April 2nd, 2009

Obama gives Queen an iPod

(CNN) - What's the proper gift to present Queen Elizabeth II with at Buckingham Palace?

A video iPod, apparently.

According to a White House aide, President Obama Tuesday night presented the Queen with the popular Apple device - reportedly complete with songs and video footage of the her 2007 trip to the United States.

UPDATE: The White House revealed the songs on the iPod were all from the two-disc CD, 'Ultimate Broadway.' (Full song list after the jump)

The gift will be at least the Queen's second iPod: in 2006 she purchased an iPod mini.

Obama also gave the Queen a rare musical songbook by Richard Rodgers.

As for the Queen, she reportedly gave the Obamas a signed photograph of her and her husband, Prince Phillip, in a sliver frame, her standard gift to foreign dignitaries.

Full iPod song list after the jump

Oklahoma! / Alfred Drake 2:32

If I Loved You / Jan Clayton From Carousel 4:23

You'll Never Walk Alone / Jan Clayton From Carousel 2:42

There's No Business Like Show Business / Ethel Merman From Annie Get Your Gun 3:11

Once in Love with Amy (Where's Charley?) / Ray Bolger 4:23

Some Enchanted Evening / Ezio Pinza South Pacific 3:03

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend / Carol Channing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 2:59

Getting to Know You / Gertrude Lawrence From The King and I 3:30

I Dreamed a Dream / Aretha Franklin Les Misérables 4:23

The Music of the Night / Michael Crawford From The Phantom of the Opera 5:50

As If We Never Said Goodbye / Elaine Paige Sunset Blvd. 5:24

Seasons of Love Rent 2:52

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Kim

What a bunch of snobs. Why is an iPod tacky? Look what she gave them "an autographed picture of herself and her husband?" Now how can you use that?

April 1, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. MD

To those of you who are saying this was a gaffe, could you please tell me what the appropriate gift would have been? I don't get it.

April 1, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Gary

To Merkel Obama is going to give a region 1 dvd set including Schindler's List, The Producers, Stalingrad, The Last 10 Days of Hitler, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Dirty Dozen, and Das Boot.

April 1, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Diana

What do you give as a gift to a person that everything she could possibly ever want and need?

April 1, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Annette

Why as Americas are we concerned about what Michelle Obama is wearing, does that make her a better first lady how much her clothes cost, they are women and children starving in the America, the homeless rate is rising and we are happy that she has good fashion sense they are more important things going on in this country than what she is wearing, and if her and husband is so concerned about the legal people in this United States she should take some of their money her and help theses people. What about our school system or that is right her children are in no danger of getting an education. We should not care about what she is wearing or what music that they like to listen too, we pay their salary and that take and take why they should live so much better than the people who are working their butts to make it in this world today cut his pay and benefits and see how he likes it.

April 1, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Not again

Although we have more serious economic problems right now and the President is having to deal with a lot, I still think whoever is in charge of these things needs to do a better job. Seriously, an iPod? What's next Guitar Hero for the King of Spain?

Well, at least they didn't give her a Wii!

April 1, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  7. Ami

The ipod is an excellent idea ,Barack and Michelle Obama r the best get use to it .

April 1, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Marsilius

Anyone who thinks this was a gaffe doesn't know much about the Queen. She loves IPod and I'm sure this newer version is much appreciated. I think it was thoughtful and personal to have loaded it with goodies from her trip to the U.S.

April 1, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. sn

Maybe the Queen enjoyed recieving the Ipod? and really isn' it the thought and kindness that is the important factor here.

April 1, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. Bob

Well, really, I think its a silly tradition and the queen has it right – keep it simple. Having been involved in government things I bet that well over 100 hours of staff time were involved in the selection and purchase of the gifts for the queen. It would not suprise me if it was more than 1000 hours (security check, research, contacting the queens staff to ensure that it was reasonible, getting the funding approved, etc...). All of this time and effort could be spent on more productive things.

April 1, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  11. I love Barry and Shelly!

What no reset button?

Funny how that story got buried, kind of like CNN and the rest of the cabal burying the latest Obama cabinrt member doing the mea-culpa on NOT paying taxes like us regular folk.

It is ironic though, that Barry is giving crappy gifts to England's Queen, while we left their Country because we were overtaxed , unless your an Obama appointee though.

To make sure this gets posted............. I love Michelle, she is the "bestest ever", and Barry is the best speaker with a teleprompter ever and he is great and the kids are great and the world LOVES US AGAIN.

I have my fingers crossed to finally be posted and not censored.

Obama 2012 and 2016, bahhhh, bahhh.

April 1, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  12. BAKE

Very nice gift, I see nothing wrong with it. There you go again critsizing. Ok folks what would you have given? And don't you think the president did some research prior to arriving. Our president and first lady are not idiots!

April 1, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. seriously

I agree with Jackie. It is a nice gift. ...complete with footage of her visit to the US.

It seems as if some contributors to this blog are a teeny bit 'jealous' of the Obamas (lol)

President O... and Michelle...continue to represent us with dignity, poise and Intellegence....it is about time we had some decent representation !!

April 1, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Mississippi Man

I would rather have the Ipod

April 1, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  15. VAisforLovers

Why are people bashing Obama for giving her an upgrade to a device that she already had? Complete with personalized video of her, AND a rare musical songbook by Richard Rodgers. What’s wrong with that? She already had one, the one he gave her is better…

People want to nag over nothing. That is just pathetic.

April 1, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. Candice

Love the gift idea! Although a signed picture of the Queen is a "Nice" gift I feel President Obama wanted to give them something American Made! One thing America can be proud of is how successful Apple has become! Apple ROCKS!! It's time to get with the New Age Era!

April 1, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Kathy R

I think the gifts he gave are nice and showed that he put thought into them. Complainers, get over yourselves! Honestly, some people just read too too much into everything. Why would the Queen not like an iPod (represents American innovation) and the Richard Rogers songbook? Some of you desperately search to criticize everything Obama does. I guess you people don’t read the paper and are unaware that (according to the latest polls) a vast majority of Americans are quite happy to have Obama as President.

April 1, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  18. john

Real original, but I guess it's better than the DVDs he bought the prime minister that won't play on British players since they were the wrong region code.

April 1, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. jh

He did a lot of "research" just like Clinton did when she visited the shrine of Guadelupe and asked who painted it........nice research....

April 1, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Laura, Boston MA

Maybe President Obama should learn from the Queen..after all she's been in the ruling business for many years now.

A silver frame is very tasteful and elegant. Why not give the queen a picture of the Obama family in a silver frame. It would be a nice gift and you don't have to worry about the difference in electrical currency.

April 1, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. Lilarose, Bandon, Oregon

I am sure that the Queen's handlers gave the Obamas some ideas on what to give her.

Queen Elizabeth is very tech savvy. She has her on UTube video website.

As a young girl she was on British radio supporting the troops during WWII.

Queen Elizabeth worked as a car mechanic during WWII to help the war effort and give to her country.

Plus she has alot of tech savvy kids and grandkids! One of her sons and his wife are business people in England, not just running around looking regal.

April 1, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. California Gold

American iPod is, indeed, fit for a Queen.

April 1, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Lauren

Thank you for showingn us this video, I loved every minute of it. President Obama and Mrs. Obama continue to represent the US with grace and dignity.

April 1, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Dave in Illinois

I'm sure the iPod will wind up in the royal equivalent of that box in the closet where you keep the gifts you got from relatives that you can't exchange or give away except as gag gifts to other relatives.

April 1, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  25. Trin

Well, although it's a "cool" gift and one that nobody *I* know personally would turn down – I don't think it would have been *my* first choice as a foreign leader's gift to The Queen. It just doesn't seem......proper. And yes there are more important things to be talking about blah blah – but this article's been written on what Obama gave to The Queen and so that's what I'm commenting on!

I think that I persoanlly would have tried to find something antique-ish that was steeped in history, or art, or something a bit more......um.......fitting? I wouldn't buy my grandmother an Ipod......

April 1, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |