April 1st, 2009

Stevens 'grateful' for dismissal of charges

Shortly after the announcement, Stevens expressed gratitude for the prosecutors' decision.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A federal judge Wednesday scheduled a hearing on a request by prosecutors to dismiss the indictment against former U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens, who was convicted of corruption in October.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan set the hearing for April 7.

"I am grateful that the new team of responsible prosecutors at the Department of Justice has acknowledged that I did not receive a fair trial, and has dismissed all the charges against me," he said in a written statement.

"I am also grateful that Judge Emmet G. Sullivan made rulings that facilitated the exposure of the government's misconduct during the last two years. I always knew that there would be a day when the cloud that surrounded me would be removed. That day has finally come.

"It is unfortunate that an election was affected by proceedings now recognized as unfair. It was my great honor to serve the State of Alaska in the United States Senate for 40 years.

"I thank my wife Catherine, as well as my family, friends, and colleagues in the United States Senate who stood by me during this difficult period. I also want to thank the great number of Alaskans who offered their prayers and support."

Stevens, a Republican, lost his bid in November for a seventh full Senate term after losing to Democrat Mark Begich, the Anchorage mayor. Stevens was appointed to the Senate on December 24, 1968, when his state was less than 10 years old.

Filed under: Ted Stevens
  1. Darkness

I think that DOJ under Bush may have done this on purpose.

April 1, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  2. Brad

Slider, you do realize that Ted Stevens was a republican; right?

April 1, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  3. Dan

CORRUPTION!! You might as well let Bernie Madoff go, and let Ted Stevens run for President!

What a world we live in!...

April 1, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Zach K

What is wrong with our Judicial System? More importantly, what is up with Alaska and it's GOP Politicans?

I am VERY disapointed. I don't care if its an age issue, but Ted Stevens IS Guilty.

April 1, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. doug, fairbanks, alaska

another shining example of the criminal having more legal protection and due process rights than the victims..in this case, the victims have been US citizens

April 1, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. marty

To those of you who are convinced of the guilt of Sen. Stevens, do any of you know one shred of evidence(you remember evidence, the stuff that shows guilt or innocence) or is this just another exercise in partisan gobbledygook? The DOJ decided that the evidence was not in favor of a guilty verdict-YOUR DEMOCRATIC DOJ-so grow up and accept that he may have been innocent all along. I know its hard, he isn't Kennedy or Clinton or Obama, but he might be innocent anyway. After all, aren't those men as pure as the driven snow?

April 1, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. Anita

I guess this is an example of why the media shouldn't rush to judgment....

Now they all have egg on their face!

April 1, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  8. Gene

I love hearing people say he should've been locked up and thrown away the key.. and things of that nature.

Common guys.. the guy was prosecuted for "corruption" for accepting bribes and gifts.. it's not like he went out on a homicidal rampage lol.

Let the person who's never accepted a bribe or gift cast the first stone :)

April 1, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  9. Vegas Barbie the Paralegal for Obama

Hate to see him exonerated via dismissal of charges, but now maybe Alaska could get to bringing down their Governor, aka "bigot in chief" before she gets that state into more trouble by refusing funds and refusing to protect wild animals with her gun happy agenda and slack-jaw lingo meant to make her one of the "joes" (aka "Joe Six Pack", "Joe the Plumber" and "Joe the Wolf Killer).

April 1, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |