March 31st, 2009

President Bush to throw first pitch

(CNN) – Former President George W. Bush will throw out the ceremonial first pitch next week at the Texas Rangers' home opener against the Cleveland Indians.

The event marks the fourth time a president has thrown the first pitch of the Rangers' season, and marks Bush's second time on a Major League pitching mound. Former President Gerald Ford threw out the first pitch in 1976, George H. W. Bush did the honors in 1991, and George W. Bush followed his father's lead in 2000.

The Rangers hold a special place in the former president's heart: he was managing general partner of the Texas baseball team from 1989-1994, prior to his election as state governor.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. Shirley in California

I'm not going to make a nasty comment because it doesn't help the situation and he did do a few good things. No one is completely ALL bad. However, we have a new president now and I want to move forward but I will never forget the death toll of so many lives American and abroad. Having said that-I was starting to admire the way he was keeping a low profile and staying out of the spotlight. He just ruined that. I do hope before he leaves this world-he will offer some kind of an apology to the American people. Although I don't expect that to happen because that would be an admission of guilt. Until then-I will just not look upon him.

March 31, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Sammy

Well Bush was a very bad president but I must give him credit for keeping a very low profile and not bad mouthing the current administration like his VP is doing.

March 31, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. ron

Shouldn't the current President throw out the first pitch or is bush still considered the POTUS in texas?

March 31, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  4. b r o o k e

Whatever.

March 31, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Paris

A great man.

March 31, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. Tasha

I think its nice how a former president gets to throw a pitch at a game. Not only is it history for a president to it, but they pick a former president. Bush is and will forever be know as a bad president. But having saying that I glad to see him doing well when the whole nation is shot to hell and he acts like this is not even affect him, its like he does not even care about what he did when he was in the white house.

March 31, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. kayla

i hope he can throw better than the iraqi who threw a show at him.lol

March 31, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Molly Weasley

I think that's a proper way to spend retirement - writing books, throwing out first pitches, etc., etc. There's a lot of good he could do.

Dick Cheney should take note and keep his mouth shut.

March 31, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Chris Parker

Pretty sure this is will not be his second time on a pitching mound. He threw in 2000 and in the 2001 World Series. He even had body armor on under his jacket.

March 31, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Jim Hahn

At least he may be able to get this right.

March 31, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |