April 2nd, 2009

Obama gives Queen an iPod

(CNN) - What's the proper gift to present Queen Elizabeth II with at Buckingham Palace?

A video iPod, apparently.

According to a White House aide, President Obama Tuesday night presented the Queen with the popular Apple device - reportedly complete with songs and video footage of the her 2007 trip to the United States.

UPDATE: The White House revealed the songs on the iPod were all from the two-disc CD, 'Ultimate Broadway.' (Full song list after the jump)

The gift will be at least the Queen's second iPod: in 2006 she purchased an iPod mini.

Obama also gave the Queen a rare musical songbook by Richard Rodgers.

As for the Queen, she reportedly gave the Obamas a signed photograph of her and her husband, Prince Phillip, in a sliver frame, her standard gift to foreign dignitaries.

Full iPod song list after the jump

Oklahoma! / Alfred Drake 2:32

If I Loved You / Jan Clayton From Carousel 4:23

You'll Never Walk Alone / Jan Clayton From Carousel 2:42

There's No Business Like Show Business / Ethel Merman From Annie Get Your Gun 3:11

Once in Love with Amy (Where's Charley?) / Ray Bolger 4:23

Some Enchanted Evening / Ezio Pinza South Pacific 3:03

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend / Carol Channing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 2:59

Getting to Know You / Gertrude Lawrence From The King and I 3:30

I Dreamed a Dream / Aretha Franklin Les Misérables 4:23

The Music of the Night / Michael Crawford From The Phantom of the Opera 5:50

As If We Never Said Goodbye / Elaine Paige Sunset Blvd. 5:24

Seasons of Love Rent 2:52

Filed under: President Obama
  1. HSHR

I think the gift to the Queen was different, but apparently she likes ipods. So thought it was appropriate. What wasn't was what she gave them. Who wants a picture of them???? Sorry, but think that was a bit tacky.

April 1, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. Stream Of Consciousness

LOL...I know it's tradition but an autographed picture?? Kind of lame and egotistical.

April 1, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. Seth

"Are you rightwing rubes illiterate? Can you read?"

Look, I'm a right wing nut, and I can read, but the IPod gift is still stupid and he obviously hasn't learned from his Gordon Brown DVD debacle (very close to being an "International Incident"). I disagree with Obama on most things, so I like to comment when he does something stupid! It's that simple, I get glee from it, and the other side had theirs for years with Bush, can't I have my bashfest now?

April 1, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Glennis

The iPod is tacky, but the Richard Rogers songbook (if indeed "rare") is a nice gift.......

April 1, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. swampe4

Who paid for this iPOD?

April 1, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. amy

An IPOD, I won one during one of my nursing seminars. Once again, this is TOO FUNNY:) Can't stop laughing...lol....lol

April 1, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. senna

Obama ought to have asked Queen Elizabeth to have apologized for the British racists who colonized and looted Africa, and specifically he ought to have demanded an apology from her for the British mistreatment of the Obama family in Kenya, the British torture of his grandfather, and other atrocities committed by the most racist peoples in history.

April 1, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. Merle

lol...an i-pod...and Some americans elected this guy...lol! Gooo Obama supporters. I guess he was tryin to make up for the DVDs.

-lol-

April 1, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. John

ok again this is really another stupid item of news. Worring about a gift. I am more worried about him not speaking correctly without a teleprompter following him around!

April 1, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  10. JUSTMEE

tedious898 wrote:
    "Pinhead GOP haters – dittohead types….GO LAY DOWN! It uses up to much of the little intellect you have to desparage our President (yours too whether you like it or not)."
    I believe you mean that it uses up "too" much of the intellect we have to "disparage"... I apologize if I'm not as "well educated" as you are.
    I didn't realize that patriotism means that one may not criticize a public official. When people railed against Bush, we were told that dissent is the highest form of patriotism–which, by the way, is a quote from Howard Zinn who objected to the war on terrorism. Is dissent is no longer patriotic now that Obama is in office?

April 1, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. Henry

Having worked in Britain for 10years, I think the queen appreciated this gift. It represents life as Music is life.

The queen's gift to Obama's is, it is good to be yourself and that is why you have come this far.

Thank you for both sides because you are the example!

April 1, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  12. Mimi Portland OR 97202

Dear Seth,

If the only reason you post is to express your "glee" at what you see as the dumb behavior of other folks, I suggest you go to a gym and work those infantile feelings out of your system.

The Queen likes i-pods. She bought one herself. This one is loaded with special videos and footage. He also gave the Royal Family a valuable Stephen Foster songbook that any monarch would be glad to have.

The days of giving royalty expensive gems is over, as in GOP over.

April 1, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. veronica

You naysayers,are just jealous of our first couple.Two smart,goodlooking,graceful and warm individuals.

April 1, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  14. Karen,

This was an excellent and thoughtful gift. 1. He stroked her ego by loading pictures of her on the IPOD 2. He didn't try to outspend her, that's impossible. 3. He courted the kid in her (give your grandma an IPOD, show her how to use it and see how much she loves it. 4. Loading music that she likes shows that he did his homework.

Everytime she turns it on, she will think of the Obama's and the USA!

Brilliant!

April 1, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. TIm

henry,

I think you are right. Obama's are themselves and we need to follow their example!

April 1, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Brian

Barack and Michelle Obama continue to make this country proud! :D

April 1, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. j

Amy,

You seem to be posting a lot of nonesense. I have an Ipod from 2007. I would, as the Queen did, LOVE a video IPOD AND a rare book signed by RODGERS or RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN, wow, that seems traditional, rare, and new. Only someone like our president could think of something so thoughtful. What would you give the Queen? What would be nicer than a rare antic and some new technology? Can't think of anything? Gotcha.

April 1, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. From New York

why everybody is just able to judge and give negative opinion? An iPod is perfect from America and to someone who has more than all americans put together....This gift is a simble of the new Era and thecnology...how ignorant are you people....!!!

April 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. Really?

Stupid white people here think they always know what is best or that they are the smartest thing since sliced bread. They think too highly of themselves and that's why America is in the mess they are in and still...a black man is cleaning up after white people!!!!!!

April 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. Agnes

Why would anybody feel bent out of shape over a gift... in the midst of the world crisis, a small thoughtful gift sounds so much more polite.... for all of you who don't like Obama's gift to the Queen, perhaps he should give a picture of himself and Michelle... focus on the reall issue people!

April 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  21. Tracy-Oakley

You idiots are really stupid. An American company created the iPod so why wouldn't he give the latest American hot invention loaded with the footage of the Queen and music the Queen likes. Wow you all should slowly step away from the keyboard.

April 1, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Rene

"Sniffit" you are delusional as most of your right wing nuts are! when obama spoke about not raising your taxes, he didn't mean your cigarette taxes weren't going up! in fact, he's speaking directly regarding our payroll/income taxes..you idiot! you republicans seriously need a dose of reality and stop turning things into something they are not...lies! that's all you repubs are good for...lies, hate, war, more lies, more hate...so sad.

April 1, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. No Incumbents 2010

@tedious898 April 1st, 2009 5:15 pm ET

Pot, Kettle, Black!

April 1, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. Not Really

"Stupid white people here think they always know what is best or that they are the smartest thing since sliced bread. They think too highly of themselves and that's why America is in the mess they are in and still…a black man is cleaning up after white people!!!!!"

Is that you Reverend Wright?

April 1, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Proud McConnell Supporter

Really?,I`m going to take that as a racist comment

April 1, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |