April 8th, 2009

Iraq wrong visit for Obama?

(CNN) - Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan before he went to Iraq.

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. Mike in NYC

Any reason why the women and minorities are in the front, and the White men are in the back?

After all, it's the latter that suffer a disproportionate share of casualties.

Do these guys even know that they're being insulted?

April 8, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. tigerakabj

You the media are mad b/c you didn't get any gaffes (as always) from Barack. He hit nothing but homeruns his entire trip. People were celebrating his trip and not burning flags or protesting like they were under Bush. You can't stand that. Just like his trip last summer, whatever he does you will criticize. The media frame has been that he is bad with the troops, they don't like him, and that he doesn't command respect from them. Well once again Barack proved you wrong.

If he went to Afghanistan, you guys would have said he should have gone to Iraq.

Now do understand why increasingly the people are getting news elsewhere instead of the MSM? Everybody is increasingly treating you like ESPN commentators as just that - COMMENTATORS WHO JUST STATE OPINIONS.

Barack did the right thing going to Iraq. I am very proud of my president and my country and you the media cannot convince me otherwise.

April 8, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. ~~ July ~~

_________________________________________-

Another way to read this would be ::

Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Iraq before he went to Afghanistan.

or

Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan & Iraq .

You see .. there is no way the Pres. could make Bobby Ghosh happy.

April 8, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. once upon a horse

Now I see why the GOP has a 31% approval rating and the presdent has 66%!

April 8, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. Gary Jaussaud

Gary's Comment is:

It is not Bobby Ghosh's place to suggest anything the President should do or not do. His job is to manage his company and report
    events of the World. If Mr. Ghosh wants to run the country let him run
    for office, then he can vist who ever he wants and when ever he wants.

April 8, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Sniffit

@ AndyL, who said "Wrong decision to go there, that depends. Did he go there to praise the troops or kiss more muslim asses and apologize for the big bad USA"

Quite obviously the former, seeing as how he's NEVER done the latter. You see, the problem you GOPers have, and recent history is repleat with solid evidence of this FACT, is that you have absolutely ZERO concept of accountability. Oh sure, you understand blame well enough...well enough to point fingers at everyone else at all times and well enough to know you don't want to be blamed because you no likey...but blame and accountability are not the same. Blame comes at you from others, but accountability is something that comes from yourself. Obama showing the world that we hold ourselves accountable for our mistakes as a nation is neither "kissing mulim asses" nor "apologizing"...it's simply a responsible acknowledgement that we did wrong. AND WE DID, whether you are willing to hold yourself accountable...let alone your country and your precious retard GOPer POTUS who led it all.

April 8, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Mike Syracuse, NY

@Troy, Mari and others. Why are so many Obama supporters claiming that if he had visited Afghanistan, he would be bashed for not visiting Iraq? He could and should have visited both. They are both in the same theater of operations. It would have cost him a few extra hours to leave Bagdad and fly to the relatively secure US airbase base in Bagram, home of over 4,000 US troops. This wasn't a 'pick one' situation.

April 8, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. Charles Sawyer

I'm English and live in the Caribbean. I have visited the US many times and followed US politics ever since my first visit.

I had hoped Barrack Obama would win the Presidential election. I also believe that John McCain is a very good and genuine person and sees the wisdom and energy in his new President! Since Mr Obama was made President he has done a very inspirational job. I think the world is starting to feel a safer place!

I have listened to critics, who suggest that Barrack Obama is still a Muslim and has a secret agenda to advance the Muslim cause. The fact that he was a Muslim, he is Christian now, allows him greater knowledge of the problems of achieving a more peaceful state between peoples of all races and religion.

When President Obama and his Secretary of State Hilary Clinton manage to find a peaceful solution to the Arab/Israeli conflict, that could go a long way towards quelling the hatred and animosity that is
    shown by the majority of Arab/Muslim nations towards the US and the West.

Rather than rebuilding Gaza, would it not be possible to rebuild Gaza in the North of Israel, creating a buffer between Syria and Lebanon with Seaport access. Also creating a new country of Palestine. Making adjustments with land swop/cash payments. Take a bit of selling to Israel! but if Iran was involved?

April 8, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. nick

I bet many of todays reporters, never heard about guys like, Ernie Pyle, or Edward R Morrow. I can remember when a reporter named,Walter Cronkite was voted the most trusted man in America. I wonder what ranking reporters would receive today, given the likes of the entire staff of FOX NEWS,MSNBC, Lou Dobbs, Limbaugh,John King,Ed Henry etc. I also wonder if any of todays reporters even know what the true definition of Reporter or Reporting really means.

April 8, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Nini

Some of you may have short memories but I still remember like it was yesterday when Obama said:
    “We air raid villages and kill innocent women and children” the man and women you visited yesterday are the same people you were talking about Mr. Obama.

Call me old school but I can’t stand people who are two face and opportunistic.

April 8, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. I used to like CNN but not anymore!

Their are now 3 truths about life! 1) Death 2) Taxes 3) Someone will always " fabricate" a reason to cry about everything Obama tries to do like a pissy-pants little baby who lost his binky! Its like this country is turning into the world biggest day care/ nursery! WAH WAH WAH! We want our binkies and we want them now!

April 8, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  12. WhoCares?

Tim...You're a clown with that post. What aj oke you repthugicans have become.

April 8, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  13. POTUSsupporter

Ok I was at this event yesterday, and to the comment about the VIP Rent-a-crowd, nothing could be farther from the truth. We all knew that he was coming, and we all came there to see and support our Commander in Chief. I support my President, because he is my President, did I vote for him? No, but I will support him nonetheless because he IS my Commander and I will give him the respect that he deserves. All of the President Obama haters out there get over yourself people, you lost the election, crying about it will do absolutely nothing, you're not infants where if you cry long enough somebody will pick you up and change your diaper....but boy do you sound like it.

April 8, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. Len

Bobby Ghosh, you're such an idiot!! I hope you read this. You have the brain and the intelligence of a poppy seed. How in the heck did you get that position with CNN? Oh I'm sorry, it must had been a Bush supporter who put you in that position. You give Wolf Blizter a bad name because he is a very intelligent anchor. You on the other hand Bobby are just plain pathetic!!! Oh, and by the way, I served proudly in the United States Marine Corps. We love our President for all you loosers out there, especially the Commander-In-Chief bashers. Can you imagine if Sarah Palin would have gotten in the White House? Talking about 911 domestic calls. Geeeeeeeeeeee!

April 8, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  15. chuck

SORRY ,I DO NOT LISTEN TO TRASH PEOPLE.

April 8, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Proud to Serve

As an active duty service member, I find the title and intent of this article offensive. The president visited the troops and gave them hope that things will get better. That says a great deal about him and his intentions for the future. It doesn't matter where he goes first. I'm appalled that a reputable news organization like CNN would even publish something as ludicrous and unworthy of putting into print, much less even writing to begin with.

April 8, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Rob

Obama had too. There were a couple more muslim leaders he had to bow too

April 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Len

Sorry,

Bobby the idiot works for Time Magazine, not CNN. I made a mistake for all of you who are ready to tear me apart for wrong information.

April 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  19. Len

This si a total non -issue...CNN why do you do these things?

April 8, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. RLE

I agree with those who expressed opinions that the Presidnet Obama can do nothing without the meeting finding fault. I am tored of our president being scrutinized more than any other president including Bush during his second term. Being an African America in the United States is difficult even when you are president of the United States. We are criticized, scrutinized, villafied more than our white Americans. Even though president is more intellectual than his GOP critics, the media pumps them up and allow them to say anything without verification and with the president who is being honest and transparent they (the media) continues show bias. It is time that we including the media deal with the elephant in the room; our president is a black man and an intelligent man who is actually doing well considering...

April 8, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  21. Proud to Serve

(Please replace my last submission with this one, I misspoke)

As an active duty service member, I find this guy Bobby Ghosh to be making comments that are way off the mark and downright moronic. The president visited the troops and gave us hope that things will get better. That says a great deal about him and his intentions for the future. It doesn't matter where he goes first. I'm appalled that a reputable news organization like CNN would even publish comments this ludicrous suggesting the president somehow did something wrong by visiting troops. If your intentions were to make your rival news organization look stupid, you made your point. However, you did it with great disrespect to the president and to those fighting for your right to say such things.

April 8, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. judesuper

It doesn't matter what President Obama has accomplished. There is always someone that wants to be in the stoplight but saying, could have, would have, should have with whatever the President does. Now if President Obama went to Afghanistan first, then on to Iraq, that wouldn't have been good enough for you either, right? Shut up. No one cares what you have to say. Be a good repub, and go hide under a rock. We will let you know when it is safe to return. Yeah NEVER.

April 8, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. RLE

I agree with those who expressed opinions that the Presidnet Obama can do nothing without the media finding fault. I am tired of our president being scrutinized more than any other president including Bush during his second term. Being an African America in the United States is difficult even when you are president of the United States. We are criticized, scrutinized, villafied more than our white Americans. Even though president is more intellectual than his GOP critics, the media pumps them (gop critics) up and allow them to say anything without verification and with the president who is being honest and transparent they (the media) continues to show bias. It is time that we including the media deal with the elephant in the room; our president is a black man and an intelligent man who is actually doing well considering…
    I attempted to correct what I hope are all typos

April 8, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. Zaggs

Another manufactured photo op. Anyone notice how alot of the camera in the video are the same model? Course he didn't help his cause by saying "now" was the time to transfer sovereignty to Iraq. We've been doing that for over a year. The vast majority of provinces are completely under Iraqi control and 3 more are due to be handed over in Nov. Someone may want to bring him up to speed on Iraq or something.

April 8, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. judesuper

Most senators visit their home states during their breaks from Washington. You know, to find out what's going on back home. Or, how they can help their home state is some way. What does my illustrious senator do? He visits his old prison camp. What the heck? This guy is off his rocker. McCain you have done zero for Arizona. Why in the world should we ever re-elect you. Obviously you can't get over anything. Do us all a favor and retire already. I will gladly vote for whomever runs against you. However, it will be a little sad to see you have to make another concession speech. Oh wait, no it won't.

April 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |