April 7th, 2009

Wax museum to unveil Michelle Obama figure

ALT TEXT

Michelle and Barack Obama become the third U.S. presidential spouse with a lifelike wax figure on display at Madame Tussauds.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama joins an elite group Tuesday.

She is to become the third U.S. presidential spouse with a lifelike wax figure on display at Madame Tussauds, a museum and tourist attraction.

Figures of Jacqueline Kennedy and Hillary Clinton stand in the museum alongside lookalikes of Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, George Washington and Martin Luther King Jr. as well as Angelina Jolie and Will Smith.

Madame Tussauds touts its new addition as an "incredibly lifelike" figure in a sleeveless red dress based on the purple dress she wore when her husband claimed the Democratic nomination for president.

The museum unveiled a figure of President Barack Obama in February.

Artists in London studied hundreds of photos and watched hundreds of hours of video footage to create Michelle Obama's likeness, the museum said in a statement.

Crafting such figures is no easy task.

Artists insert each strand of hair individually, and it can take five weeks to create a figure's head, the statement said. Materials such as red silk help create veins in a figure's eyes, it said, and technicians can spend four days perfecting a set of teeth.

Madame Tussauds plans to unveil the first lady's wax figure at 11 a.m. local time.

"Visitors will be able to admire the figure up close," the museum said, "as well as take photos with and even hug Mrs. Obama's figure."

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Cal_teacher

enough already with the gushing over Michelle Obama. I couldn't care less about what she wears. The clothes she wore for "gardening" in a story that ran a hundred times a few weeks ago were so ridiculous- no one gardens in expensive knee-high boots and leggings- very contrived for publicity. If you're going to report on her, at least show me she has more substance than being another pretty face. I haven't respected a first lady since I read about Eleanor Roosevelt. Less is more. Frankly, I believe both Obamas are getting way too much press. What next–a music video?

April 7, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. MaryK

Nice, people are trashing the First Lady. Way to be high class people!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again, comments like that say alot more about you, You disagree with her and her opinions, great, that's what this country is about, but to make snide comments about her personally, shows utter lack of class and amazing ignorance on your part.

April 7, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Adiam48

Great! She is one I would like to see. She is a beautiful example of a first lady.

April 7, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  4. barking republican ankle biters

At least she isnt a stepford wife,doing and saying only what she is allowed to say and do.

April 7, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  5. bill

Why not Michelle Obama...afterall it's the museum who gets to chose who they want to replicate. Why all the ugly comments!

April 7, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  6. Anonymous

Awesome! What has she done to deserve this you ask? She's being herself; caring, concerned, humble, and loving. During these ailing and uncertain times she's like the mommy that makes the boo-boo hurt less with a hug and kiss. Just a beautiful individual inside and out...

April 7, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. Ariana

I like Michelle and I voted for her husband. But I think the media goes a little too far in worshipping her. And btw, you can't compare her to Jackie!!

April 7, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. Cynthia - Arkansas

What is wrong with you haters? She is a beautiful, intelligent woman. She brings joy to people who meet her. I think you are all just jealous.

April 7, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  9. Sarty

She deserves this. Thanks Britain. That's how you are showing respect to America. & its first family.

April 7, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Marcia Campbell

Michelle is a perfect compliment to her husband – who, dare I say, is the perfect man to get us on the right track again. I am so proud of our new President and First Lady. All you sourpuss conservatives out there need an attitude adjustment ! I have been to Madame Tussauds museum in London. It's a wonderful and quirky place. Go see for yourselves.

April 7, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. Brett

Michelle Obama is not only a beautiful person, inside and out, but she is smart. We need more role models like her.

April 7, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. cheryl brooks from cali

Great!!!! She's so beautiful inside and out, just like her husband the President she fills me with so much hope... love just everything. I love our First Lady.

April 7, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  13. knormb

Madame Tussaud's has museums around the world, including LA, New York and Washington, DC. Ms. Obama will likely end up in DC, beside her hubby.

Nice bow in the picture, though.

April 7, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. norma jean

Hate her or love her she is on top and you gonna see her shine thru out in the next 3 and some years to come. Stop hating the lady is a Typical First Lady yall.

April 7, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. velma jones

I am so sick and tired of people put the first family down he only been in office 3months give him abreak roman was not build in a day .

April 7, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |