April 8th, 2009

Iraq wrong visit for Obama?

(CNN) - Bobby Ghosh, Senior Editor Time Magazine, tells CNN's Kiran Chetry the president should have visited Afghanistan before he went to Iraq.

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. boered1

@ Bill in California who said "ALL OF YOU B.O. SUPPORTERS who have actually been in the military and faced the enemy face to face hold up your hands. "
    _____________________________________________________

Notice my hand raised high, 21 years served, fought in the justified war in iraq, fought in the unjustified invasion of Iraq, NEVER supported the idiot bush , did not supp0ort reagan who did more to destroy this country than any president except your hero GW I did not support Clinton either since he was an idiot. I FULLY SUPPORTED and SUPPORT PRESIDENT OBAMA though, while never serving in uniform he served a different way (I will not even talk about Cheney and deferments of your hero GW getting into the guard to keep him out of Vietnam and then getting an early release during a time of real war to campaign while he extended enlistments during a fake war while in office). You see not all military blindly believed the radical religious right lies about democrats hating our country, some of us looked at the real records and knew better, the military tends to draw in peoiple who tend to be more parochial, while colleges tend to draw people who tend to be more progressive thinkers. In this country we have room for both what we do NOT have room for is the looney left and the radical religious right, extremeist not far removed from Al-Queada in their reasoning.. and I see many of them here on these psot and you are one. So see my hand waving.. can you meet my 21 years? Did not think so

April 8, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Neither Party '12

Somebody doesn't have a godly opinion of Obama? Must be a Republican, Bush loving, gun-toting, freedom hating redneck! Grow up, people have the right to discuss what the president does or doesn't do. Democrats seemed to do this a lot in Bush's later years, but let's conveniently forget about that because Obama is our savior. I'm amazed that CNN is reduced to reporting on what journalists are discussing.

April 8, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. Robert

I wonder if Bobby Ghosh would say that to the soldiers in Iraq.

April 8, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. Sharon, Illinois

It doesn't matter what Obama does, it will always be wrong for some people. I get so tired of the wannabees out there, they who have all the answers but don't have the guts or stamina to actually do something. Obama is human and will make mistakes but it is refreshing to see a president giving it his all 24-7. I agree with him when he says if the fixes were easy they would have been done already. All of our problems are complicated and, if that weren't enough, he has the party of "no" to deal with at every turn. I'm at the point now that if nothing gets done, I won't be blaming Obama, he's working as hard as any one person can.

April 8, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. obama/mama

Bill in California April 8th, 2009 11:59 am ET

ALL OF YOU B.O. SUPPORTERS who have actually been in the military and faced the enemy face to face hold up your hands. If you recall the military presidential polls were overwhelmihgly in favor of GEORGE W. BUSH. There is a reason for that. They don't need smooth lines and a phony smile to feel that they and their mission is important enough to get the best equipment and total support of THEIR Commander in Chief. I'm sure that his intended Department of Defense budget cuts ARE NOT fodder for his public relations motivated speeches.
    __________________________________________________

I didn't see any of the troops complaining. They were so happy to see our President. What are you talking about. Do you even have a smile?

April 8, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. Ken in NY

Will there be anything that Obama can do that will not generate 'back seat' 'second guessing' of the duelly elected president? If all the nay sayers spend as much effort in trying to find a workable solution to our problems as they did cutting down anybody else that put in a positive effort, we would not be in this mess.

April 8, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I'm guessing the people that object to President Obama's visit to Iraq had no problem with it when Bush showed up and paraded around with a fake turkey one Thanksgiving Day in Iraq.

April 8, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. INDEPENDANT VET

BIG BIG QUESTION , WHY ARE WE HEARING IN THE BACK GROUND OF ALL THESE FORIGN COUINTRIES , THAT THEY SEE OBAMA SAYING ONE THING AN DOING ANOTHER . THEY SAY ALL THEY ARE HEARING IS LIES AND MORE LIES. WE KNOW AS THEY KNOW ,OBAMA IS BANKRUPTING THIS COUNTRY . PEROID.

FOR THOSE THAT KEEP SAYING OBAMA IS DOING A GOOD JOB. WELL THEY MUST RECEIVED THERE 2ND STIMULUS. OR THEY GOT THERE HOME PAID OFF . FOR HOW MANY OF US NEVER RECEIVED THE FIRST CHECK, THE ILLEGALS WERE FIRST WRIGHT MADAM PELOSI !!!

April 8, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. Cookie Long

WELL DONE PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!

April 8, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Tewodros

Thomas,

Well said!

Since when is another journalist's opinion news?

April 8, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. ANGIE

Wayne, ca April 8th, 2009 12:12 pm ET

Who care anymore what republicans say. Regardless where Obama goes they always will have negative comments because they are finnisched and done with.
    _______________________________________________________
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. Rushlican Charlotte, NC

You would just know that someone, somewhere would find something about which to be critical. This is just media BS!

April 8, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. James

This idiot is one of the reasons why so many of our news papers and news magazines have went down the toilet. News is suppose to be un-bias and now the great institution that was Time has now stooped to a new low with this piece of garbage that they have working for them. Report the facts, not your stupid opinion!!!! In my opnion the President represented the best of what is America to the rest of the world this past week – and my question: why can't anyone comment on that?!!!!

April 8, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Jimmy the Greek

Does it REALLY matter where Obama goes??

The guy is just an empty suit flying around the world, reading a teleprompter, bowing to the Saudis, and spending tax-dollars like a socialist.

I wish he'd fly over the Northern Pakistan provinces... flying slow, low, in broad daylight!

April 8, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Bridgette-PA

Oh yea Bobby, well let me speak to you're wife and kids so they can tell me all of the things you "should have done". MORON!

April 8, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. Corbett

Say that to the faces of the troops in Iraq and see what they say. Then say that to the face of the troops in Afghanistan and see if they really think their buddies in Iraq don't deserve a visit from the president.

April 8, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. barack obama is still just B.O.

It ceases to amaze me that there are those on here that praise everything obama does without question, even if it is just following Bush's ideas, and then there are those that criticize every thing he does no matter what it is.

Me, I think he's an inexperienced joke for the most part who is arrogant and totally hung up on himself but I could probably find at least 1 or 2 things that I agree with that he has done. Can't think of them offhand, but I am sure there must be at least 1.

April 8, 2009 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  18. Kim- GA

Why is Bobby Gnosh trying to prevent troops from having a innocent visit with their commander in chief. He should be a reporter and not an editor in my opinion.

April 8, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  19. bern

Stupid article. I guess it must be a slow day CNN. The president went to Iraq and he gets to make that decision. I think he will deal with visiting Afghanastan at the appropriate time.

Can we please get news and not busy work for "reporters"

April 8, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. Simmy

They can't even keep the public reading their magazines and newspapers. With so many of them going out of business, tell him to find a remedy for that, and leave the President's agenda to his staff.

The medium have given themselves too much power. On one end there's John King, using his show to promote Republican agendas. On the other end, there's Limbaugh, spewing his hatred for the President. If he listened to, and or followed their advice, he'd be as misguided as Sarah Palin and John McCain.

Shut up, all of you, and let him do his job!!!!

April 8, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  21. Tim

Obama went to Iraq so that he can get credit for the victory. You know, the victory he declared loast last summer. Anyone who thinks is anything more than that is a tool.

April 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. Laurie

Propaganda........Smile pretty for the camera.....

April 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. Troy from NJ

I see Bobby Ghosh took the same geography course as John McCain. Turkey is right next to Iraq. So I assume President Obama should have flown over Iraq landed in Afghanistan. Yup that would have been smart then Mr. Ghosh and Sean Hannity new talking point would be how Obama disrespected the troops in Iraq by not visting them.

Give it a break! The Troops seems to love his visist and their reaction to the Presidents visit show it was the right trip.

April 8, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Diana NJ

I can't believe this one.. no matter what he does, it is the wrong thing. I listened to some STUPID Senator yesterday morning. on Morning JOE.. saying how the GOP will sweep the elections because Obama's popularity has gone down... the balance of the day heard from all the other networks on how he maintains the trust of the American people..

April 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Tim

Renea,

Rose colored glasses tend to make you see everything rosy.

April 8, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |