April 7th, 2009

Wax museum to unveil Michelle Obama figure

ALT TEXT

Michelle and Barack Obama become the third U.S. presidential spouse with a lifelike wax figure on display at Madame Tussauds.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama joins an elite group Tuesday.

She is to become the third U.S. presidential spouse with a lifelike wax figure on display at Madame Tussauds, a museum and tourist attraction.

Figures of Jacqueline Kennedy and Hillary Clinton stand in the museum alongside lookalikes of Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan, George Washington and Martin Luther King Jr. as well as Angelina Jolie and Will Smith.

Madame Tussauds touts its new addition as an "incredibly lifelike" figure in a sleeveless red dress based on the purple dress she wore when her husband claimed the Democratic nomination for president.

The museum unveiled a figure of President Barack Obama in February.

Artists in London studied hundreds of photos and watched hundreds of hours of video footage to create Michelle Obama's likeness, the museum said in a statement.

Crafting such figures is no easy task.

Artists insert each strand of hair individually, and it can take five weeks to create a figure's head, the statement said. Materials such as red silk help create veins in a figure's eyes, it said, and technicians can spend four days perfecting a set of teeth.

Madame Tussauds plans to unveil the first lady's wax figure at 11 a.m. local time.

"Visitors will be able to admire the figure up close," the museum said, "as well as take photos with and even hug Mrs. Obama's figure."

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. phoenix86

The wax figure will be 100% lifelike. Identical bone structures as well as identical intelligence. For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of Madame Tussauds.

April 7, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  2. jo jo

I think that's beautiful! I will have to visit London again real soon.

April 7, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. FREEMAN

Why not? Highly intelligent, well educated, attractive, a role model. She's an inspiration to all woman.

April 7, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  4. GUSS

Wow! I thought that was a picture of her. They nailed her, in fact, this is the first wax figure that actually looks like the person it's supposed to be. Very impressive.

April 7, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Michelle deserves it. I bet her wax figure will bring in more tourism to the museum.

April 7, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. Jimmy Boy

It looks almost human!

April 7, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. Mike

Now if only she would learn to dress properly.

April 7, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. TyRenee

Great! Can't wait to see it.

April 7, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. KLK

I'll be sure to visit.

April 7, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. obama daddy

Please tell me....

this is a

JOKE. I am NOT laughing.

what the &$%* has she done to deserve this??

April 7, 2009 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Loletha

It looks almost like her, that blouse is not. whats with the big fly bow.

First Lady Michelle Obama is quite the role model for all women around the world.

April 7, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. rainbowgirl

That IS a real picture of her (see two stories below where she is waving to the crowd with the President). The description under the picture is misleading, making the reader think that the picture in the black and white dress with the bow is the wax figure, but it's not.

April 7, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. sniffwhat?

Wax is the absolutely perfect medium for this woman!

April 7, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. Surreal

She looks amazingly life-like.

April 7, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Brandon

Well this is just comical. I wish they would put this wax figure in the white house so we don't have to listen to her babbling anymore! She has done nothing. She is the first lady of 3 months? I wonder how much stimulus money this museum got for this publicity stunt???

April 7, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  16. munchmom

I will try a THIRD time, CNN. No, I will be nicer this time since that is what gets posted!

I don't think that she deserves this, at least not yet, if ever. Let's see how affective she is after her hubby has been in office for a while, like everyone says about him regarding all of the "work" he has done. She has not impressed me in the least, as she continues the "campaign" that her husband continues to perpetuate. Put someone who is deserving of it–where is Rosalyn Carter, Ladybird Johnson, even old Eleanor Roosevelt? They accomplished things and were basically ahead of their times. Put someone in there who has done something for this country and actually felt good about it.....MY adult life is not more fulfilled by this; rather laughable in my estimation.

April 7, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  17. gary gpp

I'd like to see Sarah Palin dipped in wax...

April 7, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Hmmm

Wax? I think plastic is better.

April 7, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Michelle Obama is not a fashion model, she's an intellectual model for all women around the world.

April 7, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. Slap Happy

Uh, this is in London, so I don't think they recieved stimulus money for this. M. Tussauds makes statues of different "pop culture" and political icons and the decision is theirs to make. This goes to show just how much of a hit First Lady Michelle Obama was over there. So for you haters in here, may I suggest that improve your reading skills and lastly: grow up. You are truly pathetic and laughable.

April 7, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. tony in nm

Thank God we have Michelle Obama as First Lady!

April 7, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  22. globalgroove

Uh Brandon....Madame Tussuad's is in London...I don't think England got any US stimulus money. And I'm quite sure she has accomplished much more in her life than you ever will in your entire lifetime.

April 7, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  23. Lynn

munchmom: All first ladies and presidents get wax figures! I do though think the fact that 80 per cent of Americans approve of her European trip and introduction to the world is enough of an accomplishement.

April 7, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  24. FL

I really don't understand what all the hype is about Michelle Obama. I think the media is going to turn people off on her and her husband with all the celebrity nonsense. It is kind of nauseating.

April 7, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Fitz in Texas

Actually, I really don't care. I have no desire to see this wax figure of Mrs. Obama now, or ever.

April 7, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |