April 12th, 2009

Gingrich: Focus on Obama puppy 'fairly stupid'

News of the arrival of the new first puppy has already caused a partisan split between Newt Gingrich and CNN Contributor Donna Brazile.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich weighed in Sunday on news that the first family has finally settled on a new puppy for daughters Malia and Sasha.

“I hope that the girls love the dog,” Gingrich said on ABC’s “This Week.” “I hope the family – and all the pressure they’re going to be in – finds it useful. And I think that this whole thing is fairly stupid.”

The six-month-old puppy is a Portuguese water dog that the Obamas have decided to name Bo. The dog is a gift to the first family from Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, a longtime Obama political ally who also owns several dogs of the breed.

“It’s great that they have a dog. It’s great that the kids are adjusting,” Gingrich said. “And where they got it from – who cares? It’s a nice gesture on Senator Kennedy’s part to give it to them but who cares?” Gingrich added.

Perhaps it was a partisan difference, but Democratic strategist and CNN contributor Donna Brazile had kinder words for the new first puppy.

“What’s not to like about this dog?” Brazile said Sunday on CNN’s State of the Union. “He’s cute. He’s adorable. But, I hope he’s potty trained,” she joked

1. A. Darton

I sense some bitterness from old Newt. I'm not going to waste my time with this guy, but I would love to tell him that I care, that's who. I am going to read up some more on Sasha and Malia new pup. I'm enjoying it. I remember what it was like when my son got his first puppy. I even like the name Bo. Take go care of the pup.

April 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. The Death of America by Obama

m.obama doesn't like the little dog. Before she realized the camera and mike was on behind her she started to say something completely different but changed it when she say the camera.These people are such liars. Makes no difference what it is they both will lie.

April 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Brian

Newt is a funny man. He has good ideas and raises important issues, but does it in such an angry partisan fashion that you really can't take him seriously. It is a shame that he stands out as such weak leader when there exists such a gaping hole in republican leadership. If he were more thoughtful, patient, and...humble, he could possibly revive his political career.

April 12, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. tony

What I waste of news space......both the story about the dog and Newt's comments – neither of those are news 99% of people could care less. Why not ask Newt about his multiple marraiges and how getting divorced and remarried supports "family values" and protects the "sancity of marraige?"

April 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. dumbocrat alert

that is one hairy, ugly dog !

April 12, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  6. EB

Newt, don't you ever have anything nice to say?

April 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. Franky

You see guys, I told you we'll send the Big Boys...I've never been so proud, Newt is right, who cares about the puppy, this is big news, LOL!!

By the way, where the hell did Newt came? He just bust out of nowhere, LOL!!

Later guys...

April 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  8. E.C.Coleman

Thank goodness, someone with intellect has spoken out about this ridiculous situation.
    "The whole thing is fairly stupid.........." sums it up well!
    The obamas keep stating that they want to 'shield their kids and have they grow up in a normal situation............."
    Who are they kidding? Themselves?
    These entire issues, the playset, the garden, the puppy...........has brought their kids 'front and center' unnecessarily.
    Don't think everyone in this country doesn't think this.......
    They get it!!!!

April 12, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  9. John MacDaniel, Huntsville AL

What a great gift to the two children – and what kindness from a great statesman.

It is too bad that foolish people will make much about the gift – seemingly to get their name and picture in the news – but loosing their common sense in the process.

April 12, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  10. Mike

Look, partisanship doesn't make a difference here. Whether you're Republican or Democrat, it's pretty obvious that this whole media attention centered around The Obamas' puppy or the first lady's new dress has gotten out of control. Who the [expletive] cares? He's my president, not my buddy, and so I don't need to know his wife's bra size is or what his daighters had for breakfast yesterday morning.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  11. mikeS

Thanks Newt for sharing your good will for the Obama family with everyone. You almost sound sincere. The nice thing about you versus so many other Republicans is, that you want President Obama's financial plans to help America's economy to succeed. You are truly the team player, way to go.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  12. Mike

Biter old man.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  13. dave

this is why he's fprmer speaker because of idiotic statements like this.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. Ross

Gingrich's comments reveal his mean spiritedness and undermine his credibility as a critic of this administration. I am surprised that he would waste his political capital on such trivia. Better for him politically to have kept his mouth shut about an event that is irrelevant to matters of state but is surely of paramount importance to the Obama children.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Peter E

Yes, Newt, we get it. You want us to vote for you as president. Now would you please stop calling the media every time you have an opinion about something?

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Farnk, Las Vegas

Newt is the very typical GOP talking head. He is against anything President Obama does. So the party of No even includes talking down the first families pet. The only thing is "fairly stupid" is Newt and the GOP.

Newt comes on to the scene with his 25 year Old ideas and I'm sure the GOP will follow him right off the cliff. If the GOP is concerned about their lack of elected officials now, just wait until 2010 when the republican party will look more like the republican group. America has changed, grown and now sees the GOP for exactly what they are. They preach fear and tax cuts and nothing else. 2010 can't get here soon enough.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. La Chatte

Yes, Newt, the brouhaha over the dog is kind of stupid, but apparently Americans need warm fuzzies right now, thanks to the state of disaster the country's in as a result of the self-serving greed-mongering of the last eight years.

So, yeah, all this attention is on the silly side, but your statements merely serve to emphasize what a basically nasty person you are. You need to get over the FACT that your party was voted out by a large majority of Americans and move on. Do something to make things better instead of continuing to whine. The Bush administration was a nightmare and you're never going to convince most of the people otherwise. So suck it up, shut up, and do something constructive.

April 12, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  18. Sam

Of course, by complaining about it, Gingrich brings more attention to this topic. Brilliant job!

April 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. American

Who cares what Newt (I left my wife when she got cancer) thinks. He's jealous because he wants to be President. However, I don't think anyone would care what kind of dog he would get. Get over it Newt, you are not Obama.

April 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

The overkill of media hype on the acquisition of a puppy for the Obama family is a legitimate criticism.

But, I gotta tell you, Newt (and all the other ornery and clearly unhappy people who will respond on this story) ... it's kind of nice to have a story on the news that lightens the heart and makes us smile!

April 12, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. J Williamson

Oh lighten up Newt! What would you rather talk about – serving your ex-wife with divorce papers while she was a cancer patient? A new puppy seems more in line with those 'family values" you were so fond of espousing.

April 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  22. Jeff, New York, NY

Wow! Barry said he was getting a pound dog. Turns out the pound dog wasn't good enough. This guy is so transparent, it scares me. Bows to Muslim kings, lies to no end. I'm getting the "Impeach Barry" stickers ready because it's going to happen before the 4 years are out. Don't get me wrong, he preached change in Washington and I was hoping there was going to be change. Now, i realize that the only change we're going to get is the change in our pockets from the taxes.

I just want a president who can tell the truth. If the guy was a farmer, an engineer, whatever (not a lawyer), I would vote for him. Honesty goes (and should go) a long way with me.

April 12, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. JDOly

Yea who cares. Thats the leader of the Rep. party. That should be their motto. Who cares unless it lines my pockets with money. Who cares if the kids are adjusting, who cares about dogs and puppies and middle class and etc. WHO CARES. Sounds like a Bushy to me. When Reagans dog was in the white house he was an important part of the first family. Even though it was a pet. Same with Bo. The WHO CARES party strikes again.

April 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  24. Bob

I turned on CNN this morning to catch up on Pirates & Captan Phillips.
    John King "the biggest story of the day is the Obama puppy".
    What a disgrace. Easter Sunday,Pirates, Afghanastan...
    I "will never watch CNN again".

April 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. diva

Boy, what a sorehead Mr Gingrich is. Kids and puppies make most people smile. But losing Repubs can't stand that people like our president and enjoy a happy story now and then. We endured Ms Beasley, the Bush's dog, and others before. Take a deep breath, Newt, and get back to anger management classes.

April 12, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |