April 9th, 2009

Montel Williams wants to run for office

Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.
Montel Williams wants to run for office, he told Politico.

(CNN) - Does Montel Williams want to embark on the well-worn path from television personality to politician?

In a Thursday interview with Politico, Williams, who was a daytime talk show host for 17 years and is launching a radio show on Air America this week, said running for office is something he wants to do - just not anytime soon.

"The sight in mind is 17 years in radio - I may have to take a break for just a little while in those 17 years to run for office, but that won't be for at least ten years," he told Politico. " So you're going to be listening to me to persuade others to do the right thing, and then I'm going to step up myself."

Williams, who suffers from multiple sclerosis and is a prominent advocate for legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, also said he has had discussions at "multiple levels of government about the responsibility of us all who feel as if we have the audacity to open our mouths and complain about what happens in our society and then not step up to the plate to do something about it."

The best way to do something about it is through public service," he said.

Filed under: Popular Posts
  1. Terry, TX

Please no....not another celebrity....why do they think they are qualified because they are celebrities....the Hollywood crowd hasn't figured out we are tired of them....they are obnoxious and think they are above the law when they break it. Nope....

April 9, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Anne

Sure why not... Arnold is Governor of CA, Kumar from "Harold & Kumar" is working for Obama...tomorrow I'm going to change careers and do something I have no experience in too...why not. Let's all go into office.

April 9, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. Joe

Hmmm... Vote for a guy who had that wacko Sylvia Brown on his show all the time? I don't think so.

April 9, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. NYC REPUB

??????? More power to him, I guess....at least he's getting involved.....

April 9, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  5. RR

it's no bigger of a joke than schwarzenegger and franken!

April 9, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Ed from Wisconsin

I never knew Williams suffered from multiple sclerosis, I wish him the best.

April 9, 2009 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. rachae

I think it is funny that they describe Montell as a liberal. I am pretty sure he is republican.

April 9, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. Johnnieg

My mother use to say ,"If you can;t say anything nice about someone don't say anything.".............................
    Get the drift here?

April 9, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. JB Cal

phoenix86–Hey if Franken can do it and Obama can get elected, you don't need any intelligence or qualfications to be an elected official
    -------------------------------
    I think that was proven with Bush and Chaney.

April 9, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. cut me a break

hope he is kidding......what a joke that would be!

April 9, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. david

never seen his TV show or heard him on any radio program. apparently, he is some kind of a celebrity and that says it all. tired of unqualified celebrities such as arnold who has ruined the state of CA.

April 9, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. Mari

@ Jackie in Dallas.......... Well said!

Its good to have a 'regular' citizen want to get into politics, wish there were more of us, 'regular' folks willing to.

@ "Truth".......... just like the far-right embraces Chuck Norris, and Ronald Reagan, actor turned politician, or Charlston Heston???

Its so hypocritical of the GOPers to despise "Hollywood" unless the actors are GOPers also!

April 9, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. J.Crobuzon

How could he possibly be worse than Bush or Gingrich? We know he's not a molester or into airport bathrooms.

April 9, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Lisa T

Truth April 9th, 2009 1:05 pm ET

The Liberal Left will embrace him as they embrace all celebrities.
    ____________________________________________________
    Naw, we didn't embrace Ronnie or Arnold. Thanks for playing though!

April 9, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. pam Eugene OR

I would like to see more of the celebs like Limbaugh, Hannity ,O'Riley, and the like run for a position in government. It is so easy to sit on the sidelines and throw stone while making millions. Being elected and actually trying to change things is so much more difficult than being a loudmouth with nothing to contribute.

April 9, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. b franklin

Since he has experience with fake money (the Obama coins) he should be Treasury Secretary.

April 9, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  17. Li

It is the arrogance of people of celebrity status that prompts them to run for office. After all they have one of the most important components for becoming a politician and that's name and face recognition.

April 9, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. Jaye, HI

I think he would be good, as he has always cared for people.

April 9, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ Mari

Don't forget Fred Thompson

April 9, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. james alexander

I hope he's not looking for the black vote. because obama has not done anything for black people or minorties. nothing, and blacks were so rushed to vote for him. and everything is still same the way george w bush left it. poor blacks still at the bottom since the 1800's.

nothing is going to change.

trust me
    obama was a mistake for blacks. he's hurting not helping

April 9, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  21. Chi Town

He could have a big following...

Most Democrats know him pretty well from TV...

Republicans aren't as familiar since they are at work during daytime TV.

April 9, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Pat F

Montel is as qualified as The Obamessiah – neither one has ever run anything except their mouths.

April 9, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Jim L.

good for him!

April 9, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Nancy Gallente

Montel's sister Clolita Williams, who is an attorney would make
    a much better choice. She is exceptionally bright,
    competent and is a person of integrity. She is the person
    who should be in the positive political limelight not him.

April 9, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  25. rick

yeah, considering he is a former marine, and naval officer I'd say chances are he is moderate conservative or conservative dem. But liberal uh uh. I even saw when someone asked him about his military career, and he was like very protective about it, and I think he was an itelligence officer, and from expeirence most intel officers, are pretty conservative. I'm just saying.

April 9, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |