April 8th, 2009

Iraq wrong visit for Obama?

(CNN) - Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan before he went to Iraq.

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. RS

Who asked this report for his thoughts about the President's visit to iraq?
    Does it matter what the reporter thinks and why does CNN go seek out these negative opinions.Oh I got it he is going to be the next big deal on John King's show which is another issue in iteself.
    Did you all see the interview with the former VP, now the new crystal ball predictor of our future, with John King.
    Was it me or did you not see John just sit there ask a question..got a response which he knew was wrong or really wayward and did not follow up or challenge at all.
    It's becoming more and more sad to see everyday the amount of monday morning quarterbacks this economic climate is raising.
    America we have serious problems and the only way out is for to us all become one TEAM-which really spells "Together we Each Achieve More"!!

April 8, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. ostman

Correction to my last comment....I meant to say that if Obama had visited Afghanistan first, some people would find fault with that, too.

April 8, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. Jackie in Dallas

I don't think it matters which operational theater (what the military calls an area where we are in armed conflict) that President Obama visits first. Just another GOP criticism without merit. If Afghanistan is so important, why did President Bush never visit it, and why did he start the war in Iraq before finishing the job in Afghanistan? Yes, our military in the Afghani theater deserve the attention and a visit from their Commander in Chief, President Obama is trying to repair some burned bridges left behind by President Bush. Big story...

April 8, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Wayne, ca

Who care anymore what republicans say. Regardless where Obama goes they always will have negative comments because they are finnisched and done with.

April 8, 2009 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. naqib

Nothing like a VIP rent-a-crowd

"I know you guys just worked a 16 hour shift... but we need you in the mess hall at 1500... and you better be smiling!"

This is likely correct though... the people there represent a large portion of the military that voted for him... not that the dems let absentee ballots count anyway... (see Minnesota)

April 8, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. Douglas, Hollywood

President Obama is doing the best he can and a pretty great job at that. I'm sure he will visit Afganistan at some point. Some people just need to stop critizing him and get on board to make America the great country it once was. I know we are on the right track and so do millions of others.

April 8, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  7. Thomas

"Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan before he went to Iraq."

Lemme get this straight. We have a journalist telling another journalist his opinion.

And this is newsworthy why exactly?

Must have been a real slow news day when the media is stooping to interviewing each other for news.

April 8, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  8. Thomas

Bobby who ?
    I'm glad Bobby dosn't work for Better Homes and Gardens.

April 8, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  9. Steven

April 8, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  10. Jim

It is always good for a President of the United States of America to visit our troops.

Unfortunately the critics criticize just the sake of criticizing, this obstructionism.

Thank GOD for President OBAMA who is really showing excellent leadership.

April 8, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. Veronica

Some people are never happy.But then again president Obama,thats not your job!!

In my eyes you are doing great!..may God Bless,sir!

April 8, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. Steven

Bill, I'm here. Ex-military, two-tours in Iraq, and a supporter of Obama. The military is a not an accurate poll simply because we are charged with supporting our current commander in chief. If you say we liked Bush, it was simply because we are duty bound to. And by the way, NAQIB, I was a CAPTAIN too, you need to get yourself straight!

April 8, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  13. Film Professor

Critics are kind of like cockroaches; there are always new ones ready to step forward.

We currently have many more troops in Iraq, plus the problem with Afghanistan (and Pakistan) is that they are completely unsafe - and that is why we are sending more troops there, something W should have done from the beginning instead of starting the war in Iraq.

April 8, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. James

Bobby Ghoush is the reason I quit reading times. I'll start again if they ever get rid him.

April 8, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  15. Joe in NJ

"FreeNLovIt April 8th, 2009 11:43 am ET

His job is to travel the world"

It is not and I can't imagine that anyone would come up with such an idea. I have no problem though with Obama visiting troops or making overseas trips when it is in the interest of the U.S. to do so.

April 8, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  16. Daniel Mayinja

Did you say Bobby Idiot?? I wasn't quite sure ... darn reporters!

April 8, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  17. Mel

Just more whining from the "just say no" party. Tired of hearing it.

April 8, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  18. Jonita

The Nit-Picking against the President becomes more "Pathetic" by the day..

April 8, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I think the President is sending the right message with his visit to Iraq. His visit should definitely motivate and boost the morale of the troops. What did you expect him to do? He was in a neighboring country with American troops at war next door.

April 8, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. Franky

You know, good point but come on, let's be fair. It was a surprised, now everyone wants thinks they know what crossword goes in...

And let's talk numbers, people don't care about Iraq, which makes me kind of sad that my fellow Americans don't care about it over there, heck sometimes I think that we just don't care about it, is it my boy's fault because he said he was gonna end it? Maybe. Is it former President Bush's fault? Maybe. Is it our fault? Maybe. But overall, we are in this situation, there's no other choice and I think that's right people don't care. I'm not gonna lie guys but people in fact tired of this crap, they are tired of this...

April 8, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  21. rob

I agree with most here, who cares where he goes first but we do have many more troops in iraq that have done the most work.

@Wayne, ca
    Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine

This guy is definately not a republican.

April 8, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. Ken from missouri

It was his presidential duty to go and see the troops they put their lives
    on the line everyday over there the least he could do is to go and talk with them.

April 8, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  23. my

why it would be wrong?

April 8, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. ddave

Maybe the next time the President will check in with you for you to approve his travel schedule, since your experience asa magazine editor gives you greater knowledge than anyone could possible have in the Presidential Cabinet.

April 8, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. MESA MICK

With empty, ill conceived comments like this one now you know why Ghosh is working as a "yellow journalist" for a "pop culture weekly rag" and never made it as a serious, reasoned voice in the big leagues...

April 8, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |