April 8th, 2009

The Obamas 'secret weapon'

(CNN) – CNN's Erica Hill looks at the special relationship between Michelle Obama and her mother, Marian Robinson.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. S Callahan

Michele to me is the essence of a woman who holds career, family, faith and values all together.....She is what a woman is really about in this century.....and she knows the burdens that are carried with it.
    The honor to her Mother is well deserved because Michele's essence comes from her. Lovely article and great tribute..this would have been perfect for Mother's Day.

April 8, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. Pepou

Mrs Robinson raised her daughter with love. She succeeded magnificently.

April 8, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  3. Luke Brown

Is Marian available to be my mother-in-law?

Michelle = World Class First Lady

April 8, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. annick

They are just a very real first family model. God bless them as they continue to inspire America

April 8, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. naqib

For the first time in my adult life... I'm proud of Marian Robinson... A Typical Mother

April 8, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. New Day

Wow, I hope Obama has a better weapon than that to deal with our issues. Don't get me wrong, I love Michelle and am glad the Obama's are in the White House but, I would rather the "secret weapon" be a successful working plan of how to get out of this mess.

April 8, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. Michael M. Noonan

My God, they're a family. This is news, CNN?

April 8, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  8. patNY

The First Grandmother. Love it!

April 8, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  9. jdailey

GAG ME!!!!!!!

April 8, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  10. Farrell, Houston, Tx

This is a true example for all American women to "honor, love and respect" ourselves. We are all too important to our families and communities regardless of our marital status. Being a mother and grandmother myself, without perfection as well as many others, I know the value we can instill in our children and grandchildren. Lead by example and your rewards too will be greatness.

April 8, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. Oh Boy!!!???

Coo coo ka chew Mrs Robinson.

April 8, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. Cathy

Michelle

Please take off those belts...

April 8, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  13. Bob in Pa

Please. There are better things in the news than teh First Grandma.

April 8, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  14. Sharon Kitchen

she is great.

April 8, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Patty

The Palin family should observe the family life of the OBAMAS and learn what love is.

April 8, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. awaitingmoderationby CNN

I knew that CNN/National Enquirer would have to run a puff piece on the Obamas as soon as I saw the piece on Briston Palins boyfriend. Go to Fox and get some real news.

April 8, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. Saad

Cute....

April 8, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. Lori

The Obamas = Real family values. Republicans take note.

April 8, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Ed's Kate

What a great family. It is a terrific change to see such down to earth, loving people in the White House. They are a true example of what any family should be like. Having grown up with my grandparents living with us it is an experience I wish all children could have. There is a saying that goes: "There's no place like home except Grandma's".
    It is even better when Grandma or Grandpa (or both) live in the same house. What great memories these Obama children will have in the years to come.

April 8, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. geecee

How fortunate Michelle is to have such a wonderful mother. And the children could not have asked for a better grandma. She truly is the "unsung hero" of the family, as President Obama said of her. It must be great knowing you have to be away from your kids for a week or so, but they could not be in better care than if you were with them yourself at every moment. God Bless this lovely family.

April 8, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  21. Kewpie

Okay, I like Obama too but come on, this is not news.

April 8, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  22. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Interesting that the Democratic First Family can have such great Republican family values. So, the Republicans are right about that working.

BUT it is apparrent that Republicans can not obey their own advise...i.e. Sarah Palin.

As they say..."Those who can't do...."

April 8, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  23. Lynn

No, the first lady and her mother are not "secret weapons". They are both genuine, loving, strong and intelligent women. Michelle Obama was appreciated in Europe because of her open, articulate, down to earth and compassionate nature.

To deem her as a weapon is ridiculous as it suggests there is something calculated about their motives and actions. They are popular for exactly the opposite.

April 8, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  24. TM in CO

I love this family, but it just galls me to think that not only are we as taxpayers are paying the bills for the First Family, but we are also paying them for Michelle's mom. Geeze. I wish I could find someone to pay my rent, utilites, water, phone, cable and give me a fleet of helicopters and a plane to fly around in.. All that on top of $400k a year....................

April 8, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  25. Busy drooling

As a drooling liberal, i think this is an outstanding news piece. I mean, who other than the great Michelle Obama could actually love her own mother.

My, oh my, if only the rest of the country was able to love their mothers the way Michelle does.

Can someone get me a bib?

April 8, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |