March 31st, 2009

Meghan McCain: Is Schock the GOP's Mr. Right?

In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.
In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At 27 years old, Illinois Republican Rep. Aaron Schock is the youngest member of Congress. He's also possessed of washboard abs and has, as of late, become a favorite target of celebrity gossip outlet TMZ. And the daughter of the last Republican presidential candidate thinks he might just be the answer to the GOP's troubles.

Related: TMZ focuses on Illinois Republican

"The first time I ever heard of Congressman Aaron Schock, I was hanging out with some friends during a girls' night in, and one of my friends yelled to me from the other room: 'Meghan, there's a congressman on TMZ,'" Meghan McCain writes Tuesday in her latest blog post for the Daily Beast. "To which I answered: 'Twenty bucks he's a Democrat.' Well, I was wrong."

"...At the end of the day, Congressman Schock is only three years older than me. Which means he can relay a message in ways my father never could," she says.

TMZ is owned by Time Warner, which is also the parent company of CNN.

McCain gives Schock high marks for reaching out to demographic groups that do not traditionally vote Republican, for his calls for greater ideological flexibility, and his decision to avoid negative campaign ads.

Related: Schock on flying with Obama

"As someone who has been personally attacked when I invited political discourse, I firmly believe that talking about our differences - instead of mudslinging - can only bring people closer to the Republican Party and force them to take a second look at their candidates," she writes, referring to recent public spats with conservative commentators Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter.

McCain says the "congressman-turned-TMZ-hottie" may be the cure for what ails the GOP: "If nothing else, in an Obama-crazed land, he is getting people's attention and putting another fresh face at the center of what it is too often perceived as an old-news, boring party."

Related: Schock voted 'hottest freshman' by HuffPost's readers

Filed under: Aaron Schock • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. lynn in NM

He's cute. He has washboard abs. Ah, but is he dishonest? That's the one quality a person needs to be a politician.

March 31, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. KJL

Who cares what Meghan McCain thinks? Her surname doesn't make her an expert on anything, and she hasn't been around long enough to have real insights.

March 31, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Eric

I can see Meghan is very interested in Schock's views on the issues. Oh wait, not a single one was raised outside of his abs and age.

March 31, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I think Meghan McCain is trying to hook up with the young congressman. She can care less about his political ambitions.

March 31, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. MARYANN ILLINOIS

Yes he is ...this is coming from a life long Democrat turned Independent during the 2008 political season...truly a fresh view of the NEW REPUBLICAN party

March 31, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Sniffit

I just threw up in my mouth.

March 31, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. Older but wiser

The worship of youth. Enough said.

March 31, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. grahame

Oh Great. I've got abbs vote for me I will make a great president. This is getting really stupid.
    George Bush. No brain but I'd like to have a beer with him.
    Sarah Palin. Also no brain but she looks good--(Stupid Moron)

And this is the image the Republicans wish to present?
    Well God Help them.

We need a president with brains NOT just looks.

Gimme a break

March 31, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. We truely Love Sarah

Action, Action!!

Democratic Party tries to help America.
    Republican Party still hasn't found its hotty yet, but continues to provide no answers for America's problems.

March 31, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. Drew

This is rediculous. No one should even considering listening to Meghan McCain. She hasn't been around long enough to even act like she knows whats going on.

March 31, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. Takeshi

Hey sex sells. political couple coming.

March 31, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Bafun

Well Sarah Palin sees Russia from her house and it makes her a foreign policies expert.
    Meghan's name is McCain... it makes her for sure an expert in politic.

March 31, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  13. Independent chicago man age 25

Ok and......he's from Peoria, IL doesn't say much. Yea he's 27 and around my age but keep in mind that the people who voted for him in Peoria's district are mainly college students. So for me he's just gonna be a yes man with a cute face for the GOP. Oh and for all those people saying Obamas a celebrity politican that mixs with hollywood, well guess thats now old news.

March 31, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  14. G. Love

How is this news????????

March 31, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Media celebrity

Of course it did work for Obama.

March 31, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  16. Fair is Fair

Hey Meghan McCain,

I voted for your dad, but you are an idiot.

The apple really DOES fall far away from the tree.

March 31, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. kst

Someone's in LOVE!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!

March 31, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  18. Some guy

Hey, he's a republican. He'll morph into a fat old angry rich white guy soon enough.

March 31, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Marge

They spelled his name wrong it's Slop.

March 31, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. Fredrick

Why doesn't Meghan McCain just come out of the closet and admit that she's a Democrat?

March 31, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. Kurt C.

TMZ is probably trying to smear him. This has become a known tactic of Democrats and it's getting to be ridiculously prevalent among all the liberal media outlets.

March 31, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. Unshrub

Isn't he the 15th person the republicans say who will be the 'one.'

March 31, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. Mel

He's cute. He's the devil with an angels face. So what.

March 31, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. Fredi

wow – looks like some of you guys don't just hate all democrats, you simply hate everybody.

March 31, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. kevin

I don't think washboard abs are the answer to the GOP's problems.

March 31, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |