April 12th, 2009

Obama daughters to get Portuguese water dog named 'Bo'

The president is finally fulfilling an important campaign promise -- to get his daughters a new puppy now that his campaign is over.
The president is finally fulfilling an important campaign promise - to get his daughters a new puppy now that his campaign is over.

WASHINGTON (CNN)– The frenzy over the First Dog is finally over. The Obamas are welcoming a Portuguese water dog to the White House that Sasha and Malia have named "Bo," according to two Democratic sources familiar with the secretive process.

The sources confirmed an account in Sunday's Washington Post that Sen. Edward Kennedy, who has three Portuguese water dogs, played a critical role in lining up the pup.

The puppy is set to be officially unveiled to the world on Tuesday after the Obamas host their first White House Easter egg roll on Monday.

Filed under: Obama family • Popular Posts
  1. SC

@austhall..If you want to make a difference in the lives of shelter dogs, then I suggest that each of you idiots adopt two or three of them yourselves.
    ----------------
    We have 12 of them! And we are republican. You are the idiot for a comment like that!!!

April 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  2. Mike

Great news for those cute little daughters of the O'Bamma' I saw a quick pix of this beautfily puppy I cant wait to see him at his official in action on the white house lawn.

MY question: What has happened to our new emmisary to the Mid East, George Mitchell? He was sent there over two months back and so far no comments from hin or the administration ? I am very concerned over the silence. On this Easter Sunday and in memory of The Passover, let us all pray that he is not completely frustrated and discouraged and is able to produce some signs of optimism in this dismal stalemate.

April 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  3. Bryan

I love all you guys that complain that this isn't news. So what? Don't read it. Go to the CNN home page and read something else. Every single article can't be about the economy or pirates, etc.

April 12, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  4. Say no to "O"

Don't like Obama, but, I like his dog!

April 12, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. 1 in 58 million

Quite possibly the most ridiculos thing I have read to date. The "first dog" will be "officially unveiled" at the Easter Egg Roll. What is appalling is that so many people eat up this idiot's porridge.

April 12, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  6. InTheTrenches

So much for a rescue dog. What a huge disappointment. This is just going to encourage irresponsible breeding of PWDs – every backyard breeder, irresponsible breeder, and puppymill owner is going to be busy pumping out poorly-bred puppies to satisfy the people who are going to want a dog "just like the President's".

To those who say you can't find a non-allergenic dog in a shelter – baloney. I run a rescue group and I've found poodles (and poodle mixes) and Wheaten Terriers in shelters. They're certainly available through rescue groups. I've got 4 poodles or poodle-mixes available right now, and just placed another – a 2-year old non-shedding cocker/poodle mix that looks almost exactly like Bo – a week ago.

I've been an Obama supporter from the beginning. But the choice of this puppy has left me angry, saddened, and disillusioned.

April 12, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. Jane

Yep they got a dog from a breeder not a rescue dog. Thousands of shelter dogs are killed every day because they are not adopted. It's terrible that Obama has decided to choose this path and not set the example of adopting a homeless pet. And the reason it's so secret?? As the breeder who Biden bought his dog from about the bad press she got –thats why nothing is being released–they do not want this breeder to go through the same thing.

April 12, 2009 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  8. zgomer

We are suppose to care about dogs for the Obuma clan! Who cares at all it makes news and we are suppose to do back flips, This country is a mess and we are suppose to care about this liberals dogs...that is where this country is going to and fast...to the dogs! Idiot libs!

April 12, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. sherey

Is it really anyone's business re the puppy and where it came from? I rather think this is a family decision...made carefully. The water dogs are very playful and the girls should have lots of fun...that's all that matters!

April 12, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  10. bimmer

Mo for Mohammed wud be an appropriate name. Perhaps i Bo is a decoy for Mo.

April 12, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  11. Walter

How nice. The Obamas had another chance to be a good example and adopt a pound or rescue dog. Instead they took the liberal elite position of do as I say not as I do.......on the other hand this elitist choice does indicates the inherent survivability of greed and capitalism.

April 12, 2009 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  12. jaywalker

What a sucky article. There have been more threats of violence against this country from jihadists and other terrorists groups since the election of this intellectual midget than in the previous eight years and CNN posts this ? What a load of crap. I hope the taxpayer isn't having to pay to have the dog dung scraped off OUR White House lawn.

April 12, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Fitz in Texas

TO: AustHall

First of all I'm not an "idiot" as you say and second of all our family does adopt from shelters. We have four rescued dogs, four rescued cats, and a rescued cockatoo.

Our critters have ALWAYS been rescued critters and always will.

People posting have every right to be mad with the fact the Obama's did not rescue a dog. Least you forget, that's what they told us they were going to do. Just one more lie.

As stated in another post, perhaps the Obama's should have watched the show Oprah did regarding puppy mills.

Am I mad the Obama's didn't rescue a dog. You bet I am and there are pure breed rescues. A poodle is a perfect dog with for people that allergic to dogs.

April 12, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. Randell

Who gives a rat's rear what dog the OH'Bamas have? Thay already had a lap dog in Joe Biden. Thay can't seem to keep him on a leash, why would they want another dog.

April 12, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  15. randy

don't breed or buy while millions of dogs die. as an obama supporter he just made his first screw up. i work at a shelter – if he had adopted many people would have done the same. hope the dog pee's in the oval office

April 12, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. Brandon

I have a dog named Bo, a yellow lab. I am now ashamed of his name. Thanks alot Obama. You steal my money, my future, my dreams. Now you steal my beloved dogs name.

April 12, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. barking republican ankle biters

Half the world still eats dogs, I just wish they would eat republicans in stead.

April 12, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. barry's toot powder

Strange that of all people Teddy Boy Kennedy suggests a "water dog". Gee. Wonder what Mary Jo is thinking right now ?

April 12, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  19. Cate Keating

Winnipeg months ago offered up a purebred Portuguese Water dog that had come from a large litter that was rescued from a puppy mill – a letter was sent to the whitehouse making the offering – would have been a nice gesture to accept the gift and would have rescued a dog from a shelter – too bad. . . .

April 12, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  20. Jana

Why is this important? I mean seriously... Aren't there more other things to worry about, oh i don't know, Pirates who captured an American while we do nothing, the economy, etc.

But dog news, woo hoo!

April 12, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  21. Wayne

Hey AustHall, and all you folks that can not appreciate the love and devotion of an animal, I am an idiot who presently owns 4-shelter dogs, two of which have special needs and I too feel the President should have bought one of those dogs. I am also a United States Marine who spent 26-months in Vietnam and received numerous decorations (Khe Sanh). By what some of you wrote I can tell you are NO idiot so why don't you tell all of us something about yourselves, I'm sure we would all be impressed. Thanks, and if you need help reading this I believe there are some pre-schools open Monday, the students will help you I'm sure... Thanks again for your foresight...One of Those Idiots

April 12, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  22. Shea

I don't recall this kind of negative attention on the origins of the Bushes or the Clintons dogs. Why is Obama always being held to a different standard? It seems that the judgmental will never be happy no matter what they do.

April 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  23. Rufus

Wow, now we've got a dog to worship to!

April 12, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  24. Matt, Chico, CA

This got way too much attention... similar to everything else with this family

April 12, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  25. AustHall

To Fitz in Texas:

I apologize you are a "really big Idiot". Barack Obama promised his DAUGHTERS a new puppy not to satisfy the needs of some moron in Texas with too many animals in his home. I am glad that I do not live around you.

April 12, 2009 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |