April 7th, 2009

New era with Muslim world?

(CNN) – President Obama is looking to forge a new era with the Muslim world, CNN's Candy Crowley reports.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Richard L

In the 1940’s people said that all Germans were bad and that most of them wanted to kill us. Now, Bush rubs the neck of their leader.

In the 1940’s people said that all Japanese people were bad and that most of them wanted to kill us. Now, Bush welcomes their prime minister to Graceland.

In the 1950’s people said that all Russians were bad and that most of them wanted to kill us. Now, we share space missions with them.

In the 1960’s people said that all North Vietnam people were bad and that most of them wanted to kill us. Now, North Vietnam is a popular tourist destination for Americans.

Now, people say that all Muslims are bad and that most of them want to kill us. Some people just don’t learn anything.

April 7, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. S Callahan

As a Christian it is not frightening to me where efforts of peace are made....Jesus is a peacemaker.God commands us to love him with all heart , soul and mind and to love our neighbors. God's word exists eternally as he has promised. You can't take the Creator out of life, for he is the essence of life, the breath of life. Events of this world have been preordained by him and are all part of his perfect plan. Live in love and you will flourish and not be 'worried' with the cares of the world. If a stone is built but not of God, it will tumble so fret not.

April 7, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. American Muslim

I am an American Muslim, I love the USA- I came to the US 30 years ago, and I truly believe this is the best country in the world – no question about it. No one should question my loyalty to this great country...It does not matter which religion you believe in, it is your loyalty to the country that you love that matters the most. 911 hurt me as much as it did hurt every American...the 911 perpetrators were thugs and killers that came to hurt my country in the name of my religion – and they had nothing to do with that religion.

Please differentiate between the religion and people. Islam teaches me to be good to people all around no matter what their beliefs are. I respect all religions and I wish well to others no matter what they beleive in. I am no a muslim minority, many of my muslim friends beleive the same way I do. Thank you

April 7, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. Ariana

Peace to you,

You make excellent points, but just a correction: Islam is actually younger than Christianity. It was brought about after Christ. This is why the Quran mentions Judaism and Christianity, but those two religions do not mention Islam.

April 7, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. cool onlooker

Too soon to say this is already a new era with M world. But um... at least no shoes flying during Prez. Obama's visit.

April 7, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. Mike

Laverne said, "My fellow bloggers: reading some of these blogs, you can really sense fear. We as Americans, do not have anything to fear when it comes to Muslims. It is fear that will keep people from working together and trying to understand one another position in the world. As as Christian, we have to be grounded in our own beliefs be intimidated because others do not believe the same things we believe. The most important things is we CAN NOT continue to fight everyone who does not live like we do in the US. People are different and see the world through different eyes. The notion that because POTUS has some knowledge of the Muslim community does not make him an evil person of less interested in keeping America safe. We have to move beyond fear which is why racism and other prejudices have survived some long here. It is a blessing to have a leader who does have some knowledge of the way Muslims think and operate. There are still Americans who fear President Obama and that is a shame because he is really a good leader and a good human being!"

I couldn't agree more!

April 7, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Jan/ NY

I have only praise for our President! He is offering a new start for the world and other nations respect his honesty, intelligence and ability to lead. It is sad to read some negative comments because people just don't understand that President Obama is empowering us in so many ways. We are so lucky to have a president other countries can respect and want to work with as opposed to the horror of the past 8 years. He is working hard for the American people and I, for one, thank you, Mr. President!

April 7, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Soldier

Should we fear radical Islamic fundamentals? I guess you wouldn't mind spending a night with them? Should we fear terrorist with Islamic taechings? We have an enemy-should you fear them? If we Americans hit the reset button like we did so many times before we would have fought these two wars for nothing. Should we go after Muslims who support monetarily? We as Americans should fear Islamic rule, it is contrary to the Christian values this great nation was built on!

April 7, 2009 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  9. Ray

Praise Allah praise obama down with the infidels. we've been knocking heads for to long muslims would have NEVER apologized or reached out the hand of peace. Thank god this country elected a weak man Praise obama please muslims were so very sorry please don't hurt us.

April 7, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. WhoCares?

God, I hope we can strengthen our ties and become more brothers than enemies.

You can't wage an eternal war against half the world's population folks...think about it.

April 7, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  11. Christina

I'm so so tired of the Republican party picking parts and criticizing a president that is so clearly improving our standing and how we are viewed in the world. He is repairing damage and building bridges. THAT will make our country stronger. Suprisingly I'm a registered Republican – and will never vote such again! What damage such a small outspoken minortiy has done to the Republican party by putting a negative spin on any actions the president takes. Stand behind our elected officials. Obama was elected by a large majority. He is the President. Get over it.

April 7, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  12. Cali Girl

I think that's great.

Thank you Mr. President.

April 7, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. Melissa

I have a funny feeling that those spewing the most vile rhetoric are those who know the least about Islam.

April 7, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |