March 31st, 2009

Meghan McCain: Is Schock the GOP's Mr. Right?

In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.
In a new blog post, Meghan McCain discusses Rep. Aaron Schock.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - At 27 years old, Illinois Republican Rep. Aaron Schock is the youngest member of Congress. He's also possessed of washboard abs and has, as of late, become a favorite target of celebrity gossip outlet TMZ. And the daughter of the last Republican presidential candidate thinks he might just be the answer to the GOP's troubles.

Related: TMZ focuses on Illinois Republican

"The first time I ever heard of Congressman Aaron Schock, I was hanging out with some friends during a girls' night in, and one of my friends yelled to me from the other room: 'Meghan, there's a congressman on TMZ,'" Meghan McCain writes Tuesday in her latest blog post for the Daily Beast. "To which I answered: 'Twenty bucks he's a Democrat.' Well, I was wrong."

"...At the end of the day, Congressman Schock is only three years older than me. Which means he can relay a message in ways my father never could," she says.

TMZ is owned by Time Warner, which is also the parent company of CNN.

McCain gives Schock high marks for reaching out to demographic groups that do not traditionally vote Republican, for his calls for greater ideological flexibility, and his decision to avoid negative campaign ads.

Related: Schock on flying with Obama

"As someone who has been personally attacked when I invited political discourse, I firmly believe that talking about our differences - instead of mudslinging - can only bring people closer to the Republican Party and force them to take a second look at their candidates," she writes, referring to recent public spats with conservative commentators Laura Ingraham and Ann Coulter.

McCain says the "congressman-turned-TMZ-hottie" may be the cure for what ails the GOP: "If nothing else, in an Obama-crazed land, he is getting people's attention and putting another fresh face at the center of what it is too often perceived as an old-news, boring party."

Related: Schock voted 'hottest freshman' by HuffPost's readers

Filed under: Aaron Schock • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Butch Dillon

Wasn't the sex appeal approach quickly dispatched as a losing strategy when McCain drafted Palin? What makes them think a change of plumbing alters that reality?

March 31, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Mike

Is this a joke?

March 31, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. annie - Palin 2012

So she finally found a date – she's a bigger joke than her father who threw the election.

March 31, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. t in b

All I can say is thank God an adult is finally running this country.

March 31, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Dean

People – he has 8 years to go before he can run for President. Do any of you know what that actual requirements are? Hint: one must be at least 35 years old. This is just entertainment reporting, not news...

March 31, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  6. Waiting for the postpartisan era

Imagine how the comments would change if he were a Democrat.
    Scary.

March 31, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Bob

I am a confirmed Democrat that voted for Obama and would again. But, I also believe in a strong two party system of government. The problem with the GOP is that the old guard remains in control. Their conviction is that their "package" is the right one for the country and they need to educate the country. Young folks like this fellow and McCain realize that the party has to change to survive. To do this, the GOP has to listen to the groups that do not historically vote for it and then fashion their ideas and actions to what these groups want. Otherwise, the Republicans will continue to lose elections and the Democrats will remain (and grow) in control of the Congress and the Presidency.

March 31, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Unemployed

I am Schocked that Meagan would stoop so low as to praise vanity over substance. Meagan has lost all my respect. Are we going to select our public officials based on looks alone now? What a disgrace.

March 31, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. Moderate Democrat

Hey, I gotta say kudo's to his fitness.

But if he's like all of the rest of the 'do nothing for the people. Let's make the rich richer and the poor poorer. Let's lower taxes for rich people and kill our children in foreign lands. America is a bunch of whiners, the economy is fine. I will allow us to get attacked on our home soil. I like to torture people and I don't think our citizens have a right to privacy. I want smaller government, but I want to work for the government" GOP...then he's giving physically fit guys around the country a very bad stereotype: All brawn, no brain.

March 31, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  10. S Callahan

Say it again Bob....

Two , or more parties, are a necessity in this country...losing sight of that is losing sight of your freedoms and ideologies...that would be a burial.

March 31, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. John, Brooklyn, New York

Hmmm.....if given the oppotunity to choose between a Chippendate and someone like hmmm....Barbara Jordan or Bella Abzug (neither were known as being traffic stoppers)....I'd choose the substantive, yet ugly, folks.

March 31, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  12. Sniffit

And in between sips of his frooty poolside drink and having the large-breasted woman he paid to be in the photo op rub oil on his back, he leaned over to an unnaturally orange John Boehner and suggested we sell nukes to Taiwan to mess with China. "Brilliant!" said Boehner, then wrote himself a note to drown the poor fool in the hot tub later before he got the GOP in even more trouble than it already is in.

March 31, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  13. Dave in Illinois

Meghan "Airhead" McCain again? There's probably a million other people who's insights would show more intelligence than hers. She's just publicly trolling for a date with this one.

March 31, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. s

More fluff and buff from the party of diminishing returns.

March 31, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  15. Stay Connected To The People

Democrats .... don't get cocky or complacent.

Right now, the GOP is lost in the wilderness devoid of ideas, intellect, charisma and leadership. It is where it is because they are disconnected from everyday common sense thinking. They are TOO MUCH Spin.

Dems, if you commit towards working to being more in-tuned with American public than the Republicans you can forever exhile them to political irrelevancy.

Don't give the upper hand away.

March 31, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  16. John in Fl.

Hahahaha. That's the best they've got? Washboard abs? What a joke that party has become to most of America.

March 31, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  17. Lisa in NC

Is this a joke?

March 31, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. shucks

Palin was considered to be very attractive. It really did nothing for her politically once she opened her mouth. I'd have to hear what he stands for first, and if he feels it is OK to manipulate the constitution to deny rights of American citizens. A pretty cover doesn't guarantee the contents are relevant.

March 31, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  19. Independent

He is certainly nice to look at....but voting for him is something different

March 31, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  20. Brian Goodkind

Megan, correct grammar would be "he is only 3 years old than I" not "me". If you are going to blog and hold yourself out to the public as someone in the "know" you really should consider using proper grammar.

March 31, 2009 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Jackson Hol

Hmmmm, good looking but dumb as a rock? He fits the empty suit of Republican standard bearers. Keep the dimwits flowing, RNC!

March 31, 2009 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  22. MJM

Good lands, I hope not!! I'm republican and I just want to say, he needs a lot more experience to run for anything. He probably still takes his dirty clothes home for momma to wash!

March 31, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Greg

Aaron Schocks rockstar abbs are just what Ive been waiting for in my politicians... I love CNN, but seriously who cares about Mehgans latest crush?

Id rather hear about the girl standing behind him in the picture... she looks like the kind of gal whos busting with political greatness.

March 31, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  24. Bubba

As that Great American Rube Goldberg used to say, "They all look good when they're far away."

March 31, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  25. Slowgun

@Liberals are retarded March 31st, 2009 12:46 pm ET

Looks are what got NObama elected. No reason it shouldn't be a 2 way street.

And by the way, Meghan McCain is a bigger HACK than her father. She is NOT A REPUBLICAN, she is a tool that the lib media uses to try to make the republican party look bad. She's an idiot.

Really !so it's the media that has been making the republican party look bad? Funny, I though it was their performance over the last 8 years and their choice to have McCain and Palin as their nominees.

You're right though, she can't be a real republican, because the party doesn't allow for any diversity. Your either agree with what Rush say...or you're not a real republican.

March 31, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |