April 9th, 2009

Clinton team offers American Idol tickets to backers

Hillary Clinton's camp is offering up a 'once in a lifetime opportunity' to her supporters: American Idol season finale tickets.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton's camp is offering up a "once in a lifetime opportunity" to her supporters: American Idol season finale tickets.

In an e-mail sent to online supporters on the former democratic presidential candidate's e-mail list serve, democratic strategist James Carville solicited donations from backers to help Clinton pay off her campaign debt.

A contribution will enter participants in a contest to win one of three prizes: a day attending events with former President Bill Clinton followed by "your own special weekend" in New York City, a lunch and political conversation in DC with Democratic political strategists James Carville and Paul Begala, or the chance to attend the American Idol season finale in Los Angeles.

"Your contribution today not only gives you the chance at winning one of these fantastic prizes – it'll also help our dear friend, Hillary Clinton, pay off the very last of her campaign debt," Carville appeals in the e-mail.

Upon suspending her campaign in June 2008, Clinton's debt peaked at $25.2 million, but has since dropped to less than $6 million.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Popular Posts
  1. Bob in Pa

Barack, Barack ! Hillary needs a bailout, quick !

April 9, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Mike

Sure why not? Don't we all have money laying around that we have nothing better to do with it?

What a sad, pathetic way to pay off your own debt.

too bad we can't all get others to pay off our debt.

April 9, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. Kelby In Houston, TX

I love you Hillary...But I don't love American Idol that much...good luck paying down the rest of your debt

April 9, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. Kathy S. Cloughn

I just shot in a donation even tho I am close to the max. Get out there guys and lets get rid of this debt so we can concentrate on 2016.

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 9, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  5. Charlotte Barnard

More proof that politics is entertainment, and our officials clowns. If she'd been elected, would she have suggested this to pay down the national debt?

April 9, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  6. John Hargis Sr

Mrs Clinton; Your position in government is to represent EVERY American reguardless of party, you are discriminating against American's and insulting your office.

April 9, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Austin

Fantastic Idea!

April 9, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. bj, Texas

How pathetic is this stunt? Let's add another category. How about the winner gets to throw shoes at the telepromter in chief and his regime of village idiots.

April 9, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. Lynn

Hillary is doing an excellent job as Secretary of State...I have never seen her look healthier or happier. The lose was hard on her but I think she got the right job for her in the end.

April 9, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

Gingerich is the only one that seem to talk sense these days from the Republican party. Maybe a third party will get the country back on track.

April 9, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. Deborah

Never waist a good crisis............

I thought Barry said he'd pay off your dept if you left the race?

Did he break that promise as well?

Good luck with that.......

April 9, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  12. Beth, Starkville, MS

Rumor has it she had all her staffers power-voting for David Cook last season. He performed for her at Carnegie Hall last year. Hey, I'm a big ol' "Word Nerd," but I wasn't running for president! Just sayin'.

April 9, 2009 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  13. Jeff- Texas

Typical Democrat politician, spend more than you have, then ask for money from the people who really work for it.

April 9, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. David

I am here with no health insurance... and if I pulled a stunt like this, I would be taxed to no end for any money I received for an "Idol Drawing!"

Oh, and I have no job. If I had a job, I would have health insurance. I am diabetic. Where do I turn, Hillary?

April 9, 2009 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. Franky

I gotta say, that's a nice gesture...but come on, you still haven't paid of your debt? Geez, and everyone is worrying about the budget, LOL!!

For crying out loud folks, only ONE time in history we were off debt, give me some FACTS, not solutions. ...Ohh and for the record, yes, yes Democrats could do whatever the heck they want, LOL!! The people let em and they LOVE it...in your face GOP! What do you got, huh? All you got is...Bush's memories, that's all you got, LOL!!!

April 9, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. Marshall

Give me a break! I think she make way more than I do. Will she then help me with my debt?

April 9, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  17. Mel

Meh. Oh well.

Just love how the Republicans twisted this to mean something it doesn't. How arrogant.

April 9, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. SallySusy

Did her stimulus check get lost in the mail? Maybe she should ask "NOBAMA" for his foreign donor list and she could hit them up!

April 9, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  19. boered1

the liar hillary never ceases to amaze me, I cannot wait until President Obama has a chance, after fixing the economy destroyed by years of neglect, and ending a watr we should never have been in, and fixing another war we should have finsihed long ago, and restoring America's image abroad.. oh wait he cannot do that with the liar hillary out there, anyway after he has taken care of the really important things Ihope he gets around to firing the liar hillary for her incompetence.. she did so well with North Korea right.. right...

April 9, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. Viet Vet

With all the money that wa donated to all the candidiates running for various offices this past year- how about setting up an account to accepts donations to pay down our national debt? In this way we can actually show our kids and grandkids we really do care about their future. Anybody want to put their money where there Mouth is?
    Lets git-er done people-This really is bi-partisan and may bring the libs and conservatives and independent and all-americans together in something.

April 9, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. Franky

Did you guys see that? Fox News turned into American Idol! LOL!!!

Hilarious! Everybody is cracking up over here...and by the way, tell that drunk Glenn Beck that next time when he uses that Constitution, make sure his signature is in there...

LOL!!! American Idol...

April 9, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  22. Jack

I love Hillary! I'm gonna start donating so I can win a trip to hang out with Bill!

April 9, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. wyoming dem

What's next, her pantsuits on Ebay??? If someone really wants to help her with her debt, they shouldn't have to be prompted with any special chance at a prize. How are they going to pay for Chelsea's wedding???

April 9, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  24. Steve In California

I'd make a donation, if she hadn't been spending money like a drunken sailor well after it was time to bow out of the primary. What is it these days with these people? Bankers almost destroy our economy due to greed and poor leadership, and we bail them out. The auto industry ignores what the public wants, and moves to new technologies that the Japanese adopted a decade ago with all the agility of a tree sloth, and we bail them out. Hillary shows a complete disregard for campaign fiscal good sense, and we bail her out? I think not. She and her husband are quite wealthy. They don't need a bail out. They need a dose of reality. You run your debts up. YOU pay for them. You can keep your American Idol tickets. I'm not a 12-year-old girl. I'm not interested.

April 9, 2009 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  25. Dave NYC

Ouch, come on: Like the Clinton's don't have enough money to pay their own debt! This is reminding me too much of the Democratic primary, no wonder American didn't nominate Hillary!

April 9, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |