April 2nd, 2009

Obama gives Queen an iPod

(CNN) - What's the proper gift to present Queen Elizabeth II with at Buckingham Palace?

A video iPod, apparently.

According to a White House aide, President Obama Tuesday night presented the Queen with the popular Apple device - reportedly complete with songs and video footage of the her 2007 trip to the United States.

UPDATE: The White House revealed the songs on the iPod were all from the two-disc CD, 'Ultimate Broadway.' (Full song list after the jump)

The gift will be at least the Queen's second iPod: in 2006 she purchased an iPod mini.

Obama also gave the Queen a rare musical songbook by Richard Rodgers.

As for the Queen, she reportedly gave the Obamas a signed photograph of her and her husband, Prince Phillip, in a sliver frame, her standard gift to foreign dignitaries.

Full iPod song list after the jump

Oklahoma! / Alfred Drake 2:32

If I Loved You / Jan Clayton From Carousel 4:23

You'll Never Walk Alone / Jan Clayton From Carousel 2:42

There's No Business Like Show Business / Ethel Merman From Annie Get Your Gun 3:11

Once in Love with Amy (Where's Charley?) / Ray Bolger 4:23

Some Enchanted Evening / Ezio Pinza South Pacific 3:03

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend / Carol Channing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 2:59

Getting to Know You / Gertrude Lawrence From The King and I 3:30

I Dreamed a Dream / Aretha Franklin Les Misérables 4:23

The Music of the Night / Michael Crawford From The Phantom of the Opera 5:50

As If We Never Said Goodbye / Elaine Paige Sunset Blvd. 5:24

Seasons of Love Rent 2:52

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Great gift for the Queen and smart of our President and First Lady to know the Queen is ipod savvy.

April 1, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. Sara

The Obama's gave the Queen a rare autograped song book - something the Queen probably likes very much! And the Obama's also brought the Queen a momento, a video of the Queen's visit to the USA in 2007. I think Both the things the Obama's gave the Queen are great gifts! The Queen received something rare, and probably priceless, and she also received a momento that reminds her of her visit to the USA in 2007.

April 1, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Carl

Better or worse than the 25 DVDs he gave the PM that aren't even coded properly for european DVD players?

April 1, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. FAYE, NV

An ipod is the idea gift.

April 1, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. John

Is this a joke? An iPod? You have got to be kidding me after that DVD snub with the Prime Minister. It is April Fool's...

April 1, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. Bob from Pittsburgh

Is the old crow still alive?

April 1, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I just hope that there isn't copyrighted material on that pod...

April 1, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Brian

Please tell me this an April fools joke.

April 1, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. Expat American

I hope that he didn't pay for that ipod with my personal tax dollars! There's a half price sale on monster truck tires this weekend at Wal-Mart!

No really. I wouldn’t care if he did.

I read that the Queen is a fellow Gooner...Go Arsenal!

Palin Supporter Translation: Arsenal is a football club (soccer team); sorry, nothing to do with guns or religion.

April 1, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. Flex

Neat!

April 1, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. NYC gal

That's my president!!

April 1, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Jackie in Dallas

Now that is actually a very nice gift, showing some signs of finding out what the Queen likes, plus being an American product!

April 1, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  13. sensi johnson

God Bless President Obama, The Queen, and the United States of America. Amen!

April 1, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  14. Jamie from Philly

The queen comes off looking pretty cheap in this exchange.

April 1, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. EOD

Having worked with the Brits before I think that this gift is representative of the Obama administration's sincere lack of protocol. First unusable DVD's to their Prime Minister and now a stupid IPOD to their Queen. I hate to see what he gives China and Russia's presidents for gifts when he goes there. Perhaps another round of "reset button"?

April 1, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Nova

An iPod? Has no one sat these two down and talked to them about protocol? Really between the DVD gaffe, the model of air force one, and now an iPod someone really needs to do that. I'll bet they were behind the "reset" button as well. Extremely poor taste.

April 1, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. matt

Another international gaffe. Guess I really better get used to these, they happen a lot now.

April 1, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. Laura

I thought I was going to get "Rick-rolled" by that video, but I guess it's real. Well, that's nice of Obama to give a sentimental gift, but I still thought this was an April Fool.

April 1, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. John

Much better than the DVD set Obama gave to the prime minister. :)

April 1, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Danny

Thoughtful, inexpensive, and original. I love the First Couple.

April 1, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. Mari

@ Matt.......... do explain how this is an international gaffe? I will check back for your answer..........

April 1, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. In Houston, TX

I HAVE AND IDEA!!!
    Somebody should get the Obama's a professional shopper or a professional gift buyer. Because apparently nobody in the Whitehouse know WHAT to give these people

April 1, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Brian Crooks

Did any of you guys actually read the article? She bought an iPod mini in 2006 and he upgraded her mini and gave her a Video iPod. Plus, the rare songbook by Richard Rodgers. Grow up.

April 1, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Matt in MN

Very curious if this iPod came from the US, or from Europe.

Given the different outlet types, it makes a difference in regards to charging and syncing.

April 1, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. Pepou

The Queen has everything so this is a fun gift. What is important, I remind you, is the outcome of the G20 ...

April 1, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |