March 31st, 2009

Meghan McCain: Is Schock the GOP's Mr. Right?

In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.
In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At 27 years old, Illinois Republican Rep. Aaron Schock is the youngest member of Congress. He's also possessed of washboard abs and has, as of late, become a favorite target of celebrity gossip outlet TMZ. And the daughter of the last Republican presidential candidate thinks he might just be the answer to the GOP's troubles.

Related: TMZ focuses on Illinois Republican

"The first time I ever heard of Congressman Aaron Schock, I was hanging out with some friends during a girls' night in, and one of my friends yelled to me from the other room: 'Meghan, there's a congressman on TMZ,'" Meghan McCain writes Tuesday in her latest blog post for the Daily Beast. "To which I answered: 'Twenty bucks he's a Democrat.' Well, I was wrong."

"...At the end of the day, Congressman Schock is only three years older than me. Which means he can relay a message in ways my father never could," she says.

TMZ is owned by Time Warner, which is also the parent company of CNN.

McCain gives Schock high marks for reaching out to demographic groups that do not traditionally vote Republican, for his calls for greater ideological flexibility, and his decision to avoid negative campaign ads.

Related: Schock on flying with Obama

"As someone who has been personally attacked when I invited political discourse, I firmly believe that talking about our differences - instead of mudslinging - can only bring people closer to the Republican Party and force them to take a second look at their candidates," she writes, referring to recent public spats with conservative commentators Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter.

McCain says the "congressman-turned-TMZ-hottie" may be the cure for what ails the GOP: "If nothing else, in an Obama-crazed land, he is getting people's attention and putting another fresh face at the center of what it is too often perceived as an old-news, boring party."

Related: Schock voted 'hottest freshman' by HuffPost's readers

Filed under: Aaron Schock • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Politician

Yup, he's a politician, which means he's a crook anyway. I used to think it was just republicans (Bush Cheney) until tax cheat after tax cheat and Barney Frank-types were exposed over and over again.
    At least republicans get rid of their dishonest politicians. Barney and Chris will be around for a while. Pelosi isn't dishonest, she's the devil.

March 31, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Central FL

Are you serious? Sorry, but it is going to take a lot more than washboard abs or a pretty bikini before I consider the GOP again. I have had enough of the political gimmicks.

The Republican Party would have to show new ideas and a willingness to work with their Democratic colleagues. So far, Congressman Schock has fallen in-line with his GOP resistance.

March 31, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Peter E

Sorry, but I don't think sex appeal is a qualification that makes one a good politician.

March 31, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. Jerry

Stupid, stupid stupid republicans.

It doesn't matter AT ALL whether the guy is good looking or as ugly as Bobby Jindal.

If he doesn't have great policy ideas and he's not really, really smart, he's not gonna get elected.

It's that simple.

Sure, Obama's good looks helped him, but had he not had a vision that inspired us all to be better Americans and to work together to fix our country, he wouldn't be President. Instead we'd have President McCain, we'd be at war with Iran, gas would cost $150/gallon and the economy would be continuing along the tailspin path set by Bush.

Oh, and Meghan McCain would be SLIGHTLY less irrelevant.

March 31, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Seriously

with that picture of Aaron Schock, I smell a scandal coming really soon for the congressman...

March 31, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. joe smith

has he taken any pac money, where does he come down on Israel; and has he got an agenda for our health care woes/oil dependance..

March 31, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. Glennis

Schock – yes! Meghan McCain – Bleccchhh!

March 31, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. a f r

Oh come on. Lay off Meghan McCain. I am a die-hard Obama suppoter, but I think she's cool. She doesn't slam people, she is working on critical thinking–young as she is, on evolution of her party (centrism?), and on commonality rather than divisiveness. Youth isn't a crime. She doesn't pretend to be more well-versed in politics than she is.

I sometimes look at the online newspaper from the town I grew up in. The comments I see are largely snarly, truly nasty anti-liberal comments. I hate to see some of the liberals here doing the same slamming (as well as some of the conservatives). It's childish and unintelligent, throwaway nastiness that serves no one.

We can do better.

March 31, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. Johnny from VA

That explains more about Meghan McCain and the younger generation.... don't worry, many of them will grow out of it. But, I can see why Obama focused so much on them. Ha ha. Too bad they outgrow it or he could be locked in for years and years.

March 31, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  10. wow

use sex appeal....so is this how we choose our next political star now? The handsome on in the whitehouse used his brain first..that's what's attrractive......all other things are secondary.

March 31, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  11. Drosen

They're both VERY smart and just because they took advantage of their situations – both Ms. McCain and Mr. Schcock will have a chance to go far.

The GOP lined up behind GWB, they will go to war for these 2 if packaged right.

I wouldn't underetimate either – and abs count – speaking from a kegger like myself in sales. Gotta go to gym. :)

March 31, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. Keith in Austin

Anyone with a speck of fiscal responsibility is better than the tax and spend liberal socialism in power now!

March 31, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. Baze

I'm sorry, Meghan McCain is not a Republican. It's only her background of old money and familial party affiliation that relates her to the Republican party, but that's as far as it goes.

March 31, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. Mike, FL

The Party of NO is turninig into a joke! I think we the tax payers need to demand that the Republican congress return thier salary to taxpayers since they do nothing besides echoing Limbaugh's nonsense!

March 31, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. Patrick Murphy

This is the same Aaron Schock who once suggested we sell nuclear weapons to Taiwan as a deterent to China.

I say go for it GOP.

March 31, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. John

It seems that GOP is spending a lot of energy trying to find a way to fix itself. The question is why should we care about a broken party trying to fix itself when we have a much bigger job at hand – fix our country that GOP has left in ruins. Does it not occur to GOP that it's not all about the image, but that it actually has something to do with their failed ideology? And ideology is what defines a political party, so it's not like they can change it turn things around.
    A party that is more concerned about its own success rather than success of the country – doesn't sound like a keeper to me.

March 31, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. karen-Phoenix

Does he believe in the working class in America??? Does he believe in National Health Care, Wind, Solar(no BIG OIL payoffs) and does he believe in excellent PUBLIC education????? As a FORMER republican who voted for President Obama, these are the most important issues!!!! Will not go back until the GOP cares about middle class America!

March 31, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. me

He's attractive in the bland, American acceptable way. He is also a republican, so he is most likely a raving idiot. Good.

Repubs better stop looking for someone to carry their message and start looking for people who have a message.

March 31, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Wha me worry?

At least the GOP can say in their death throes, they looked awesome . . .

March 31, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. Dave From Philly

I am for anyone who is willing to work for the average american. If his policies and agenda is good for all americans, then I am willing to listen. If he is the typical "let's cut taxes on the rich" republican, then I can careless.

March 31, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  21. JJ

Kennedy v Nixon- Kennedy not only more confident, he looked better too.
    If you can get people to show up to the rallies with a little eye candy- what the harm? Besides, even business go fo healthier, more vital spokespeople to get their point across.

March 31, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. K

Why do twenty-somethings think their un-informed opinions are the only ones that matter? I only wish I knew at 25 what I know at 47! Get a grip Meghan...your mouth appears to have forgotten to consult with your brain prior to speaking in recent weeks! When your 40 or 50, I hope you realize how relevent us middle-ager's and seniors really are!

Some guy: Rich angry white man or poor angry black man??? I know my choice! I bet you do too!

March 31, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. Mari

That's nice that the GOP has some 'fresh' blood. They need all the help they can get.

Problem is not getting new people in their party.

The problem with the GOP, is that they continue to be the party of obstruction. And hate, all you have to do is listen to the rants of Rep. Michelle Bachman (MN), who is calling for an "armed revolution". Or listen to Limbaugh the comedian spew his lies, fear and division.

The GOP does not get that America rejected their vile politics. The politics that have ..........divided our Nation. The politics that had Palin calling some of us "real Americans" and questioning other's patriotism!

America is sick and tired of the vitriolic, divisive, hateful politics that seem to be the norm of the GOP!

March 31, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. Jonathan

Wow!
    What a great idea!
    Lets let all the teeny boppers be responsible for who gets elected!
    We can make it a reality show. With Simon and Paula, and Ryan Seacrest!
    The audience can call in their votes on who is the cutest (since that is REALLY what matter in government), and we can get NKOTB and the Backstreet boys to sing.

March 31, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. Mari

@ Kevin in Ohio......... you say that the "dems elected a know nothing...."

Well what would you call Bush??? A genius?

March 31, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |