April 13th, 2009

Alaska lawmakers take aim at timing of Palin trip

Palin will speak at a pro-life dinner in Indiana this week.
Palin will speak at a pro-life dinner in Indiana this week.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is coming under fire from state lawmakers, including members of her own party, over her decision to spend half of the final three days of the legislative session to headline a pro-life dinner in Indiana.

"There are some concerns [in the Capitol] about the focus of our chief executive because she's taken a speaking engagement in Indiana for a 36-hour period with only 72 hours left in the legislative session," state Rep. Jay Ramras of Fairbanks told the Anchorage Daily News.

Earlier, Palin had opted to skip a number of events, including the annual Conservative Political Action conference in Washington. Her aides had cited the demands of the state's legislative session. This weekend, she defended her decision. "I'll be gone for one day. I already have been on record with lawmakers on this," she told the ADN. "I told lawmakers, you know what, 'Please, don't make me feel that I have to ask you permission, lawmakers, to leave the capital city.' "

Two thorny issues remain unresolved as the session draws to a close. Lawmakers want to accept all the stimulus money that has been offered the state, while Palin wants to reject about a third of the nearly $931 million the federal government has offered. And her controversial pick for attorney general - the outspoken Wayne Anthony Ross - has not yet been confirmed.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Eileen

Nice job ms palin – I guess you're proving the addage – when the going gets tough the tough leave town for a speaking engagement. Bad decision, bad display of leadership – but not unexpected from ms palin.

April 13, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. george from alaska

sarah, the job is in juneau...not anchorage, indiana, or dc. if you don't want to show up for work at your elected office in juneau, then step aside and let a more responsible person take over. alaskans are fed up with your selfish narcissistic nonsense. we are going to throw you out of office and on to your attention seeking rear end at the next election!

April 13, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. Jason

Sounds like she has already moved to D.C mentally. If I lived there I'd be a might perturbed.

April 13, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Go Sarah Go

Look on the bright side. The more the GOP gets behind S.P., the quicker it will come to an end. This is THE BEST they have to offer. She does more to increase the popularity and power of the Dems than anyone. The more she talks, the better they look.

April 13, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Fittty scents

She gots to be there, because she is the best qualified. She can see Indiana from her BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!

April 13, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. Chas in Iowa

I still can't figure out where she picked up a Wisconsin accent.
    You can't even see Wisconsin from her house.

April 13, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  7. elana

I'm pleased to see that the Alaskan Legislature and the residents of Alaska are waking up from being "unconscious" and are now realizing what exactly this woman is - A FRAUD!!! Thank God she didn't end up in the White House!

April 13, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Jason B.

Well if I'm not there to sign any bills that I don't like, then "ta-da!" I get my way!

Seriously though, I do have to question this. Due to deadlines she cancels other engagements, but suddenly she's got to go to this event? I agree with other posters, Sarah Palin is only interested in furthering her own career at this point. If she were out of the news for a whole week, she'd stand in front of an oncoming train just to grab the headline.

April 13, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Laurie in Spokane

Jake W in Alaska: The name GINO is fine for Palin....so very true, but when will someone in Alaska begin impeachment proceedings against her? She's making the State of Alaska a laughing stock.

April 13, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Lori

To Ed and the other Republicans that continue to say that Sarah Palin has more 'experience' than President Obama. Ummmm...that argument doesn't work anymore. Obama is now PRESIDENT! Sarah Palin is still a Governor. President Obama now has more Presidential experience than Palin or any other potential Republican candidate out there. Time to go back to the drawing board and find some other friviolous argument to attack the President on, huh?

April 13, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. SD,Michigan

She doesn't want to admit she was just posturing and playing politics with the so called "rejection" of the stimulus money. She wants to be able to say "The State legislators took the money while I was gone, you know I was against it". Or not. Or..against? Or...not?..or..whatever!

April 13, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. dobeman

What's the big deal. She's stated her opinion on the stimulus money. The only thing that can be accomplished by her staying, is that those opposing her view, can try and draft a "compromise," which, in essence, means they'll end up accepting more than 2/3 of the money, which is NOT what she wants.

By her leaving, she's saying, "I don't want 1/3 of the money and I'm done talking about it."

Seems to me like those left back home to figure this out are the ones who need to get off their duffs and make THEIR ELECTED OFFICIAL's wishes, into law.

April 13, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. John

The governments ability to control a women’s body and force them to follow their religious ways is and always will be the most important concern with people like Sarah. We cannot have a country where people are allowed to make their own religious decisions about their own bodies. Until the government is the complete authoritative decision maker for all your religious "choices", everything else is going got have to come second and is simply less important.

April 13, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. Bruce from Alaska

As an Alaskan, I tell you that poor Sarah's ego is out of control-McCain created a political monster when his camp picked her. She reminds me of that WW1 song "How can you keep them down on the farm when they've seen Paree"

April 13, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. RYAN

Palin has made an absolute mess of herself, her family and the Republican Party. She's a mess.

April 13, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. ldk

As a liberal I have absolutely no fear of Governor Palin. What I do fear are all the moron conservatives that actually support her. Now that is scary.

April 13, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Jillie

Just when you thought Sarah couldn't sink any lower!!

April 13, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. J.Crobuzon

Ya know what? I bet she's gonna, like, you know, go politickin' down thar in the States. You betcha she doesn't hafta ask no permission from no lawmakers, no sirree bob, spit I reckon. Besides, she's gonna leave Mister Dude behind her as the Actin' Governor Dude, like she always does.
    You betcha.

April 13, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. Allison

Sarah really needs to stay home....her family is an absolute mess.

April 13, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Alfred E. Neumann

Wow, Alaska Republicans upset that a conservative will be speaking at a pro life dinner.

Democrats object because, well she is a conservative.

Republicans object because she ousted an incumbent Republican governor who had little in the way of accomplishments.

And MSM is all to delighted to run negative Sarah Palin stories.

April 13, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Chloe

I must say, she does keep America laughing!

April 13, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. John

Sarah Palin cannot talk without a teleprompter, does not wear a flag pin and was born in Russia and swam to Alaska as a child. She does not wear a jacket in the oval office and she is a Muslim too.

Are these the unfair attacks you Palin excuser’s speak of?.

April 13, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  23. dee

You know, she was right. She is lipstick on a pit bull.

April 13, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  24. sngeorgia

Pitiful Sarah, is still "an entertainer". SNL please give her a spot to keep us laughing. She's a joke. We are still talking about Sarah because of this. After all, we need a Good laugh sometimes....then we get sick of the jokes........then laugh again......

April 13, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  25. Monika Germany

I sure hope that the alaskan people find out what an incompentent governor they elected and will never vote her into any public office again. she is very dumb and uneducated, if the republican party relies on her they really must be desperate. sarah palin does not care about anybody but herself.

April 13, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |