March 28th, 2009

Geithner leads by example ... in coach

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner says he never rides first class.
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner says he never rides first class.

(CNN) - As the government tries to curb corporate excess of companies receiving federal bailout money, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner appears to be leading by example.

The man who was grilled by Congress last week over the AIG bonuses took the Delta shuttle from New York to Washington on Saturday, riding in the coach section. Asked why not first class, Geithner said he always rides coach, "never first class".

Filed under: Popular Posts • Timothy Geithner
  1. Brian - Seattle

A few weeks ago I noticed David Axlerod was also in coach on my flight to Chicago.

It was nice to see.

March 28, 2009 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  2. Robert Pierce

of course.
    for a shuttle flight from anywhere to anywhere
    no one in government should anywhere but
    in coach. THOSE FLIGHTS AREN'TLONG ENOUGH TO BECOME CRAMPED.

March 28, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  3. DaveP

Check the government travel regs, only coach is authorized. He was following the rules.

March 28, 2009 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  4. Kevin Wiley

Mr. Geithner has been categorized and grilled by many a holier than thou poliician in the past several months.

He has done nothing except try to solve the most complex set of financial events ever presented to a man in his position. He has handled severe criticism and ridicule by the media and congressioal members who would not even begin to know how to sit in his chair.

A career public servant who deserves our utmost respect has again shown why he his a top flight individual and leader flying like the rest of us. God bless this good man.

March 28, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  5. Gary

i don't trust giethner, didn't pay his taxes, wasted money given to AIG to bail out derivative gamblers and hedge fund managers that made millions. I think he needs to resign.

March 28, 2009 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  6. American who wants to stay free!

I am not sure if you will post this message since I will not be praising Obama like most of your bloggers, but here goes. I can not believe so many are so blinded and cannot see how Obama, Geithner, Pelosi, Reid, etc., want to take over power of Americans and mount debt that will go on for generations and generations. They are not upholding their oath to the Constitution, actually they are unlawfully going against what our Forefathers fought for! They are on a spending frenzy and oh my goodness, Tim Geithner.... does not even know what's taxable and he is the Secretary of Treasury??? We have ignorant people in our White House! I don't want our country to become a socialist country, but with this administration, it very well could. The President, Congressman, Senators are there to work for the people, not dictate and take control!!! People wake up and see what is really going on.

March 28, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  7. christine case

This man is great if the media would just let him do his work. Just like most Americans, the media thinks this mess can be cleaned up in a couple weeks. They never questioned Bush and his cronies at any time on the obvious mistakes they were making. Where did real journalists go? Back to Mr. Geithner, If Obama has faith in him, so should the rest of us. People and the media, this is going to take time and alot of study to get it right, so let's give Mr. Geithner some support. I'm giving this administration 8 years to get things back in order because we put up with deregulation and the greed of the Repubs for a long, long 8 years with no questions asked.

March 28, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  8. Carla Fraser

Hmm. That's very interesting. I fly coach, too. In and of itself, that's not reason for a medal (well... maybe it is, on some airlines), but I am heartened knowing that someone actually mixes with us little people down here on the ground. I like hearing this.

March 28, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. jennifer Geddie

Maybe his example will start a welcome trend ! Geithner's actions are
    more powerful than a speech or a sermon. God bless that man !

March 28, 2009 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. Sud

This guy is nice. He had a bad start but gradually found his footing. We have the duty to give him time to deal with this mess left to him by the rethuglicans. All the best Mr. Geithner. We as a nation are behind you.

March 28, 2009 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  11. breezyvibe

That is excellent. I'm impressed. Now if we could just get our country back from the Global Elite we might start to HAVE a country again.

March 28, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  12. Otis

If he truly wanted to lead by example, he would have taken Amtrak....owned by Uncle Sam.

March 28, 2009 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  13. Emily

I like Tim Geithner. He seems like a very decent person, and I think he is working his tail off.

March 28, 2009 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  14. Kurt Johnson

If they don't support him for secretary for any other reason right now, for this one thing he still has my confidence. I wish the rest of Washington would catch his example.

March 28, 2009 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  15. cd

There are those of us who wil continue to support Mr. Geithner becaue we belive he is better than the alternative.

March 28, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  16. Jason

This is one of the most hopeful things I've read so far about the current administration. I hope he can give his boss the President some advice of fiscal stewardship as the President sure does love to spend our tax payer money.

March 28, 2009 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  17. Jason

i no longer understand the concept of national debt. It's money: paper and ink. If we owe a quadrillion dollars, just print a quadrillion dollars. that reduces the value? how? the value was already zero – it's just paper and ink. It screws up the exchange rate? Big deal. Maybe we should try to be more independent? Or perhaps the other countries could also just print up a quadrillion dollars each? What's the big deal?

Until our government decides to somehow make greed illegal, this is what we're going to have to keep doing. Our country has no direction – and as such money has become our direction, rather than our method of getting there. When the sought product of any reaction is just the catalyst, that's the result of a country with no imagination or curiosity. Give marijuana unconditional legalization, and that changes.

March 28, 2009 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  18. tony

Well thats great, now he should learn to pay his taxes like everyone else and pay alittle more attention to not wasting taxpayer money thru bailouts.

March 28, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  19. Michael in San Diego

I appreciate government official like Mr. Geitner. He is the real thing – no pretend. The country is lucky to have a public servant like Mr. Geitner.
    THANK YOU.
    Please continue leading us out of this republican left over mess.

March 28, 2009 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  20. Mariam Hussaini

That is very impressive. At least this guy is being honest and trying to do whatever he can to fix things. I mean this job isn't easy, and its definitely not easy because of the enormous mountain of obstacles put in front of him by the previous Bush Administration. I find it hilarious that some people blame the President and his staff for still being on campaign mode, I mean, isn't the President realistically always campaigning? Always trying to get his point across? I call that responsibility.

Had former President Bush been that way, and actually was literate, then we people wouldn't be making such comments. President Obama is extremely intelligent, and that is why he was elected. He is trying to get his point across by all means, and we should appreciate that instead of push it away. So what if he is building up more debt, its because of the faults and purposely made mistakes of other administrations (Bush Administration) that we must spend more to cover all that we are lacking. Remember your history people.

March 28, 2009 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  21. Amasa Smith

Brilliant man, Timothy Geithner!

March 28, 2009 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  22. tom

Wow, how nice of Mr. Lenin, I mean Mr. Geithner, to take coach for his little ride.

I am so tired of the attitude he presents in all of his opportunities to gain media attention. If the ideas he is presenting are not that of the new president, then why is he presenting them? He is, afterall, an agent for the President. Thank you, Comrade.

Anytime the government wants to move in and take over business is a moment when we, the voting public, need to begin questioning the motives of that government operative.

I just want to know where I am supposed to get my gray uniform to stand in line for my rations, as that is just a few steps away from where Mr. Geithner is pointing.

March 28, 2009 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  23. prosanto, Phoenix

I hope it is true and it would continue as long as you are paid from my dime. Go after the board of directors of US corporations. that are least useful in our society and most expensive.

March 28, 2009 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  24. Gerry

There are many people who are going to follow coach Geitner's lead and not report income sufficient to generate $34, 328.67 in taxes to the federal goverment. Good look, BO, collecting taxes when your cabinet professes to be above the law...defacto.

March 29, 2009 12:00 am at 12:00 am |