April 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain mum on potential Palin Support

(CNN) - She's become decidedly more outspoken since her father lost his bid for the presidency last November, but there's one question Meghan McCain refuses to answer: whether she sees herself supporting Sarah Palin should the Alaska governor run for president.

In an interview on CNN's "No Bias, No Bull" Wednesday night, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain said she couldn't "possibly make a prediction about 2012 right now."

"I honestly don't think that's a relevant question," McCain said when asked if she would support her father's running mate. "I have to find out who is running in 2012, I mean, what - there's broad personalities that happen. And it's four years from now. A lot of things can happen. A lot of things can change.

"...I have to see who else is on the table."

It's not the first time the usually blunt McCain daughter has gone silent on the issue of the former vice presidential candidate. McCain told an interviewer in January, "Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won't comment on publicly."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Susan

I would be "mum" on her as well. She's the biggest flop there is and in my personal Opinion she is a huge Lair! She has a lust for higher office but she basically ruined her chances. Palin should have turned the offer down immediately she wasn’t ready period.

Worst embarrassment then Dan Qualye! It was so obvious that she wasn’t qualified and she wondered why John McCain and Camp didn’t want her to do interviews. However he did pick her out of desperation and she basically proved to the US that she was appallingly ignorant. Just look at the interviews she gave after the election and now fussing with an 18 year old. I must admit I did attend one of the rally's out of curiosity and changed my vote preference when I left because I felt she was enjoying the limelight and was not prepared to be in the White House with all the drama that was surfacing and she sounded silly!

I couldn’t believe, how scripted she was during the debate not answering direct questions – she acted like the two teens that she promoted as being in love throughout the entire debate or should I say the Sarah SNL Skit. Can’t call it a debate because she was just pitiful.

April 9, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. MikeMaz

To question people on the 2012 election is irrelevant and irresponsible. Man we are so tired from the past election that to ask a question like that is utterly pointless.

April 9, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. ANGIE

Megan seems like a smart woman (who CAN complete a sentence). Which means she has palin beat already. She probably didn't want to say what others and the American population in general already knows, palin is an idiot, liar and still can't complete a sentence. I know there are other women in politics that are WAY more qualified to be president then palin. PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Had mcsame put more time into picking a running mate we would not have been forced to endure that alasken idiot.

April 9, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

I honestly think Meghan McCain supports President Obama.

April 9, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. Jerry

Finally some one has told her who butters her bread , silence is a virtue when you are uninformed dearest.

April 9, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  6. Independent

Very Wise Answer!!!

April 9, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  7. Ed

I agree it is too early for Meghan to offer a comment; however, she seems to have a lot of common sense. I doubt she would support Palin.

Ed
    Bucks County PA

April 9, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Steven

come on, it is almost four years away.

What do you expect her to do? Of course, everybody should wait and see.

I really did not get this news!

April 9, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  9. Rayan Hafiz

I wonder why the McCains till today can not admit that Sarah Palin was the worst decision the old McCain made for his campaign?

Is it so hard to say they are not supporting her anymore? is it so hard to say that almost every other candidate is definitely has better qualities?

Please McCains, say it.. you will be proud!! and will not feel guilty anymore!!!

April 9, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. M

Smart Lady!

April 9, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. James Joyce

Why does the left continue with the Palin soap opera? Who cares. Levi is a turkey which doesn't say much for Bristol either. Let's think about more important things. The odds of Palin running in 2012 are small. Why expend more energy to discredit her? The election is over. Move on.

April 9, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  12. Joyce E Neal

This addiction with Sara Palin has got to stop. The ex-boyfriend is surely looking for a book or movie contract entitled "Almost The Vice-President's Son-in-Law". And does it matter who plans to support Sarah Palin if she should decide to make a 2012 run for the White House?

April 9, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Shadysider

Meghan is trying to avoid the wrath of the GOP machine. She saw what she has aready started by her preivous comments and is trying to hold her tounge. I think Meghan is correct in her assessment. The GOP needs to change who it is. They used to be the fiscally conservative party, but Bush destroyed that idea. Currently I view them as the scare-mongers who try to frighten you into voting for them. The GOP needs to cut the Coulter/Hannity/Limbaugh/Palin faction lose and go back to economic conservatism and maybe become more liberal in their social stances because they are on the wrong side of every one of the social issues.

April 9, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  14. kcl

"Meghan McCain mum on potential Palin Support", let's just all follow suit !!! On Palin period !!!

April 9, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  15. PapaMonkey

At least she isn't one of these mindless morons who are already putting their vote behind an Obama 2nd term, only months into his first. Sheep...

April 9, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  16. themoi

This is news? Get with it CNN–the country is going down the tubes by leaps and bounds and all you can do is ask this fool about 2012? At the rate we're going we may be a 3rd world country by 2012 and won't even have elections but a dictatorship instead! Get back to the REAL news–not the pseudo news.

April 9, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  17. Same Old White House

If Meghan is the future of the party, I will vote 3rd party.

April 9, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  18. mike

Roland Martin asked a stupid question/s, and got the answer he deserved. His rephrasing a question is very transparent.

April 9, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  19. phoenix86

Her dad lost the race because he didn't galvanize the republican base, and running on a platform of "I was against my party" doesn't get anyone energized to go out and work for his election. That said, McCain got 46% of the popular vote. Had he been more traditional and values oriented, he would be in the White House (and America would be in much better shape domestically and internationally).

But he lost, and we can wait until 2010 to remove Speaker Pelosi and then 2012 to remove Obama.

April 9, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  20. lynn in NM

Whoc ares? Megan is nothing more than the child of a politician. She has had her 10 minutes of fame on her daddy's back.

April 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. so what

why does anybody care what this woman thinks?

April 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. bob in LA

Good for her! As she said- it's four years from now. Can we please not push election starts as far back as we have Christmas- Oh by the way- Happy Thanksgiving!

April 9, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  23. Mark Dover, Delaware

John McCain would have done better had he picked Meghan! She's way smarter than Sarah!

April 9, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  24. Jeff W.

I like this Meghan even if she is a republican. I suspect that she's more democrat than republican though. Of course she's not going to support Palin, would anyone in their right mind support the vapid Palin? Come on folks, the joke's over. I assume the America now realizes that Palin is not very bright and that a potential presidential bid would only end in failure. Actually, I hope she runs, it's would be so much fun to watch her once again flounder as she finds herself in way over her head. Do you think she's at least reading a newspaper now?

April 9, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. Sick of this crap

2012? Seriously? How about we focus on fixing the economy so that we can ensure we'll still have the United States in 2012?

April 9, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |