April 9th, 2009

Montel Williams wants to run for office

Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.
Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.

(CNN) - Does Montel Williams want to embark on the well-worn path from television personality to politician?

In a Thursday interview with Politico, Williams, who was a daytime talk show host for 17 years and is launching a radio show on Air America this week, said running for office is something he wants to do - just not anytime soon.

"The sight in mind is 17 years in radio - I may have to take a break for just a little while in those 17 years to run for office, but that won't be for at least ten years," he told Politico. " So you're going to be listening to me to persuade others to do the right thing, and then I'm going to step up myself."

Williams, who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is a prominent advocate for legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, also said he has had discussions at "multiple levels of government about the responsibility of us all who feel as if we have the audacity to open our mouths and complain about what happens in our society and then not step up to the plate to do something about it."

The best way to do something about it is through public service," he said.

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. First ya gotta ditch the earring to be respected as an adult.

April 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. carlo

He told this in an interview with Politico, of all sites? That in and of itself makes me nervous.

April 9, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. AndyL

Might as well go all the way

Square Pants Sponge Bob\Peter Griffin in 2012

That's the winning ticket!

April 9, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  4. Sweet Cee

I am not feeling you Montel.....go have a seat!!

April 9, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

What office does he want to run for? I'll vote for him if he's an advocate for legalizing marijuana.

April 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. LUISA FROM NYC NOW IN MD

Well Monty I wish you luck! You better get your stuff in order between now and then because you see what they are trying to do to President Obama. Once they get a hold of YOU they're going to try to tear you a new one!

So good luck to you. Lots of luck to you.

April 9, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  7. me aGAIN

has MS huh ? well, in 10 years, if he is like my son-in-law, he WONT be able to run for anything ! Nice thoughts though Montel..wish you best of luck with your MS...better luck than my son in law has had ! my son in law, in relatively short time, has gone to wheel chair, blind in one eye, nemerous other problems.,.nasty, dangerous disease...again, GOOD LUCK Montel with yours, as for running for office, I wouldnt vote for you..

April 9, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. julie in atlanta

I'd vote for you, Montel. GO FOR IT!

April 9, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  9. Fitz in Texas

We'll see what he has to say when he runs.

What little I do know about him, he certainly seems to be a person that will tell the truth on any subject.

April 9, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. mariahplay

how can anyone trust this man in public office. he put sylvia browne on his show every week.

April 9, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Mike Mundy, Houston, TX

Stay at home, Montel. You are better on TV. The last we need is another Liberal going to Washington or anywhere else for that matter!

April 9, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Truth

The Liberal Left will embrace him as they embrace all celebrities.

April 9, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  13. Baze

I guess every hollywood personality wants to get involved. Soon Congress will be a consortium of ex-movie stars and athletes.

April 9, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  14. Rob

GO MONTEL!

April 9, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Susan

oh yeah !! how abt Maury and Jerry Springer compete him?

April 9, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. Saad

Do us a favor, please don't. Thank you in advance.

April 9, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. Travis In Colorado

This is the guy who tried to see those bogus Barack Obama coins right? Oh my God that was so funny. Did Montel do any looking into what he was selling, or was it like how he did his show? Just talk as you go and don't matter what you're talking about, you're getting paid!

Anyone else but this guy!

April 9, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  18. david, CA

Run Montel Run!

April 9, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Dave NYC

Go for it Montel!

April 9, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. Linda

Why is this news? Montel might someday want to run for office. Well, maybe someday I will also.

April 9, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  21. Blue in Maine

He has teamed up with the drug companies to offer low cost prescriptions. In my book that puts him ahead of a lot of people who are already in congress.

April 9, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. yuri

We believe he has multiple sclerosis. Noneteheless we wish him well and may he achieve whatever he wants, providin' he proves his worth in a legal way.

April 9, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  23. James

Not sure if anyone heard the exchange between Rivera and Williams during 2008 elections. They discussed that it was time for “brown and black skinned people to band together to take the power back.” Not sure what that meant exactly ...but it didn’t sound very inclusive.

April 9, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  24. Blue in Maine

Good for you Montel.

April 9, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  25. Patrick

He seems like a smart guy and served his country in the military, I'd listen to him. I wonder if he'll run as a republican or democrat?

April 9, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |