April 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain mum on potential Palin Support

(CNN) - She's become decidedly more outspoken since her father lost his bid for the presidency last November, but there's one question Meghan McCain refuses to answer: whether she sees herself supporting Sarah Palin should the Alaska governor run for president.

In an interview on CNN's "No Bias, No Bull" Wednesday night, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain said she couldn't "possibly make a prediction about 2012 right now."

"I honestly don't think that's a relevant question," McCain said when asked if she would support her father's running mate. "I have to find out who is running in 2012, I mean, what - there's broad personalities that happen. And it's four years from now. A lot of things can happen. A lot of things can change.

"...I have to see who else is on the table."

It's not the first time the usually blunt McCain daughter has gone silent on the issue of the former vice presidential candidate. McCain told an interviewer in January, "Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won't comment on publicly."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Barbara - Atlanta

My mom always said, "if you can't find anything good to say about a person, say nothing at all."

April 9, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. Chugiak Observer

The only politician talking about 2012 is Palin (ad-nauseam). After that she'll be talking about 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028 and coming up with new reasons to blame others for her losses (MSM, Tina Fey, Levi, etc., etc.). The only solution is probably to sell Alaska back to the Russians, but they probably wouldn't take it if she's part of the deal.

April 9, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  3. Ghost

Phoenix, that is so not true. McCain lost because he ran a campaign based on half truths, outright fabrications and inciting a (hopefully) fringe element in America to the point where their rallies looked like a scene out of Mississippi Burning. He also made several mistakes, like saying our econmy was strong (right before it fell like an anvil in a Bugs Bunny cartoon), halted his campaign to accomplish nothing, and lastly, picked a MILF with no substance as his VP candidate. Not to mention his association and almost blind total support of W.

April 9, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. Deborah/Kansas City

I am a liberal and I think Megan McCain is on the right track, for reinventing the GOP. She is right in my opinion that the Republican party has been hijacked by extremists and religious fanatics. She is learning how to play the diplomat; in refusing to support any candidate for 2012. Why give, Sara the Pitbull, any reason to come after her; which Governor Palin clearly would. See how Mrs Palin is treating her grandbaby's father? I think, we all knew the relationship between the teenagers, was a falsehood, when they paraded Levi and the pregnant Bristol, at the RNC during the election. Most everything, Sara Palin says, is strictly motivated for political gain, personal gain, or just publicity. Sara will attack anyone, who disagrees, or criticizes her views with a vengence. Why would an intelligent, rational young woman subject herself to that and give the Governor what she wants? I'm glad they didn't ask her about Bobby Jindal. In 4 years hopefully there will be more numerous, thoughtful, respectful, educated young Republicans. We need views from all angles to continue our Democracy.

April 9, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  5. southernyankee

What the heck does anyone care who Megan McCain supports. It won't make a difference to me or anyone else. Really who cares.

April 9, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  6. Big George in Big D

No, she is not smart – she is being used by the press because of her extreme vulnerability and screams for the limelight! In other words, she is being used, just the same Levi Johnston is. Pity these people can't see the forest for the trees.

April 9, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. chuck

Anyone with just a little bit of common sense will know that Sarah Palin is an idiot. She's a square peg in a round hole right now in Alaska. I'm sad to see a State like Alaska with so much of potential being mocked up by someone who has no clue of what is taking place. Having said that,I think Megan McCain is ashamed to put her father's decision to pick this idiot as his VP was trash.

April 9, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. Michigander

I see the media is still beating this dead horse. Palin will not be on anybody's radar by 2011. If by some miracle she manages to get on a primary ballot, she will come in third or worse, and then, finally, be finished with national politics.
    Meghan McCain is only around because people ask her opinions. Do we care? No, but she is at least able to finish a sentence and complete a thought.

April 9, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  9. Roland

I believe that most politicians and voters know enough now to distance themselves from the hash and trash and the antics that went on during the Presidential Race.

April 9, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  10. yen

McCain's daughter, Maghen makes all the sense in the world to me. The Gop should cultivate young people like her for their future. She belongs to the future . To ask her about Palin or about her dad for that matter is anfair .

April 9, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. barking dogs

She doesnt want to look as stupid as her dad I guess.

April 9, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. KLK

If you really listen to Meghan you will hear that she's really not very insightful. Her opinion only seems to matter because she's John McCain's daughter.

April 9, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  13. Andrea

Meghan McCain ROCKS! And I voted for Obama. She is sharp as a tack, and comes accross as sincerely honest. If she ran for office, I just might consider HER for president in 2012.

April 9, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  14. Bafun

The question was clear "if" she runs for President. Her answer is also clearly a "no", also if not spoken.

April 9, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. John

Anyone who knows right now who they will be voting for in 2012 is nuts. And committing support now, without knowing what the options will be, is foolish. There may be someone more Obama than Obama is. There may be someone more Palin than she is.

So Ms. McCain is only intelligent to hold her cards close for now.

April 9, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Norman

What are Meghan's qualifications to be put in the political spotlight like this? I find it obvious that she's using a mixture of her fathers name and tabloid-esque gossip (opinionated observations) to make a name for herself politically.

April 9, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  17. Ahhhhhhhh!!

Yes, she is waiting to see if any of the other people running in 2012 are sane.

April 9, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. Franky

You know, she is a bit outspoken and I don't know, I think she should slow it down. I understand what she's trying to do and what she's trying to say, I understand. And she is a very intelligent and smart woman, I ain't gonna do her bogus BUT if she ever wants to find her man, she gotta do better than that...

And is not me being bogus but come on, she's making it sound like she's the microcosm of Republicanism and this is what they should do and so forth. If I was her, I'll just leave the GOP alone, they got enough problems and if they weren't best friends with her father, what makes you think then? I know what she's doing, I know what's she's trying to say but who cares about them. I'm sure she cares because is her fathers party but come on, I GUARANTEE you she thought about it when he was elected...ohh yeah, I can see it in her eyes and emotions, I'm just that good...

April 9, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Mel

I find this incredibly amusing. Megan McCain obviously doesn't think much of Palin but, since her dad supports Palin, she's doing the politic thing and keeping her mouth shut so her dad doesn't get mad at her. If she actually supported Palin, she'd just say it.

April 9, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. Sniffit

Well, it appears at least one young GOPer has learned that when you have nothing nice to say, you should say nothing at all lol :-)

April 9, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. G. SMITH

Sarah Palin has more Brains than any Democrat , we have an idiot in the White House and anybody who voted for him should get an education in Politics and Economics. Obama won the election in 2008 on the stupidity of the American People and we all have to pay for this.

By these comments we all know who the hateful people are, the liberal population.

April 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  22. patrick

Am a Dem and I like this girl. Lets hope this is the direction the GOP is going. We will all be better for it. I want to like the GOP again. We NEED two affable parties, not one at a time. We will get more done.

April 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. Sniffit

@ phoenix86, who claimed "Had he been more traditional and values oriented, he would be in the White House"

Wrong. He lost because (a) the thought of Palin anywhere near the "football" scared the bejesus out of every single rational person in the country and (b) social conservatism is DYING. Open your eyes "my friend"...if the GOP continues to flagellate domestic issues with socially conservative answers steeped in religiosity, they will go the way of the mammoth.

April 9, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. Mark

If the Republican Party has a future, it is in young moderate Republicans like Ms. McCain.

April 9, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Nelson Colorado Springs Co.

OK! But Meghan McCain choice