April 8th, 2009

Iraq wrong visit for Obama?

(CNN) - Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan before he went to Iraq.

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. FREEMAN

The President is no more anti-military than the average American. If anything he's anti-war. A major difference. Anti-war is hating war and all that goes with it. Death, disease, destruction. I find it fasinating that people (the republicans) who claim they are pro-life support war which causes so much destruction and death of innocent lives.

April 8, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. KMAN

Well, add Bobby Ghosh to the list of meaningless @ holes who happen to have an opinion ... just like everyone else has.

April 8, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. Debbie

I was a Republican for 30 years. I now fully support Obama. I voted for him. I think he is a GREAT man and will be the best President that we ever had. I will be changing my party because it is an embarrassment to be apart of the GOP. Their consistent anti- Obama criticism makes them look stupid every day!
    Obama is using good judgment to get us out of this big mess.
    Wise up GOP you are kicking against the pricks and working against yourselves with every rebellious word!

April 8, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. pray2008pray

Everyone has a right to there opion. Thats whats great about America. However leave the President alone. Nothing he do is right for some of you. Leave, move to iraq, canada, mexico, wherever you are satisfied. No matter what President Obama does is never enought for some of you PRICKS!!!!

April 8, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Chuck

Hey, Bobby Ghosh.....How gauche of you in your opinion of the Commander-in-Chief's visit to Iraq where we have 150,000 troops deployed there. The number of troops in Afghanistan is much less and without doubt, President Obama will visit there soon enough.

Next time, reflect before you state an opinion.

April 8, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. 52 yr. old white Houston oil man

Gee, when he was still running for president he was critisized for not visitting with the troops in Iraq.

April 8, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. Uptown

I guess Obama is doing SOMETHING RIGHT wth Iraq because I did not see any SHOES thrown at HIM!!

April 8, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. sam, HIGHLAND RANCH, COLORADO

To Jimmy the Greek,

Your ignorant! Your jealousy is showing. Go get a life!!!!

April 8, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. J James

I am cancelling my subscription to Time rag-azine right after I type this comment.

I don't want to pay this fool's salary.

April 8, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. RNC + DNC = politics as usual

Iraq is what got him elected – it made everyone say (falsely) that he would bring all troops home. That was a lie but he knows this is good PR.

He does not want to have Afghanistan in the news too much because it will become his Viet Nam. And he is sending more trops there and is having missles strikes kill people since his election.

Pretty simple PR decision. Question Authority.

April 8, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. Jamin in NoVa

Stupid people voted for Bush twice. Stupid people talk crap about Obama no matter what he does. If he goes to Iraq they talk BS, if he doesn't go they talk BS.
    If he is an excellent speaker and understands the english language they cry about a tele-prompter?!
    Bush used a tele-prompter and no matter where or what subject – still sounded like a fool.
    Who cares what these backward clowns say or do. The Repugs suck.

April 8, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Greg

Everyone needs president obama alone and let him do his job and get the country better if we keep critizing him for anything he does how are we supposed get out of this hell we are in if wants he to go to iraq or afghanistan if thinks it's too dangerous then it's too dangerous if former president bush was still in office and the economy was failing he wouldn't have come up with idea of a stimulus package he probably would let the country fail so everyone should be happy the obama is president

April 8, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. please

Jimmy – "spending tax dollars like a socialist"?

You might want to spend some of your dollars buying a dictionary so you have at least a slight clue what socialism is.

April 8, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. Syd in Palm Bay, Fl

I served 21 years in the U.S. Air Force, Voted for president Obama and support anything positive toward our troops around the world. This is not a GOP or democrat decision to visit the troops in Iraq, it's the right thing to do. There are several great highlights during my military career, but the most memoriable one was meeting Defense Secretary William Cohen and several members of congress at a stop over in Belgium. It is a big deal to the troops to meet our leaders. I am proud of my service to this country, my fellow military member, veterans, and our Commander and Chief. I don't care where he visited first. I am just happy he visited the troops.

April 8, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  15. Boisepoet

STFU...why didn't the media do this much 'second-guessing' when Bush was president. Why the hell didn't you raise the question SHOULD WE INVADE IRAQ...I remember a lot more cheerleading and parroting of the Whitehouse line than I remember actual questioning of whether there was truth behind what Bush/Cheney was saying.

BUT NOW, Obama makes a surprise visit to troops and your headline is second-guessing whether it was the right move. Corporate media...must be in the pockets of Republicans. What's next CNN? Will you change your tag line to "Fair and Balanced" too?

April 8, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. FreeNLovIt

I did not HIRE Obama to start a farm and live in a ranch to tend to cows, buffaloes, chickens, goats, sheeps and ducks.

April 8, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  17. Michael - USAF Veteran

@ IndyVoter and Michael

No need to justify my service to a bunch of kids posting here.

O-4 Major (Ret.)
    United States Air Force
    AFSC: 13B4 (Air Battle Manager)
    Stationed: Tinker AFB, OK

552nd Air Control Wing
    E-3 AWACS

April 8, 2009 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Abi , Los Angeles.

By Ghosh, as a seasoned journalist, i thought you did your homework, evidently, you did not. When was the last time we had a President who is highly respected and loved both at home and, even more abroad? Rational reasoning indicates yesterday's doom will just be that, better days are ahead, on the horizon. President Obama is smart, intelligent and, pro-active. Even, despite the gloom economic conditions, Americans are not lost , with President Obama, America will rise again and, be enormously prosperous. Iraq's visit was a morale booster for our troops, Ghosh, did you see their beeming, teary-eyed faces? Did you hear them shout-it-out that they love him? He then replied them by saying, I love you more. Geez, don't be left behind, it is a new day in America, be productive, be a progessive.

April 8, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. Anna

Jimmy the Greek.......... let me write this so you can understand it. To call a man who graduate from one of the best college in this country an empty suit, tell us who really is the airhead racists fool. Why don't you and your kind go to Afghanistan and get blown straight to hell where you belong. GET IT!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Neiki

God bless you President Obama! Thank you for going to Iraq & being open & honest to the US Military stationed there. Having both of my sons in the USMC (one recently returning from Iraq & going to Afganistan soon) WE GET IT!!! I am so proud of how you are representing our country & for your blatent support for our troops!! YES IT WAS THE RIGHT MOVE!!!

April 8, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. Linda from Minnesota

To Jimmy the Greek – I hope the Secret Service takes note of your post.

April 8, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  22. Truth hurts

The Man can never do right cause the media will always magnify the minor mistakes. Im tired of hearing people complain, give the pres. a break he's been in office for three months. *Breaking News* Obama forgot the courtesy flush! Give me a break!

April 8, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  23. Donna from Colorado Springs

Everybody is a know-it-all aren't they? If he had gone to Afghanistan, they would have whined that he should have gone to Iraq first! No matter what he does, someone will think it's wrong!

April 8, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. w.l. jones

If some of these News editors got a real job they will know how the general public think.

April 8, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. Bgail

What I wish for are real adults who are able to see the world through mature, sensible eyes, to be the ones who speak up. It is very immature to sit in your armchair and think that you know better than our President what he should be doing when.

It is one thing to give an opinion about a policy or a remark. It is another thing to second guess a simple gracious gesture like visiting troops. How petty to decide that he should have visited other troops first! No visit to troops was even on the schedule. I think it was very nice that he visited the troops in Iraq. I believe he will make it to Afghanistan too. And if you want to know how to troops felt about it, watch the footage and hear the cheers.

Obviously, this reporter had nothing to do, though he'd stir the pot. More negative stuff. Shame on you.

April 8, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |