April 4th, 2009

Obama briefs nation on G-20 from Air Force One

(CNN) – President Obama, in his weekly address to the nation, praised the agreement of the G-20 nations to act together as a turning point in this global economic slump.

"In the end, we recognize that no corner of the globe can wall itself off from the threats of the twenty-first century, or from the needs and concerns of fellow nations. The only way forward is through shared and persistent efforts to combat fear and want wherever they exist. That is the challenge of our time. And if we move forward with courage and resolve, I am confident that we will meet this challenge."

Full Remarks

Filed under: G-20 • President Obama
  1. spoa

Stop Spending Our $ Obama!

April 4, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Tom Richard

Mr Obama's trip will be remembered not for his disastrous concessions at G-20, but for a surprisingly brilliant foreign policy address to the Europeans at Strasbourg.

This man confuses me. The foreign policy moves in Western Europe reflect spectacularly good judgment, but those to Iran, the Soviet Union, and N. Korea reflect an amazing ignorance of history.

Economically, he believes you can borrow out of debt, and spend out of recession. That has never worked. If you don't believe it, just look at the history of South America, especially Peru.

I hope his Western European diplomacy makes up for all of this by providing us with enough allies for our protection.

April 4, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Franky

Boy, do I got something for you guys, it started yesterday. Plus, the lord is blessing us today with this beautiful weather, is nice. Busy day today guys, my nephew has a baseball game today so who knows, I'll probably bust out but my sister lives far, some of the boys and girls wanna go but I ain't driving, they are on their own...

Is about to begin guys, is about to begin.

By the way, I heard they lift that ban on gay marriage in Iowa, first state in the Midwest to do it. You know, my mom was bashing that decision, pretty serious. She's old-school, too old-school, she really thinks is a choice, like a choice you make when you either buy a pen or pencil, just like that. She really thinks that but that's how it is, that's how it is. There was a bit reaction over here and with our surrounding states, kind of made fun of Iowa and said what's next, "Iowallywood?" LOL!! But we were just playing around, just playing around guys...

April 4, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Aftab Anwar

Well,
    This is not good situation that no one country can wall itself from stupidity of other. This is create a race for making big and make lot of money and take huge risk to make lot of money because now big mistake will be threat to whole word and state and IMF have run to b
    bail the stupids.
    This is kind of declaration of end of positive competition between countries because even if you do your best you will be effected by the mistakes of other.
    Now it is responsibility of countries not to let stupids run the big corps, bank, feds and even governments.
    Rgds,

April 4, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Wanda in FL

I am so proud of our President. He had a successful G 20 and the outcome and goodwill exhibited will benefit our country.

April 4, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. phoenix86

He accomplished nothing. Nice photo-op though.

April 4, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  7. ejmounsey Granville Ohio

I think we picked a winner this time. EJM Granville Ohio

April 4, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. DB

Bravo, Mr. President! You and Michelle made us deeply proud. It is so nice to have a leader with class, intelligence, and vision representing us in and to the world.

April 4, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

I am a proud American and retired US Army. I am also a life-long Democrat.

I have never been more ashamed in my life of an American president. This "apology" tour of President Obama is over the top. We, the American people, were dragged to the gutter by the neo-con's and George Bush. But as an American I don't believe we as a people owe an apology to anyone or any nation. What nonsense!

We did not cause the world-wide collapse of the financial markets. It was monumental greed around the world that caused it!

Count me out of the apology. Obama doesn't speak for me anymore than George Bush did.

And, like George Bush, I have put him on ignore!

April 4, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  10. Tolu, in Minneapolis

He understands very much how inextricably our economies linked, and for this I am grateful and proud to have such a bright president.

April 4, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  11. ANGIE IN PA

President Obama has Accomplished more in His little Time then Bush did in 8 Years and he has Been More Succesful then Bush great Job President Obama keep up the good work make us proud!

April 4, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. Mike Dallas

Very good job President Obama!

April 4, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  13. Michigander

I think the President is on the right track, and if his policies are given a chance and not just slammed by the right, we may be OK. Funny how the right is so quick to jump on this guy, when Bush was given free rein to terrorize, spy, and spend like there was no tomorrow while middle America was allowed to go under. So now that we have someone who understands our pain, and wants to help, he can do nothing to please them. Maybe if folks could turn off Limbaugh, Hannity, and the tearful Beck, and actually think about what they are calling for, which is traitorous insurrection, the US could recover. They are not worried about socialism, which we kind of have already, nor fascism, which was Bush's secretive "with me or against me, I'll keep thee safe " crap. I still believe that racism is at the heart of the complaints...they just cannot accept a brilliant black man as their President.

April 4, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  14. Fed Up

Near as I can tell, the world is about to spend another $1,000,000,000,000 that no one has. Obama is this generation's Jimmy Carter only 100 times worse. Say what you want about President Clinton, but he was a fiscal conservative. I'd rather have 4 more years of Bill than even 1 year of Obama.

April 4, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  15. gab

i kind of appreciate the BIG efforts that pres. Obama is working on....all those projects and ordinances that seem to help address the primary dissensions in the world. But the thing is, shouldn't he be FOCUSING more on the problems that are actually occurring in USA ? I'm not an american citizen but for me a president should let the PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR HIM feel tHAT THEIR DECISION OF VOTING HIM IS WORTH IT. Nevertheless, i appreciate the global actions that Obama is pushing. It might be that he has HIS OWN WAY OF solving the problem.

April 4, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  16. ib

Obama makes the statement that America has been arrogant and then talks about how successful the meetings were. The only people to gain with statements like this are the ones that want to destroy us.

April 4, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. say again please ?

Well, gee, I am having a real nice day, is cool, but not cold, a bit cloudy, maybe we will get some much needed rain, God is still Ruling, Blessing people, so I am nOT complaining..I have food to eat today, clothes to wear ( from Walmart, where I also get my food), a roof over my head, a nice comfortable bed, and MY bills are paid for this month !
    And didnt the 1st Lady look lovely in her J Crow clothes ? Yes she did !
    my kind of woman !
    old white woman independent in Texas, praising God for all MY Blessings !
    SUGGEST MOST OF YOU DO THE SAME !

April 4, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. studentsratings

President Obama's speech said it all. As a leader he is able to bring people together. He moved me as I would think he would move anyone who puts the world population first. His frank attitude and obvious manner convey a deep sense of concern while offering security to everyone.

He is not a prophet nor conspires to be; he is simply a man of undeniable wisdom. His use of words captivate and encourage others to rise and fulfill objectives in a constructive manner while being able to make sense of his ulterior aim. That is to bring peace and harmony to all nations!

With his firm stance and attitude to move mountains he leads as the leader of all leaders' never attacking or insulting others. He is strong and forthwith and offers comfort to everyone without exception to independent circumstances; the mark of a strong, influential while humble man.

April 4, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. Kevin in NoDak

Bravo, Mr. President! Keep up the good work!

April 4, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. Scott AZ

And just what is this little road trip of Obama costing us, the taxpayers?

April 4, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  21. Barbara Ca

Some things are not comfortable but they are necessary. This exactly where you should be right now Mr President and exactly what you should be doing. Stay the Course. Jer. 1:8

April 4, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  22. Dorothy in NC

Politics aside, I think President & Mrs Obama have graciously made the United States proud of the way they have acted. They were themselves.
    I think the world got a chance to see that our President wants everyone to live together in a peaceful world. Good job.

April 4, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Richard

Many of you folks on this board need to just lean how to say "Thank You". Even under the remarkable leadership that this new President is showing by addressing the vast array of problems that have been building up for years and threatening our collective futures, you folks continue to ignore progress and instead find reasons for complaint. Let me guess, you would have preferred to have Sara Palin in position of leadership during these daunting times?

Just learn to say "Thank You"....

April 4, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Otto

The words of President Obama is not an apology to anyone; rather, a fact that for too long, Americans think they are the only nation on Earth.
    George Bush gave you too much kool aid and you all believed him. The only difference is that no one from other countries believed and by that; they turn their back on us.

This is on Earth, made up of many nations and having cooperation from all nations; will lessen the hate, strife and wars we have come to enjoy "it seem"

The arrogance of so many Americans has caused others to hate us and have and will try to hurt us. What better way to combat these hateful thoughts? I believe seeing others as people; rather that sand dwellers is a step in the right direction. We are no longer the gun carrying, two gun kids of Texas and should be open to cooperation than segregation.

April 4, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  25. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Obviously there are some of us who still don't understand how much damage Bush did economically and to our image around the world. Obama knows it is important first to repair that image in order to get other countries on board to repair our economy and our image.

April 4, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |