April 13th, 2009

Alaska lawmakers take aim at timing of Palin trip

Palin will speak at a pro-life dinner in Indiana this week.
Palin will speak at a pro-life dinner in Indiana this week.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is coming under fire from state lawmakers, including members of her own party, over her decision to spend half of the final three days of the legislative session to headline a pro-life dinner in Indiana.

"There are some concerns [in the Capitol] about the focus of our chief executive because she's taken a speaking engagement in Indiana for a 36-hour period with only 72 hours left in the legislative session," state Rep. Jay Ramras of Fairbanks told the Anchorage Daily News.

Earlier, Palin had opted to skip a number of events, including the annual Conservative Political Action conference in Washington. Her aides had cited the demands of the state's legislative session. This weekend, she defended her decision. "I'll be gone for one day. I already have been on record with lawmakers on this," she told the ADN. "I told lawmakers, you know what, 'Please, don't make me feel that I have to ask you permission, lawmakers, to leave the capital city.' "

Two thorny issues remain unresolved as the session draws to a close. Lawmakers want to accept all the stimulus money that has been offered the state, while Palin wants to reject about a third of the nearly $931 million the federal government has offered. And her controversial pick for attorney general - the outspoken Wayne Anthony Ross - has not yet been confirmed.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Alaska needs to keep Palin up there in Alaska – we don't want or need her down here in the lower 48.

April 13, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. lynnrockets

Ms. Palin is her own worst enemy. I cannot recall the last politician that has managed to hurt his/her credibility so much every time that he/she opens her mouth or takes action. She allows her daughter to go on television and the daughter immediately discredits Palin's "abstinence only" policy. Then its. "I won't take the stimulus funds", followed by, "I will take the stimulus funds." Next we had, "Stevens should resign", which later became "Begich should resign", and has now become, "I never called for Begich to resign." I swear, she must need those "special" shoes so that she doesn't fall down when she tries to walk.

April 13, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. Hypocrite hater

The Sarah Palin Comedy Express rolls on!

April 13, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. thomas young

I am an independent pro-choice and pro-gay marriage libertarian kind of a guy who like Sarah Palin a lot and support her wholeheartedly because if both political parties are attacking her, she must be doing something right. Besides, the people who have elected her still love her.
    Above 60% approval according to three latest polls, including the liberal Daily Kos. Alaska has no budget deficit because the governor had set up a rainy day fund two years ago for emergency such as an economic down turn the rest of the country and the world is going through. Certainly Alaska is doing better than New York and California. She is a very smart person, indeed, with a great foresight. Not much you can say about other politicians of either party.

April 13, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  5. Robert

Palin's Priorities = Personal ambition first, Alaskan citizens second.

April 13, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. debee

Sarah Palin may have the title of Gov., but her only goal is to promote herself and her scary agenda. She is a walikng double standard

April 13, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Bleep

You Wait and See.....
    I bet there will be an all out effort to destroy whom ever the GOP picks to run against Obama in 4 years. Gov. Palin is getting it now because she is the most hopfull of the party. Bobby Jindal was slammed big time when he made some followup comments, he also is a hopeful. Whoever is picked will face an all out frenzie to destroy them in same manner as Gov. Palin faced right after her acceptance speech in Ohio....you wait and see. Then we the people need to decide if we will be manipulate to hate someone by these sleazy propoganda experts.

April 13, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Nancy W.

Please ... when are her 15 minutes going to be up. Also, it scares me to death when some of my fellow Americans still look up to this woman and stand behind her and support her.

April 13, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  9. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

She's divisive, ignorant and self-serving. The perfect face for today's Republican Party.

April 13, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Ghost

Ummm..there are republicans in her own state telling her she should stay. So stop the liberal bashing. As if you could...

April 13, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. Branden

Glad to see that she's still incapable of forming a grammatically correct sentence.

April 13, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. grey fox

Well, she doesn't have to ask permission. She is a grown up. She can wander off at a critical time and do some agenda-driven activity and ignore her state if she wants. It does, umm, make me wonder what she might do is she was ye olde commander in chief. Might go shopping or talk to the Sacramento bee keepers during a national crisis. But, then, she doesn't have to ask permission. She is a grown up.

April 13, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  13. Get Over It

To MU – President Obama was not on vacation in Europe. He and a few other world leaders were at the G-20 Summit. What was he supposed to do, stay home? I for one am quite proud of our President who quite obviously can handle several tasks at once. Any President who has the guts to issue an order to stand up to and take out these despicable pirates – on Easter Day no less – has my vote!!

April 13, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. VGal

I hope the Republican commentators are right! I hope Palin is the GOP presidential candidate in 2012! I haven't had a really good laugh since the elections.

I find myself addicted to reading stories about this woman – just to see how she butchers her sentences.

April 13, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  15. Time for Term Limits

Palin is right. The Alaskan legislators are completely unreasonable in requesting that Palin stay in Alaska for the last 3 days of the session. Why would Palin need to stay in Alaska? To show leadership on important pending legislation? Obviously going to a pro-life dinner is a far more important part of her duties as Alaska governor.

April 13, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  16. Jon

Always remember ...

This is how she would be if she were ever to get in the WH.

Not caring about the people who put you there to do your job.

April 13, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Fitz in Texas

Say what you will.....Gov. Palin is a strong woman and we need more like her.

April 13, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  18. you know it

When Republicans show me they understand Separation of Church and State, I might start taking them more seriously. And I'm a Christian.

April 13, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. Chris - VM

I say let her go – she will keep them laughing – she's a great entertainer – and we need the laughs!

CHILL LET HER GO – I MISS THE DAILY LAUGHS!

April 13, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Emma, San Jose

What a dodge on her part! Not a sign of a strong leader to cop out on the issue of helping Alaskans financially.

April 13, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. JakeW

Many here in Alaska have started using the acronym GINO for Sarah Palin. She is Governor In Name Only. She has failed to produce any sort of tangible accomplishments and the ethics violations continue to mount up. She has wasted Alaskan money on a pipeline plan that has no real chance to be built and then pretended to a national audience that a pipeline is being built. So it is no suprise that Palin has again abandoned her gubernatorial duties to pander to her base.

April 13, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  22. Brett from Oriskany,VA

Oh,Sarah, Give it up, already. You are not a presidential contender and everyday your soap opera life and blatant political selfishness make you look more and more the fool.

April 13, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. Joseph, Los Angeles California

As always, it's about Palin, not the state of Alaska.

April 13, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. Lynne

Actually...I meant to say "Be careful what you vote/ask for ! "

April 13, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  25. Mike

Sarah would be like a breath of fresh air as President, as opposed to the ObamaNation we now have to tolerate.

April 13, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |