April 14th, 2009

Did McCain snub Palin on Leno?

McCain left off Palin's name on his list of future GOP leaders.
McCain left off Palin's name on his list of future GOP leaders.

(CNN) - Did John McCain snub Sarah Palin during an appearance Monday on NBC's The Tonight Show?

That's what some pro-Palin bloggers and other political observers claim after the former GOP presidential candidate left out his former running mate when naming five governors who he thought were in position to lead the Republican Party.

"We have, I'm happy to say, a lot of voices out there," McCain told host Jay Leno before listing Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Utah Gov. John Huntsman, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, and Florida Gov. Charlie Crist.

"There are a lot of governors out there who are young and dynamic," said the Arizona senator.

McCain then quickly joked, "I've left out somebody's name and I'm going to hear about it."

Criticism of McCain's comments are particularly fierce at TeamSarah.org, a blogging Web site for Palin supporters.

"McCain, who screwed up his campaign by not voting against the bailout, can't mention Sarah's name on Leno? It hurts the party and it makes him look bad by dissing her a 3rd time," wrote one blogger. "Maybe it's a good thing he didn't become president."

McCain has said in previous interviews it is too early to say whether he will support Palin should the Alaska governor run for president in 2012. His daughter Meghan made similar comments on CNN's No Bias, No Bull last week.  (Video below)

McCain has also praised Palin since Election Day, saying late last year of the Alaska governor, "It's one of the great pleasures I've had to get to know her and her family, and I think she has a very bright future in a leadership position in the Republican Party."

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Gobsmacked

John McCain has dealt with Palin up close and in person, and yet he still won't endorse her. That speaks volumes about what he thinks about her, doesn't it? We should take note of what McCain's silence infers. Team Sarah supports Palin because she's pro-life - that's all. For those of us who are concerned with other issues...Palin's got nuthin'.

April 14, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  2. Tulsa L

He knows that if he even remotely has a chance of getting re-elected he has to either admit he was wrong in chosing Palin as his running mate or just back off from her and stop mentioning her and stop giving her any acknowledgement what so ever....looks like he is doing the latter........

April 14, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  3. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCain is trying to distance himself from Palin and there are so many reasons why: 1) Baby daddy moma drama, 2) Baby daddy moma arrested for drugs; 3) Husband's sister takes 4 year old baby along for burglary and arrested; 4) Alaskans calling for Palin's impeachment; 5) Frontiersman newspaper calling drama "Valley Trash". This family lives off Welfare at the expense of Alaskans. It's hard for McCain to distance himself because he picked Palin.

April 14, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  4. MK

I used to think John McCain was a very smart man. After his Palin pick I changed my mind. I thought he pandered to the Christian right, thinking they still pulled weight at the polls (with their rabid love of Palin), which just showed me he was way out of touch with the public. Now, he is coming out of the fog and making sense again. I still can't trust him to lead, he showed really bad judgement with Palin, but I can at least see him as a sane person agian.

April 14, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  5. Mia

No wonder McCain isn't President? Hah...either Palin wasn't enough to save him, or she hurt his chances more. Her throwdown with Bristol's baby pappa isn't necessarily endearing the public to her leadership abilities.

I don't miss her...in fact, I would feel a lot better about the GOP's future prospects if they let her live out her days in Alaska, attending snowmobile races. I guess the GOP will have to start scouring other beauty pageants to find their future mascot.

April 14, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Ebony

McCain isn't a dummy. He probably likes her as a person, but understands that she isn't ready to be the future of the party. Understandable!!

April 14, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  7. Mel of Alexandria

Senator McCain is finally catching up to what most of us already know: Sarah Palin is good as an attack "dog", but it takes one with more depth and substance to deal with all the issues of the 21st century. Her supporters are blowing in the wind.

April 14, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  8. alvino

Of course he snubbed Sarah, he has no loyalties to people who supported him.

April 14, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. Kim

I am glad to see these kids are blogging for sarah, and have a hobby, but someone needs to let them know that Mccain LOST the election BECAUSE of sarah, not in spite of. She will NEVER be president, thank God, but I hope she is the pick in 2012 by the sill gop!

April 14, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. Kansan

I pray the Republicans choose Palin again...That'll make Barack's re-election a landslide for sure....

April 14, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. Bob Painter

While I'm thrilled McCain lost the presidency, his failing to mention Palin in his list shows he has wisdom and learns from his mistakes.

April 14, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Terry - MO

McCain I understand why you can't say the bimbo's name. I do not blame you in anyway for pulling the genie out of the bottle. Who I truly blame is Mr. Kristol and your camp whom echo and boosted Sarah Palin based upon her appearance only. Charges should be brought against Mr. William Kristol immediately.

Now that the bimbo has gotten a taste of the national scene, and we can't get rid of her – you tried your best to hid her from the world – because you knew she was nothing but a true bimbo but no your camp throught differently. You are still respected in my book – but please can you fly to AK and put the genie back in the bottle never to be realeased again Please make her go away – she is not fit to be walking around period!

April 14, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  13. Jack in KY

Palin in 2012 what a joke!!! These Palinites are obviously not of this planet. I'd much rather vote for Meghan McCain for President.

April 14, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Michael in Houston, Texas

Although he has every right to dismiss her, let's not forget John that it was your who bowed downed and caved in to the RNC and chose that nutcase. So really it is your own fault why you did not win. Sarah Palin will never be President of the United States nor will she ever be chosen as VP again. She will be lucky to retian her Govenorship.

April 14, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  15. CPO Ricker

**Yawn** Tired of the Palin stories. There are 50 US Governors stop singling this one out. I need more actual journalism and reporting on the Obama administration and I don't mean all this fluffy media's love affair slanted positive stories about him either. Get to work CNN.

April 14, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Cleaning up after W

LOL. Maybe McCain's not a senile as he appeared to be during the campaign. Or maybe he's starting to listen to his daughter.

April 14, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. Sam Sixpack

Lets gossip about those awful Republicans while our future tax dollars are distributed to the fabulously wealthy faster than anyone could ever imagine.

April 14, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. jaye

John McShame used Palin to get elected president....and it backfired.
    Not only did it show just how bad his judgement is, it also showed just how desperate republicans were to keep the White House.
    Palin made them look like idiots.

April 14, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. trying to be reasonable in WV

I'll bet McCain has had plenty of opportunity to regret his choice of Palin as running mate. I didn't support McCain, but until his recent campaign, I often applauded his independence. During the 2008 campaign I often wondered what happened to the John McCain of 2000 and his Straight Talk Express.

He completely caved in and pandered to the fringe right of the GOP with his choice of Palin. And he suffered the consequences. Fortunately, the nation didn't have to. I think TeamSarah should invest their energy in keeping her foot out of her mouth. Best way to do that? Keep her offstage and out of the spotlight.

April 14, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. Marie

Poor old John he just couldn't remember her name.

April 14, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Jack in Florida

Finally.....John McCain is having a lucid moment....... There is no way Sarah Palin is qualified to run for President...........she is not even qualified to be a Governor.....WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

April 14, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Edward Blake

Sarah Palin is the Paris Hilton of politics. McCain's not stupid – he knows she's not fit for the major league.

The only ones still interested in Palin are those on the fringe of the right – a minority segment of the minority party.

April 14, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. az voter

Good for John!

It's about time we shuck the nuts from the GOP. The ultra right should split and start their own party ... maybe a Tupperware kind of thing.

April 14, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. Aaron

I don't know if he snubbed her or just confirmed what anyone with a blip of brain activity could have told you if you stopped them on the street and asked. I'm sure that Gov. Palin is a nice enough person in her own way, she just rubs a lot of people the wrong way and very much emphasizes why so many people feel that the GOP is out of touch with Main Street. I think that it is a very telling thing when your own running mate doesn't consider you to be presidential material or a voice for your party.

April 14, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. Alex

McCain doesn't owe her or the party jack. They've both abandoned him just as quickly as he abandoned the very principles that might have gotten him elected.

April 14, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |