...

March 26, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  7. Oh Really....

How is a one-time check for $250 going to help these seniors who lost half or their retirement? This is nothing to boast about.

March 26, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |