April 9th, 2009

Montel Williams wants to run for office

Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.
Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.

(CNN) - Does Montel Williams want to embark on the well-worn path from television personality to politician?

In a Thursday interview with Politico, Williams, who was a daytime talk show host for 17 years and is launching a radio show on Air America this week, said running for office is something he wants to do - just not anytime soon.

"The sight in mind is 17 years in radio - I may have to take a break for just a little while in those 17 years to run for office, but that won't be for at least ten years," he told Politico. " So you're going to be listening to me to persuade others to do the right thing, and then I'm going to step up myself."

Williams, who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is a prominent advocate for legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, also said he has had discussions at "multiple levels of government about the responsibility of us all who feel as if we have the audacity to open our mouths and complain about what happens in our society and then not step up to the plate to do something about it."

The best way to do something about it is through public service," he said.

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. Brian

It's odd he's talking about these plans that won't happen for a decade though, still I think it would be a good idea. He's done a lot of good work with his programs offering prescriptions to low income families, he should elaborate on that and bring himself into politics sooner!

April 9, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. felicha from florida

Good news,

I've always like Montell Williams, I will make sure to tune into his radio show to listen to what he has to say.

Before I've always identified with his views more than not, so I'm excited about his new venture. I think he was in the Navy so that will serve him really well.

April 9, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. Adam from Ohio

Wasn't Montel Williams's most recent gig hawking those phony Obama "coins"–the ones in which the seller stuck stickers over U.S. currency and charged an arm and a leg? Yeah. Such integrity, Montel.

April 9, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  4. anita

yes, the rise of moonbat politics fighting for cannabis equality is taking on the mantle of CHANGE WE SHOULD BELIEVE IN

April 9, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. David in West Virginia

I am glad to see Montel Williams say he is considering running for a political office. He is more qualified than many of the idiots in the Republican Party and we could use someone with common sense. Run for Congress, please. The people of your district will be pleased to vote for you.

April 9, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  6. Ben

Run for office? He's already the Mayor of New Orleans.

April 9, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  7. Ann

No Way – Johnny Depp for President!!!
    He owns islands man. He would also solve this pirate problem!

April 9, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Jackie in Dallas

"...about the responsibility of us all who feel as if we have the audacity to open our mouths and complain about what happens in our society and then not step up to the plate to do something about it. The best way to do something about it is through public service."

Truer words never spoken, Montel. It is so easy to complain, to grouse, to see all the problems and make grand pronoucements about what must be done; it's a lot harder to step up to the plate and take responsibility and to actually do something about what we are complaining about. For all that the GOP ran down President Obama's record of community service, it is the cornerstone of efforts made to help those who need the help. Public service - in all its forms such as holding an office, doing volunteer work, community service, etc - is essential.

If you don't like how things are going, DO something about it - something constructive and active. Run for office, help an election committee, volunteer, sign petitions and help circulate them, whatever it takes to make your voice heard. I don't like how the government has abandoned the homeless (especially the veterans), so I do what I can. Find a cause, a reason, a political ideal, whatever, and LIVE it.

April 9, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. John

Maybe he can ask "World Renowned Psychic Silvia Browne" if he'll win an election.

April 9, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. jano

Just what we need, another pop figure running for public office. I heard that the reason for his last divorce was to marry a black woman. His marriage to his white wife just didn't settle well with other blacks.
    Montel is one of the biggest phonies around.,,,,,guess he WOULD fit into a political light....UGH, spare us the thought.,....

April 9, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Ron

Not a good idea for actors, talk show hosts, and the like to be in politics....they can act and we don't know if they are being real or not ...I do not trust actors, lawyers and such for obvious reasons...test should be developed and given to those who want to run for office...having the gift of gab and the cleverness of a lawyer ain't gonna cut it.......most of our current politicians are clever but not very smart.....many probably could not even score satisfactory of the SAT test ..

April 9, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. Michael in Houston, Texas

He will do good with something local but nothing national

April 9, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. JoelWhy

I would vote for him. He's been propping up dangerous frauds like Sylvia Browne for years.

April 9, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Bill Hobby Texas Democrat

Montel should run for the United States Senate in Maryland in 2016 once Mikulski FINALLY retires.

April 9, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. strong

Montel seems like an intelligent, dynamic man. I hope he goes for it.

ps... I wonder if Sylvia Browne "saw" the future and advized him to run for office ?

April 9, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  16. Marge

He's got my vote. A more caring, passionate individual you would have to look long and hard to find. Go for it Montel.....

April 9, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  17. Diana NJ

Montel would be an improvement over those Sheep that follow each other..

April 9, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. RSaundersPA

Montel Williams is a good man who can contibute to our country as an elected official. Like a number of other prominent politicians, he is a graduate of Annapolis and has served his country in uniform. I have personally talked with Midshipmen who have met with Mr Williams during his frequent visits to the academy and they respect him. BTW – I don't care which party he belongs to, it is the person that counts.

April 9, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Tim

He's as qualified as Obama, and way more intelligent.

April 9, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. Mike

Don't get me wrong I actually like Montel's show. Always have.
    But the last thing we need is someone who thinks they know how to do things better but have absolutely ZERO political experience, or for that matter any experience at all on how the system works, trying to run for office.
    Here in MN we are soon to learn the negative effects of just that. As soon as Al Franken starts his career in the Senate the state I call home will be dropped down several notches on the respectability scale.
    Thanks to all the voters out here who cast their ballot for him. I hope he isn't half as bad as I expect him to be. Then we might just be able to save the future for our children's children.

April 9, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  21. martha martin

Go for it, Montel. How dare folks complain and then just sit down and do exactly nothing! Although he is an advocate for the legalization of marijuana, this fact alone should enhance his opportunities on the political stage..

April 9, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Tim

I wonder if he feels America is a racist country, as the recent Democratic delegation to Cuba told Castro that they feel America is a racist country, per Fidel.

April 9, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. Spider

He couldn't get enough people to watch his TV show to stay on the air, his radio show will fare the same. Good luck getting anyone to vote for you. But by all means, run Monte, run. Should make for some funny lines from the late night comedians.

April 9, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. obama/mama

I guess Montell must have ran out of topics for his talk show. Everybody wants to be a politician.

April 9, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. joethedumber

He sold a bunch of fake "obama" coins on a infomercial, now he wants to be a politician. He will fit in.

April 9, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |