April 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain mum on potential Palin Support

(CNN) - She's become decidedly more outspoken since her father lost his bid for the presidency last November, but there's one question Meghan McCain refuses to answer: whether she sees herself supporting Sarah Palin should the Alaska governor run for president.

In an interview on CNN's "No Bias, No Bull" Wednesday night, the daughter of Arizona Sen. John McCain said she couldn't "possibly make a prediction about 2012 right now."

"I honestly don't think that's a relevant question," McCain said when asked if she would support her father's running mate. "I have to find out who is running in 2012, I mean, what - there's broad personalities that happen. And it's four years from now. A lot of things can happen. A lot of things can change.

"...I have to see who else is on the table."

It's not the first time the usually blunt McCain daughter has gone silent on the issue of the former vice presidential candidate. McCain told an interviewer in January, "Sarah Palin is the only part of the campaign that I won't comment on publicly."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Joy

I agree with the individual who said that we should just hope we survive this next four years with Obama. He certainly appears to be setting up a dictatorship.

Pay attention to what he and his cohorts are doing to the American people – it better be stopped before there is no turning back.

April 9, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. Rick

Anybody who says that the media is not slanted to the left needs to look at all of the Meghan McCain stories that have come out lately and, if you're honest, you'll have to admit that the only reason we keep seeing her is because she is constantly bashing the republican party. Otherwise we would never have heard from her again.

April 9, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  3. Minnesotan

Anyone crazy enough to support Trailer Trash Palin, the queen of lies, cheating, shooting animals from helicopters, and per diem stealing, should have their head examined.

April 9, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. Michael Carr

If Meghan McCain said anything positive about Sarah Palin, she would quickly lose that "strange new respect" that is immediately bestowed the MSM on Republicans, who trash The Governor of Alaska.

April 9, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. Fitz in Texas

Guess the girl just couldn't let Levi get one up on her.

What's so sad is these young adults let people use them. You can bet if they were saying anything negative, the vultures (aka) Democrats, would be picking their bones clean.

April 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. Yea, right

Sounds like sour grapes, "G SMITH". I find it amusing that the GOP is having a complete meltdown. Bottom line: You are irrelevant. Nobody cares about a failed ideology anymore. Go listen to Rush and cry....

I guess we can all take Cheney's excuse: "stuff happens".

April 9, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. tennisguypitt

That's a good response. She's 100% correct.

Anything can happen...

April 9, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Shannon in IL

Meghan McCain is no dummy. Keeping quiet is a polite way of saying "Hell to the NO!", lol. And..... she probably doesn't want to stir up that hornet's nest by dissing her in the media.... can't say I blame her. The Palin Trash Talk Machine is in overdrive right now and I pity the poor victims (although I would be that Meghan could easily take Sarah in any battle, Sarah's short on wits.) But we get your message, Meghan. :-)

April 9, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  9. Triggidy

Hey, it's 2009. Calm down about 2012. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

April 9, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  10. David Chacon from Alaska

Meghan,

You're a first class lady, and I admire the obvious restraint it takes to avoid criticizing Palin.

I was an early support of your father's and only withdrew my support after he had chosen Palin as his VP pick.

Since I'm from Alaska, I already knew how Palin would poison any well she drank from.

Hang in there and I hope you can change the Republican Party.

April 9, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. clint

Thatsthe same as a No!!!!!!!

April 9, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. MLH

I'm with Meghan McCain. As an ardent supporter of our current president, I couldn't tell you right now if I would support him four years down the road. Besides, Meghan McCain's support or lack thereof is not going to be a deciding factor for Sarah Palin.

April 9, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. Dave in Illinois

Who cares what this airhead thinks??????

April 9, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  14. Jan, from Madison, WI

Hey G. SMITH, remember you are also American, this girl have more brains, the GOP power house put together. I really wish the GOP will listen to new and young generation in their party. I normally say the GOP's all speak from their stomach not fron their brains. They really need to wake-up from their sleep to realised that we are not in 20th century anymore, but in the 21st century. This lady will need to run for office, she have large following, maybe she needs to replace her father.

April 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  15. Robert

Romney/Crist 2012

April 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  16. Sniffit

@ Rick, who said "she is constantly bashing the republican party. "

No, she's really not. You just have that old guard denial problem with the concept of accountability that forces you to refuse admitting that her honest, constructive criticisms are accurate. The longer it takes for the GOP to admit it's errors of the past 3 decades or so, the more likely there will be no GOP within the next decade or so.

April 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. d.b.

If she really liked and supported palin and had positve things to say about her, she would have, they are both republicans. Megan is smart and doesn't want to make her father choices look bad. If the republicans really want to change their image they need to follow megans path!

April 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Sam

Jumping the gun a bit as we don't even know if Palin will be running.

April 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  19. rhoward

How does anyone know who they'll be voting for in 2012? Right now, a bunch of Republicans are jockeying to position themselves to run but it doesn't mean they can or will. Remember Rudy, Fred and Sam Brownback – all of them ran but none of them lasted long.

April 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  20. Howard

The Nine Most Frightening Words in the English Language:

According to Ronald Reagan, "I'm from the Federal Government. Let me help you."

According to Bill Maher, "I'm Sarah Palin, now show me the launch codes."

April 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  21. Fredrick

The only reason why this gets any attention is because she's the daughter of a prominent Republican senator and she expresses views that don't necessarily follow Conservative lines. The libs are just using it for divide and conquer, that's all.

April 9, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  22. PK California

Why are we hearing so much from McCain's daughter? She's just another person with an opinion! Joe the Plumber, Megan McCain, Levi Jonston..............DUH!!!!! Not news worthy!

April 9, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  23. David

Who really cares? This girl is just not relevant. Why is she constantly being featured on here? Baffling.

April 9, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. Steve In California

I think Meghan answered the question very clearly. By not jumping up and giving a rousing 'yes!" answer to the question, it's obvious what she thinks of Palin.

The Republicans have screwed it up badly, and can't seem to breatk out of the tail spin they're in. If they put Palin up as their candidate in the next round, the debacle will continue. And Ms. McCain is telling us all that.

April 9, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  25. Barriett

The Republican Party shouldn't care what liberals (who currently control the Democrats) and the anti-religious bigots want the party to look like or think.

That is why there are two parties; the two parties have basic philosophical differences on the way to run government. The day the Republican Party takes advice from Liberals is the last day you will see this independent (non-party affiliated) support them in any way.

Liberals are winning the public relations campaign right now, but there will come a time when blaming Bush (and ignoring the fact that Liberals have controlled congress for the last two years) for all the current problems will not work with independents anymore. It already doesn’t work for me any more.

April 9, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |