April 6th, 2009

Palin spokeswoman attacks Levi Johnston's 'lies'

(CNN) - A Palin family spokeswoman Monday is continuing to push back against recent claims from Levi Johnston, saying the former fiancé of Bristol Palin told an outright "lie" when he said the two were allowed to live together.

"Levi has never lived under the same roof as Bristol or any of the Palins," Palin spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton told CNN.

In an interview that aired in full Monday on the Tyra Banks Show, Johnston said he moved in to the Palin household shortly before the birth of son Tripp last December.

"I just wanted to be there for her when she had the baby," Johnston said, adding the two were allowed to share a room.

"Do you really think the governor and Todd would have allowed that," Stapleton said in an e-mail.

In a statement released late last Friday, Stapelton was also sharply critical of Johnston for appearing on the show.

"We're disappointed that Levi and his family, in a quest for fame, attention, and fortune, are engaging in flat-out lies, gross exaggeration, and even distortion of their relationship," Stapleton said. "It is unfortunate that Levi finds it more appealing to exploit his previous relationship with Bristol than to contribute to the well-being of the child."

But in the interview with Tyra Banks, Johnston said was driven to "break his silence" after reading several news reports that were "not true."

"I have seen a lot of stuff, read a lot of things in the newspapers and news and it's time we get our story out there," he said. "I have seen a lot of stuff saying I've done steroids and drugs and cheated on Bristol and that kind of thing, and it's not true."

Johnston also described a currently chilly relationship with the Palins, saying the Alaska governor "doesn't want me around, I don't think." Johnston, and his mother Sherry, said they may go to court in an effort to be granted 50 percent custody of the child.

Johnston and Bristol Palin were thrust into the spotlight last September when Sarah Palin was chosen to be the Republican vice presidential candidate. During the GOP's national convention in Minneapolis, Palin revealed that Bristol, then 17 years old, was pregnant with Johnston's baby and the two had plans to marry.

The Alaska governor later indicated the wedding would occur this summer. But news surfaced last month the two had split.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Levi Johnston • Sarah Palin
  1. Cruzan Obama Mama

I believe Levi Johnston. I think that he has been railroaded by Palin and her ambitions. We all know that, that woman would of given anything to be in the White House, even if she is not qualified or prepared to be there. Imagine how other countries would of viewed the US with this kind of drama unfolding if they were elected. This is disgusting.

That woman put both of these kids (Levi & Bristol) in the forefront and then wanted privacy when it did not go her way. She is a horrible mother in my opinion. Why open up your family to this kind of scutiny just to advance your ridiculous career. If I was put in her shoes and offered the nomination when I know that I have a grandchild on the way, son (who is a high school drop-out) going off to war, a brand new down syndrome baby, & other kids to tend to...then I would of turned down the nomination that would taken me away from home. She was willing to ignore the needs of her family, but used them as human props to appeal to women voters. I wish she would realize how many working mothers she appalled....myself included.

April 6, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  2. Matilda

Do you really think the governor and Todd would have allowed that? Umm, yes. Why would he lie about that?? Palin is a person who has certain beliefs to get elected but doesnt practice what she preaches at home......I would love to see the TV ad during her re-election bid :)

April 6, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  3. Beverly, NYC

Johnston said, adding the two were allowed to share a room.

"Do you really think the governor and Todd would have allowed that," Stapleton said .

Hmmm YES I believe the Governor and her husband would allow the "enganged" kids to move in together. Before the baby's birth, they were going with the myth of planning a spring/summer wedding. The Palins are spinning because Levi didn't sell the story to FOX.

April 6, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  4. Gary of El Centro, Ca

So it turns out this fine young man that the McCain/Palin campaign put on stage for all Americans to embrace is actually a liar and a low life. Gosh, who knew? Never would have guessed such a thing. I mean, the McCain/Palin campaign was the "Straight talk express" wasn't it? And don't they belong to the party of family values? I'm confused.....

April 6, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Robert H.

I'm really tired ot the soap opera that is Sarah Palin and the rest of her ilk being paraded as legitilate news. This is more suited for Jerry Springer or better yet, Tyra Banks. Oh, wait – never mind.

April 6, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Gary in Oklahoma

I admire the Palins a great deal.

However, instead of attacking Mr. Johnson or his version of the circumstances, I hope that in the future they will limit their responses to only the facts, if at all.

The characterization of Mr. Johnson as a "liar", only plays to the hand of exploiters and it seems to me beneath the Palins.

April 6, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Sirnose

God forbid it be reveled that Sarah Palin did something that runs counter to her image as a die hard christian conservative.

Why is it hard to believe that Palin would have allowed Levi to move in once he impregnated her daughter after all the deed has been done.

April 6, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. John Urquhart

Levi is using this "in a quest for fame, attention, and fortune"???!!! What is Sarah's excuse for still trying to stay in the spotlight?

April 6, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. mary

Even if he were alowed to stay , thats not bad. After all they have a child together. Also if he seeks fame there is nothing wrong with that, he does have to pay for this child some kind of way. The Palin family is only worried about her political futrue in the white house which is never going to happen as long as i'm voluntering and woriking for the good of America.

April 6, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I think it is unfortunate that the Gov. chose to exploit her daughter and her daughter's pregnancy in a search for public office and her own fame and wealth.

April 6, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Carlos

If this is not hypocrisy, I don't know what is !!!

April 6, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. AJ

I thought Palin said her office doesn't comment on her children or their personal lives, REALLY? Another lie from Palin. That's interesting. They all deserve each other.

April 6, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. J S Ragman

Let me make sure I have this straight. (1) teenage, out of wedlock pregnancy (2) the baby has a grandmother that was arrested for dealing meth (3) baby's aunt was arrested this past weekend on felony burglary charges (4) both of baby's parents are high school drop-outs. Would someone out there please remind me if I have forgotten anything? Now, my question is this: What if this was going on in Obama's family? What would all of the self-righteous right wing kooks be spewing? These folks would have made a very fine example of the second family.

April 6, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Oh, God ... will the train wreck that is Sarah Palin and all the other little Palins never end?

April 6, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. bill

Yep. I'm sure that they were not allowed to sleep under the same roof, or even share the same bed ...... "the immaculate conception."

The Palin family will do anything to keep their image clean because Sarah thinks that she might get the Republican nomination for 2012.

April 6, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Danny

Whooo-eee, boy am I glad we didn't elect this woman. Everyone has their problems, but the last thing we need right now is a vice-president mired down in endless family legal issues. It would have been a four-year long episode of "Jerry Springer."

April 6, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. John in Binghamton

Why is Palin using the full force of the media to crush some pot head kid? You just can't ignore him? You would think she would learn by now that you keep the story going and draw attention to it by making comments like this. I didn't hear about this until Palin and her daughter started doing the media rounds.

April 6, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Craig Simpson

I can't believe anything that the Palins say. There are so many questions about the governor's character and her total lack of credibility that have been raised that I feel sorry for the people in Alaska who have to live with her.

April 6, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  19. tammy

Why is Sarah Palin and the goings on around her still considered to be newsworthy? Who cares.

With everything that is going on around us in the USA and the world there has to be something more newsworthy than this.

April 6, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Appalled at Palin

Once again, Sarah Palin shows she would spite a family member, or even the father of her grandchild, if she felt that they were disagreeing with, or standing in the way of, the shallow conservative altruistic picture that Sarah Palin wants to paint of herself......i.e. her family has no crises, her family has no problems, her family is perfect......or YOU are a liar.
    I APPLAUD Levi for standing up to this hypocrisy....look soon for Bristol and Levi to be on Meghan McCain's website.......if Bristol's Mom will allow it!

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Illini

Hey Bristol - Good Riddance to him!!!!

Just keep taking care of your beautiful baby and don't listen to all the negative, judgmental jerks in the "press" and elsewhere.

You have a family that obviously loves you - that makes other people jealous.

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  22. Jared

Levi's quest for fifteen minutes of fame is no less embarrassing than Palin's...except that her fifteen minutes ended several months ago and everyone but her seems to realize it.

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Progressive in Cereal City

I'm sooo not a Sarah Palin fan, but the way she keeps the drama around her...makes me feel sorry and humiliated for her, even though it's her own fault.

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  24. RB

The Palin house of "moral righteousness " comes tumbling down. Speak the truth Levi and you shall be set free. But, I'd certainly not go back to Alaska now, there might be an arrest warrant out on you now.

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  25. tammy

Poor young man. I hope he knew what he would be getting into by going public about the Palins and is prepared for the backlash from them. I imagine he is telling the truth – what motivation would he have to do otherwise – unlike his "in-laws"; can hardly wait for the full reaction..........!

Hope he gets joiny custody of the child also.......

April 6, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |