April 2nd, 2009

Obama gives Queen an iPod

(CNN) - What's the proper gift to present Queen Elizabeth II with at Buckingham Palace?

A video iPod, apparently.

According to a White House aide, President Obama Tuesday night presented the Queen with the popular Apple device - reportedly complete with songs and video footage of the her 2007 trip to the United States.

UPDATE: The White House revealed the songs on the iPod were all from the two-disc CD, 'Ultimate Broadway.' (Full song list after the jump)

The gift will be at least the Queen's second iPod: in 2006 she purchased an iPod mini.

Obama also gave the Queen a rare musical songbook by Richard Rodgers.

As for the Queen, she reportedly gave the Obamas a signed photograph of her and her husband, Prince Phillip, in a sliver frame, her standard gift to foreign dignitaries.

Full iPod song list after the jump

Oklahoma! / Alfred Drake 2:32

If I Loved You / Jan Clayton From Carousel 4:23

You'll Never Walk Alone / Jan Clayton From Carousel 2:42

There's No Business Like Show Business / Ethel Merman From Annie Get Your Gun 3:11

Once in Love with Amy (Where's Charley?) / Ray Bolger 4:23

Some Enchanted Evening / Ezio Pinza South Pacific 3:03

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend / Carol Channing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 2:59

Getting to Know You / Gertrude Lawrence From The King and I 3:30

I Dreamed a Dream / Aretha Franklin Les Misérables 4:23

The Music of the Night / Michael Crawford From The Phantom of the Opera 5:50

As If We Never Said Goodbye / Elaine Paige Sunset Blvd. 5:24

Seasons of Love Rent 2:52

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Citygirldc

I think the gift was fantastic. It's representative of a new age and time

April 1, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Brian

Who chooses these State gifts for the President. My God, this is the Queen, not his Aunt Doris from back home. Utterly ridiculous. If he continues to present gifts like a 20 pack of movies to the Prime Minister and an Ipod to the Queen, the Brit's will think our country's electorate is again up to bad decision-making.

April 1, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Amarissa

I hope he made sure the charger would work with the european electricity after the dumb incident with Prime Minister Brown who couln't watch the movies he gave him because they weren't in the Pal format! I still think this White House gives awful and frivolous gifts to dignataries.

April 1, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. British

LOL what a poor gift.

April 1, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Bo

What a foolish gift! Is that all we are as a nation, ipod-lovers? How about something memorable, something that represents our proud nation as his first gift to foreign leaders? Maybe a historic letter from President Lincoln or another great figure (MLK, etc.)? Maybe for the Prime Minister an old Winchester rifle from the Old West days, something like that. This is just dumb. And I voted for him.

This is something Bush would do.

April 1, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. Keith

>West Side Story

I'm way more happy to read things that are happening around that world that don't have to do with the gloom & doom so often portrayed in the media.

CNN: Keep these happy, silly, fun stories coming!

April 1, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. patkelly

The UK will give Michelle an obvious high grade for here fashion savy, but probably will give her an equally low grade for her protocol savy (for example, how she brushes Prince Phillip aside in photo ops).

April 1, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  8. arithmetic is liberal

DanFromOhio April 1st, 2009 4:43 pm ET

To Matt in MN,

So you took one trip overseas and learned that, huh? The Obamas have probably circled the globe ten times, you don't think they've forgotten more than you'll ever learn on that type of thing? Durrr.

No, that was a legitimate question, I can only hope, and deserves a legitimate answer.

iPods recharge by USB port. USBs are universal. The AC/DC voltage conversion Matt in MN is worried about would take place in a charge box.

One of those guys in the big black beaver hats that stand outside Buckingham can go down to the Apple store and pick one up for £7 and be back in time for tea.

April 1, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Steve In California

I hope he put some good rave music on it for her. I hear she loves to go to raves.

April 1, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  10. Margaret, CT

I think that's a great gift!

I'm pretty sure that there was probably no possible gift in the entire galaxy that would have satisified some of the posters here.

What I find remarkable is how the Obamas are towering over the Queen and her husband in the picture. Good genes in that Obama family.

April 1, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  11. linda

Why is all these haters have to respond negative haven't they thought enough to say anything and everything nice about anyone here,our President is doing great-to give a nice gift to the Queen,what is wrong with that? the Queen probarly want know how to use it ,it was something different and these haters here which I believe are all washed out Repub,because they have no cause in the white house don't know where they are going or what they are going to do-they are "CLUELESS" no representation for the party-and this is not haten this is a true fact-remember the facts "haters" get over it and move on because the RNC has no outlet.Yes I aplaud President Obama for his generous gift like I said it was something different-maybe the Queen can have her grandson's show her how to use it-is there anything else these haters got to say negative if you have to be so negative "I say get a life" we Democrats are loving it and we are going somewhere not like the down and out Republicans,soon there will be no RNC Party-because they don't have a leader worth anything they are just pitiful & that is why they have no backbone for themselves and are going to the dogs. that is what you get when you cheat,lie,& steal from the american people who pays your salaries.

April 1, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  12. roy

Who cares? What I care about is his dopey budget that was proposed. What else is funny (not really) is the reception he is getting at the conference overseas. Worse than they gave Bush. Instead of throwing shoes, 20,000 people are rioting and throwing rotten eggs and fruit. Where's the love? They see through this clown. Before all yop Bush haters start screaming, I belong to no political party. I thing they should all be arrested.

April 1, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Tim

You people act like he brought her a bucket of Popeye's fried chicken. Grow up. Presumably they did some research of what music the Queen likes and loaded it up. It was a personal gift manufactured by one of the best American companies.

April 1, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  14. 2009 Patrol

Kick Protocal to the corner. This is a New Era. People need to understand the game is changing, and Obama leads the way. Why are people so afraid of being different? Just chill out.

April 1, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. Spencer, Virginia

It's a pretty cool gift the Queen got compared to what the First Family got back in return. I'm sure George Bush didn't pack his silver framed Royal Family picture when he left for Texas.

April 1, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. arithmetic is liberal

Brian April 1st, 2009 4:47 pm ET

The Lady already owns the world's largest cut diamond. What MORE would she need?

I'm happy that our President gave her a gift produced by an American company, thank you very much. Also, you missed the part about the rare songbook by Richard Rogers of legendary Broadway songsters Rogers and Hammerstein. I think that's the actual state gift.

Wouldn't this be a better world though, if our leaders were not overly impressed with themselves and expecting fealty from visiting dignitaries?

April 1, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  17. amy

Poor choice for a gift. Sounds like a good skit for SNL. Of course it's not going to happen since SNL is too Liberal to offend them.

April 1, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. arithmetic is liberal

patkelly April 1st, 2009 4:52 pm ET

Prince Phillip is Royal Consort, not a King, and knows to stand aside in photographs. Michelle actually DIDN'T know that from the looks of the video since she didn't automatically step in front of Prince Phillip.

April 1, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  19. Denver Mom

PLEASE tell me this is an April Fool's joke CNN and not what he actually gave the Queen.

April 1, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. Donna

For those of you who think this reflects poorly on our country, I would suggest you save your complaints for Rush Limbaugh. He today claimed that Gordon Brown was slobbering so much over President Obama that he was going to get poisoning from the President's nether regions (that is not the phrase Limbaugh used but I don't think CNN could or should publish his nasty statement in its original form). Now, you decide–which is objectionable? Which gives America a bad name? If you are going to carp about the President's gifts, do you also object to Limbaugh's scatological insults?

April 1, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  21. Matt in MN

@DanFromOhio

And you'd think, with all of those trips overseas done by the Obamas, they'd know that movies are regionally coded, and that the US and the UK don't share the same region. But apparently they don't, because they gave the British PM a set of Region 1 dvd's that don't work in the UK!

Then there's PAL (Europe) and NTSC (US) system encoding, which again affects things like watching/playing videos, games, etc.

And finally, outlets, in the US we us ones that us 110-120 volts on a 60Hz frequency, while our Europeans friends use 220-240 volts on a 50Hz frequency. Plug styles are A & B in the US, while C & M in Europe. Because of this, most electronic devices are made using different chips, circuits and other parts.

So maybe I haven't been overseas on more trips than the Obama's, but at least I know a little bit about how our continents differ a bit in regards to technology.

I have no problem with the gift, as given the fact that the Queen purchased a iPod mini in the past I'm sure she'll use it. I just am curious if it'll work for more than 1charge.

April 1, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  22. argee

Annette: slow down, relax, take a deep breath, and re-read the article! The Queen has a 2006 ipod; which is rather old technology. By all accounts she enjoys it.

"Betcha" you listen to Rush...right?

Personally, as a former librarian, I believe there is no better gift than a book.

April 1, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  23. Soaponarope

What is wrong with you people? The Queen likes her IPOD! She has been known to be thrifty and would definitely be uncomfortable with an expensive gift especially during the global recession. Do you all have a prejudice and think it impossible for the Queen to enjoy something so modern? Get a grip!

April 1, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Larry B

MIchelle also complimented the Queen saying she loved her in the Movie "The Queen"

April 1, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Seth

I heard that a couple of Reverend Wright's sermon's got on to the Ipod!

April 1, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |